The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 187 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#131965 - 11/15/07 07:23 PM Who was your bestest childhood friend???
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
We all had one. You may not have seen her again since second grade or you may still be friends now. Think back and tell how you met, what fun things you did, how it all evolved. Childhood friendships are those first connections with someone outside the home~~~how we learned how to actually have a friend and BE a friend.

#131966 - 11/15/07 07:59 PM Re: Who was your bestest childhood friend??? [Re: ladyjane]
Countrygirl Offline

Loc: The wilds of Scotland, UK
My friend was called Michelle. We used to climb trees, make camps, ride our bikes for miles and miles, and generally spend as much time outside as possible. She was a little bit bossy but I didn't care! We went our separate ways in High School, I got married at 19 and she went to University. We still exchange Christmas cards.

#131968 - 11/15/07 10:20 PM Re: Who was your bestest childhood friend??? [Re: ]
Mountain Ash Offline

My friend Willy who was next door..he and I were a pair.When he went to school before me I was lonely.He taught me how to value male/female friendships .
My friend May is a constant and very dear to me.
Mountain ash

#131969 - 11/15/07 11:08 PM Re: Who was your bestest childhood friend??? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I met my first and oldest friend in the playpen 51 years ago. We lived across the street from each other, and spent every waking moment together for our first 8 years before I moved away. I have such fun memories of those years and all of our daring escapades. I was so much bolder than he was in those years, and led him into all kinds of trouble!

We've been writing letters, sending cards and emails ever since. We haven't seen each other in about 10 years, but we both know that we are forever friends.

(Maya Angelou)

#131970 - 11/16/07 01:03 AM Re: Who was your bestest childhood friend??? [Re: Eagle Heart]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
My closest childhood friend was a girl who was Chinese-American who was older than I by two years. I confessed all to her about my abusive childhood that I had never told anyone else throughout my childhood. I spent my entire childhood, when with my parents, being physically abused and never told anyone. I felt ashamed, etc.. As an older child, a "pre-teen," I became ranked in tennis in my state. I met this girl through the tennis circut. She took me under her wing on the circut and we were doubles partners.

For some reason, I told her where the belt marks came from on my legs. I was covered with cuts and bruises at all times and she cared enough to ask, so I told her.

She was a ranked player too so my father respected her. She took advantage of this and spent the night at my house so he could not hurt me and had me spend the night at her house if she did not stay with me. She stopped my abuse then and there. My self esteem bloomed with my tennis ability and dancing accolades and I started to get self esteem.
The next time my father came to hurt me, I ran outside and picked up a big branch. I yelled at him that if he hit me I would hit him and I meant it.
He starteed crying and later came to me and apoligized. I told him it was too late.
This older friend, who was soon old enough to drive us, old enough to work for her own money, and later, old enough to help me get a part time job in school, single handedly helped me stop my father from beating me. She was so special and I loved her greatly.
Later, I was under contract to MGM when my body filled out, and she went on with tennis and then on to college and we lost touch. I don't know what she thinks at this time in our lives about those times.
She lives in the same city as I. I should try to find her.

dancer

P.S. It would be a long time till I told anyone about my pain again.
In fact, I confess it to no one again at this time of my life. I trust deeply very rarely.

Edited by dancer9 (11/16/07 01:13 AM)

"Question your privilege"

#131971 - 11/16/07 07:39 AM Re: Who was your bestest childhood friend??? [Re: dancer9]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I cannot pick "bestest" out of six friends I have known for nearly 46 years. It would be like picking a favourite child in the family. We met in school and lived together 24/7 for many years since we were 6 years old but, have always kept in touch over the years so, it's almost like living next door to each other even though we now live in different cities and countries. These friendships remain close, despite time and changes in our lives. Before the six friends, childhood friendships were difficult to cultivate because I lived in a neighbourhood where folks were transient residents with the accompanying lifestyle.

#131972 - 11/16/07 09:30 AM Re: Who was your bestest childhood friend??? [Re: Lola]
Mountain Ash Offline

Can I tell of a girl I tried to befriend.Her name was Jean and in our class at school.Her family were tavellers.In UK were people who lived mostly in tents.Her tent was pitched at a ruin and she was often unwashed.Winter and summer she wore rubber boots without socks.In summer they were cut down and we could see a worn line where the boots had chaffed.
Some boys would play tag..touching her then "passing on germs" as they played.
She smelled and really thinking back I dont know why someone in authority did not intervene.The physcological damage she must have endured.There were four of the family at school.
My friend asked Jean home for tea..when asked if she would like an egg as part of her tea Jean said she ate them raw.(I only found that out when reminising with my friend as adults.)We were nice girls and tried our best to include Jean.
So age 13 years we had a medical.Down to panties stuff.We went in twos...I planned to go with Jean knowing I would never say what she wore.(These boys again.were being awful)
The day came and we went in...At break Jean went to the boys and said..Mountain ash is fat..she wears navy knickers and has a bra.This was my secret .The boys started on me.
So the heat was off Jean.But I totally understood at that age that hurt people hit out.That lesson was important.To see the effect bullying did.
Also that despite meaning well things can backfire.
I have taught travellers at college and now they have good sites have a structured life and are entitled to their way of life.Indeed its their heritage.

Conclusion..Friends come in many guises to teach us about ourself.
Mountain ash

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved