The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 156 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#212703 - 05/07/11 05:10 PM Amish trail & Jamestown...
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Want to share a tidbit: Yesterday WB and I went geocaching in Lucille Ball's hometown of Jamestown, N.Y. Homeward bound we geocached along the NY Amish trail, aka, Route 62.I witnessed several Amish women dressed in long garb, heads covered with scarfs; they were hand-hoeing yards and gardens. 4 horse and buggy clans passed us on the highway; 2 buggies were filled with children of various ages; 1 buggy was carrying 2 ladies; 1 buggy was carrying 2 men. And we saw an Amish gent plowing a field using an old horse drawn plow. He was sitting on the century-old plow and 4 horses were pulling him through a large field. It amazes me how hard these people work in this age of technological progress. Do any of you live near Amish people? If so what's your take on this lifestyle?

#212705 - 05/07/11 06:05 PM Re: Amish trail & Jamestown... [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi Jabber,

I don't live near any Amish communities at the moment, but for about 20 years I lived in Iowa, roughly 80 miles from the Amana Colonies. Amana is an exit on I 80, and there are several restaurants there which specialize in serving family style meals of an Amish flavor - also what we might think of as meals with a Germanic or Swiss flavor.

The food is always plentiful, plain and simple - but delicious - things like sauerbraten, fried chicken, noodles -- and fabulous pies.

Due to their faith, the Amish attempt to preserve the elements of late 17th century European rural culture. They try to avoid many of the features of modern society, by developing practices and behaviors which isolate themselves from American culture.

The Amish community has a tradition and religion which dictates life in its simplest form, from a general lack of electricity to self-sufficiently feeding, clothing and sheltering themselves.

While famous for shunning modern conveniences, and their plain and modest mode of dress (hence the nickname "the plain people"), the Amish are also known for their beautiful crafts and homegrown, homemade foods. And they also know that people who are not of their religion will buy the fruits of their labors.

That is why, once you get into Amana, Iowa -- and I am sure it is like this in Amish communities throughout the US -- there are shops that sell handmade furniture, blankets, table linens, and food to the tourists.

Of course, there are a number of novels about Amish life, too.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#212718 - 05/08/11 12:53 PM Re: Amish trail & Jamestown... [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Anne,
I have two pillow cases, which my cousin patterned after an Amish quilt. Their quilts are lovely. We have an Amish store
in town which sells Amish made furniture. I know their culture is to live the simple life; but, my heart ached for a young mother I saw hoeing a large garden. She looked to be 8 months
pregnant and had two toddlers running around the yard. What a difficult lifestyle. All I could think is how we're all a product of our childhood environment. Our parents set the examples and we're the end result.

#212730 - 05/08/11 07:34 PM Re: Amish trail & Jamestown... [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Okay enough of that. Today Groovy and I took a helicopter ride
in the sky above Niagara Falls. That was cool.

Edited by jabber (05/09/11 01:15 PM)

#212735 - 05/08/11 11:59 PM Re: Amish trail & Jamestown... [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

I bet the helicopter ride was cool! I've only been in a helicopter once - Steve and I took a helicopter ride in Juneau, Alaska. We flew out over the Mendenhall glacier and then landed on it. I recall it being one of the most memorable parts of our Alaska trip...
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#212744 - 05/09/11 01:16 PM Re: Amish trail & Jamestown... [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Anne,
I've always wanted to go to Alaska. I'll bet that was awesome!
I'd like to snowmobile in Alaska. Mendenhall glacier, WOW!

#212753 - 05/09/11 05:32 PM Re: Amish trail & Jamestown... [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

Jabber, the glacier WAS really cool. No pun intended.

The outfitter for the ride supplied all of us with special boots -- though they looked pretty much like Neoprene over the shoe boots to me -- before we got into the copter. They were supposedly needed to walk out on the ice.

I'm sure providing the boots protects them legally in some way. And, since I'd somehow managed to pack for the whole cruise without bringing along any socks (I'd ended up buying some in Vancouver) I certainly didn't have boots with me. It was, after all, late summer when we took the trip.

The day itself was cold, in the 40s, and now and then a few sprinkles alternated with a weak sun. But it was clear enough to fly and the pilot played this heavenly music over our headphones as we flew. It might have been Enya, I am not sure. All I can say is that the effect was ethereal and magical. Sort of made the whole flying of the glacier thing godlike.

I would love to go to Alaska again.

By the way, I don't swear that musical clip is EXACTLY what he played, but it sure is reminiscent of the experience.

Edited by Anne Holmes (05/09/11 05:36 PM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#212755 - 05/09/11 05:47 PM Re: Amish trail & Jamestown... [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Groovy and I wore something that looked like headphones but nothing was playing. She and I and the pilot were in the front seat. A young Muslim couple were in the back seat. Our ride was amazing, too. Looking at the mighty Falls at ground level and then from a sky high view is a concept changer. It appears so powerful when you're standing on the ground but from the air it looks minute, like a cup of water or something. Leastwise, our aircraft had doors. A friend of mine took a similar flight in a copter without doors. That would be a bit unhinging, for me. Pun intended!

#212759 - 05/09/11 06:09 PM Re: Amish trail & Jamestown... [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

Quote:
Leastwise, our aircraft had doors. A friend of mine took a similar flight in a copter without doors. That would be a bit unhinging, for me. Pun intended!

Oh, I agree! About 25 years ago, before I was married to Steve, I had a friend who took me and the kids along in a small plane, while he practiced what he called "touch and gos," which is essentially landing practice. He would be in contact with the tower, gain permission to land, land and then immediately take off again to do it again.

I was in the front passenger seat and the kids were in the backseat. My son was no more than 4 at the time, and he was hooked. He wanted to learn to fly.

I on the other hand, kept looking at the door and its handle, both of which seemed a bit flimsy to me, and wondering whether my seatbelt would keep me safely in the plane if that door were to fly open -- or off!

We flew from the Quad Cities airport in Moline, IL to the Kewanee, IL airport and back like it was nothing more than skating around the block. We actually landed at the Kewanee airport once - probably for a bathroom break - but there was really nothing to do there. Maybe a vending machine, but not much else.

I can't say this led me to have the bug for flying, though I do think flying anywhere in a private plane would have to be better than going commercial. Guess I'd prefer to have a private jet. And not sit up in the pilot's area.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#212763 - 05/09/11 08:13 PM Re: Amish trail & Jamestown... [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Well it crossed my mind we may not make it back alive. But if a person let fear rule life, they wouldn't do anything. Still I don't want to be foolish; and, flying above the Falls in a doorless helicopter seems a bit foolish, to me. Most of the time that friend was a sensible person. Don't know what got into her that day.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved