The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 133 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#36349 - 10/03/03 03:43 PM Musical Instrument
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Switching the subject just a tad here...does anyone of you Bommers play a musical instrument? I have been kicking the idea around of expanding my mind and learning to play one. I need something fairly easy to learn but at the same time, something I can do for pleasure and enjoyment. Relaxation. I would be diligent in practicing. At least I think I would. Any suggestions? Besides the tuba... [Confused]

I have a friend who has a set of drums she said I could borrow and keep as long as I wanted...??? comments? Also, both of my boys are self-taught and they play any kind of guitar and the drums...plus one of them plays a trombone as well. Teachers among me...if I can hog tie them. I can play a tad of piano by ear...and I am coordinated and have large man-size hands. WELL? Your help would be appreciated and I'm not joking. I really do want to learn to play something. I think music rounds us out. [Big Grin]

#36350 - 10/03/03 03:55 PM Re: Musical Instrument
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
rainstick!!!!

very easy to play........very mellow and relaxing [Razz]

of course you know I'm kidding....I vote for guitar as being easier to learn, lots of basic chording books out there. But I don't play anything so what do I know [Wink] My mom plays piano, my dad the guitar - one of my sons is learning piano and the other guitar. A have a very balanced family.

#36351 - 10/03/03 08:21 PM Re: Musical Instrument
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
I think whatever your heart desires to play would be good. You sound like you have the right attitude about practicing. I think a lot of it with music is the desire and the practice on whatever instrument you choose.
I can't get a note out of the clarinet I used to play so perhaps I don't know whar I am talking about. I didn't like practicing it and would rather have been in an art class.
Have fun with it too.
Maggie

#36352 - 10/04/03 12:37 AM Re: Musical Instrument
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
JJ, you are asking the wrong person here. When it comes to musical instruments I'm pretty clueless.

I admire your desire to learn something new. I think it's inspirational to read how so many of the women in here are persuing new interests at, let's just say, mature ages... [Razz]

Keep us posted.

#36353 - 12/20/06 04:16 AM Re: Musical Instrument
whittlewoman Offline

Loc: upstate New York
I vow to learn to play the harmonica before I die! Today I realized that with my upcoming surgery and 6-8 weeks of healing time, I have the perfect time to realize this dream.
Any advice anyone?

#36354 - 12/20/06 06:53 AM Re: Musical Instrument [Re: whittlewoman]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Whittlewoman: The harmonica is a very easy instrument to play. And you don't need to go for formal lessons for it as you find the notes as you blow and draw for them. Beautiful Dreamer is one of the easier and a good piece to start off with. Go for it!

I forgot to add: have you bought a harmonica yet? If not, best to start with a 10 hole key of C diatonic.

Edited by Lola (12/20/06 07:31 AM)

#36355 - 12/20/06 09:38 PM Re: Musical Instrument [Re: Lola]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Stick to the piano, JJ. Your fingertips get soooo sore on the guitar and makes typing difficult. Not to mention ugly.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#36356 - 12/20/06 10:29 PM Re: Musical Instrument [Re: Dianne]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
How about the tamborine? That's about my speed.

#36357 - 12/21/06 05:09 AM Re: Musical Instrument [Re: Louisa]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Jawjaw, I recently saw the latest installment of "Celtic Women" music show on PBS, where these lovely young lasses are singing and instrumenting in an old castle. Since you're Irish -- Celtic harp? Or you can learn the fiddle and dance at the same time.

Poet and essayist

#36358 - 12/21/06 06:27 PM Re: Musical Instrument [Re: meredithbead]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Cow bell, perhaps?

Boomer Queen of Shoes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved