The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#107337 - 02/11/07 01:55 PM Do you go nuts cleaning when life gets crazy?
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
Please tell me I'm not the only one that does this. It seems like all of a sudden many friends/aquaintances/family members are seriously ill......in the past couple of weeks we've had news of two deaths, two others with terminal illnesses, and I've been helping out one 84-year old neighbor who is declining rapidly. On top of this my doc has started me on meds for cholesterol, I've had a headache and neck pain for days and don't know if it's new workouts at my gym or side effects of the meds....I was cruising along just great and all of a sudden stress seems to be coming at me from every direction.
So yesterday I cleaned the entire house -- I was a woman obsessed. Seemed like I couldn't control all this other stuff, but this was something I could control and get organzied. Does anybody else get into cleaning mode when things around you get crazy?

#107338 - 02/11/07 02:36 PM Re: Do you go nuts cleaning when life gets crazy? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ann, sorry for all your troubles. Yes, I've gone house clean crazy when life's interruptions are above my control. I believe we do this b/c it is something we can control and organize, whereas illnesses we cannot. Also, it is productive and keeps our mind/body occupied during those times when we have no control over situations. Now that your house is clean, perhaps you could take a break from the gym and relax, rejuvinate, and be prepared. My prayers are with you and all those in your heart.

#107339 - 02/11/07 02:45 PM Re: Do you go nuts cleaning when life gets crazy? [Re: ]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Ann,

I too am sorry for your stresses. I am just the opposite. I almost shut down when I'm that stressed. I always wished I would turn into a cleaner...it just hasn't happened.

#107340 - 02/11/07 03:24 PM Re: Do you go nuts cleaning when life gets crazy? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Ann, I'm sorry you're going through all that stress. I can relate to the cleaning thing, though. It is something we can control. Sometimes stress can cause excess energy, and cleaning can help disperse that energy in a productive way. But it is also important to de-stress with relaxation. Too much stress can cause the body to over-compensate for the adrenaline - sometimes in bad ways. So take care of yourself and take some time for pampering - even if it's just a warm bath or watching a funny movie.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#107341 - 02/11/07 03:43 PM Re: Do you go nuts cleaning when life gets crazy? [Re: yonuh]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I am in full agreement with yonuh. Take care of yourself. Do something very nice for yourself. You can only be there, fully, for others, when you are first there, fully for yourself.

Sorry to hear about all the stress. Please, do take care and love yourself.

#107342 - 02/11/07 04:57 PM Re: Do you go nuts cleaning when life gets crazy? [Re: Anno]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Ann, when you're finished, you can come to my house...
Seriously, I wish I reacted that way when I'm, stressed. I'm like Jane, I get numb and can't do anything.

Breathe in deeply, dear, and lean your head on someone's shoulder

#107343 - 02/11/07 10:02 PM Re: Do you go nuts cleaning when life gets crazy? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Stress makes me neglectful of household duties.

Well, xstitch, at least you try to do something productive with your stress-coping.

#107344 - 02/11/07 10:22 PM Re: Do you go nuts cleaning when life gets crazy? [Re: orchid]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Sorry you are under so much stress, but glad you got your cleaning done. Have you asked your doc about the headache and neck pain? It could be from the meds, BUT stress can effect that area quickly and mightily. Gently run your hand along the angle of your shoulder. If your muscles are taut, vs. giving, they are tense. Tense muscles along the neck can present all sorts of problems. It's not hard to find knotted muscles, with practice. One of the things taught in the old chiropractic colleges is a trick with a strand of hair. Place a strand of hair beneath a page of a Bible. Close your eyes and find the strand. Add a page, trying to feel the hair with each addition. Practice adding pages, until the ability to feel sensitive matter becomes second nature. As you're learning, run your hand gently along your leg muscles (or other areas). You will begin to detect your 'knots,' if you haven't been able to before. I use accupressure when I find my knots. Do you have anyone who can give you a deep muscle massage to your shoulders?

I'm another one that shuts down. In fact, the best therapy for me is a dark room with a soft bed and covers to pull over my head.

#107345 - 02/12/07 03:51 AM Re: Do you go nuts cleaning when life gets crazy? [Re: gims]
klmr13 Offline

Loc: Stars Hollow
Here's one more vote for shutting down when stressed...
Not happy about it, but that's the way I react too.

#107346 - 02/12/07 04:08 AM Re: Do you go nuts cleaning when life gets crazy? [Re: klmr13]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I rarely get stressed, but occassionally get behind in my housework and if my place is untidy, my mind is untidy. Make sense?

chick

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved