The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 189 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#170493 - 01/09/09 12:11 AM Appreciating best friends....
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
What is something your very best friend did for you lately, or that you did for her? How inportant was it?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#170522 - 01/09/09 04:28 AM Re: Appreciating best friends.... [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
A very best friend...(assuming that one is not supposed to count my partner?), if it's a female very best friend, at this time in life, there is not quite 1 friend who fits that category exclusively... probably because I moved to a different part of Canada, etc. It hasn't been simple to develop a deep friendship with another woman since I moved here.

I have a handful of great female friends, where each friendship, we have supported each other morally, etc. for over last 25 years..therefore to witness some major changes in life. Each person we confide/consult one another on certain matters because each friend covers different facets of my life. Very recently, exchanged lengthy snail mails, cards..and more emails.

Several wished me well on my upcoming birthday.

I last did something in person with each of these friends...almost 2 yrs. ago. So next trip to Toronto in late 2009???, I hope to have a lovely meal and long chat on life's highlights with each friend. I usually also bring a little gift each person also.

#170527 - 01/09/09 08:33 AM Re: Appreciating best friends.... [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
I have to say I don't have a best friend in the "real" world at this time either. I miss that, but on the other hand it allows me to concentrate more on my Hubby, Mother and family. Also we have so many hobbies that keep us busy and on the go.

I did have best friends in the past. Of course during school, later as a stewardess and even here in Germany. The last two best friends were wonderful, but for some reason both of them got , - I don't know the right word,…the only thing that comes to mind is; overpowering.

They wanted to take control. The first one kept on insisting I go on vacations with her. My Hubby didn't like that idea at all, which I could understand. She actually got bitter about it, and we both went our separate ways.

My last best friend, here in Germany, was fine till her husband died. She called my husband day and night to help her out with things in her home. That was all right by both of us, for a year,…but it really escalated. She even got bitchy because my husband played too much golf, instead of repairing her household items. It got out of control, and my husband and I both ended the friendship.

So I'm sorry to say I have no "best" friend,…but maybe it is good that way. As Orchid said, many friends for different things in life is a good solution. And I tend to do it that way as well. Besides so many of you really truly fill that friendship gap for me.

#170532 - 01/09/09 01:47 PM Re: Appreciating best friends.... [Re: Edelweiss3]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
My best friend (Kate, if you've read my book) lives on the East Coast, a 15-hour drive/2-hour flight away. We've been best friends for over 30 years. This woman has loved me more unconditionally than anyone else I've ever known. She has loved me through bouts of depression, through trips to the mountaintops, through lapses in judgement, through pinnacles of achievement, through every detour and every patch of icy road. She buys me beautiful shawls to take with me on my trips, just so I can wrap myself in her love while on the road. She understands my limitations - or if she doesn't understand them, she accepts that they are what they are and that I'm still a work (a beautiful work, in her eyes) in progress.

She's a rare treasure, my Kate. When I look in her eyes, I see glimpses of God Himself loving me through her. When I see my reflection in her eyes, I am much more beautiful than the me I can see anywhere else. Her love has been slowly, steadily, patiently healing and evolving me into a better me, a better person, a better best friend.

I'm sure it's because of her influence and love that I'm able to love anyone at all. I know for a fact that Kate saved my life once upon a time, and if not for my Kate, this Eagle would have perished 25 years ago without ever knowing she had wings.

(Maya Angelou)

#170558 - 01/09/09 04:28 PM Re: Appreciating best friends.... [Re: Eagle Heart]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
she bought me a tatoo at christmass to mark my last (and significant birthday)

i am having it done on the 22nd of this mounth.

this is a subject thats lovlie to think read and talk about. I mre to say but i gotta rush, things to do but be back later. smile

#170561 - 01/09/09 06:07 PM Re: Appreciating best friends.... [Re: celtic_flame]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
orchid, late 2009 is just around the corner. You better start buying those gifts. Sounds like fun.

EW, why do women have to go muck up good relationships by dragging husbands into things? She sounds jealous and controlling. Sorry to sound so harsh.

Eagle, I love the idea of wrapping someone in love by wearing a shawl or scarf. Love that. As I sit here with my chatty poncho around my neck an d draped across my body!

celtic, now you have to tell us what the tatto will be... aha!

Christmas morning, Ross handed me a gift with my name on it from under our tree. I was shocked because Ross and I didn't exchange gifts and I'd already received my gifts from the kids.

The package was from a dear friend who snuck it to one of my kids the night before when she visited us to attend the 10:00 Christmas Eve service. I was shocked because it's tough to get things by me. Anyway, our families had spent a lovely time together after the service in our living room reminiscing about growing up in our neighborhood.

We raised our children together and often joked that we could swap houses and still know exactly what had to be done. The kids have grown a bit apart as they all attended different schools and colleges after 5th grade, but we've still vacationed together and get together as families and couples a few times a year.

Anyway, she snuck this gift in and I was surprised. She had a beautiful card with the gift that was about friendship and it literally brought me to tears. Then the gift was a gorgeous wooden angel that's about 10 inches high. I was so touched and wondered what the heck I'd done to deserve it.

This is the first thing that came to mind when chatty asked this question.

I hope others will share.

#170968 - 01/12/09 04:43 PM Re: Appreciating best friends.... [Re: Dotsie]
celtic_flame Offline

Originally Posted By: Dotsie

celtic, now you have to tell us what the tatto will be... aha!

think i gonna use some couler so its be on my left arm well the top part of my sholder ut enetertwined with other tats their.

one big star aheam thats me, and at each of the corners from the center of the star imagine a swirle comming out like swireled lines going anticlockwise, along each of thos lines thers gonna be 8 smaller stars.

so 5 8 are 40 lol.

both frends paying for this are comming to see it done and weer with me on my day itself, i ended up having a few birthday dinners out (i know spoiled even a surprise one weer i onlie knew i was being treated when the birthday cake came out)

but the day itself was spent with thse two women and L so its fitting they be their considerring the significanse to the day, with ink the memorie be added to the collection.

oh and your christmass card. The shop i went to got a new worker, i saw his prtraite portfolio and he's on of best portrite workers iv seen, so i am getting this done AND found someone good enough to do L dedicasion, which was your christmass card. The devine mum and the 3 angels. but i will pay for that lol.

so 22 this mouth and its my new tatoo day smile

oh neither of thse frends have one, j/king they see how it goes but i don't think they like them reallie, the mark of a good frend is one who get you what you want even if it not what they want lol.

#170969 - 01/12/09 04:46 PM Re: Appreciating best friends.... [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

oh my closest frend now keeps telling thir boyfrend no "i am not their frend i her familie" (he gets insecure with sexualitie thing)

i don't care why she had to say that, i just sweel with pride everytime i hear it thats my collest gift.

#170974 - 01/12/09 05:37 PM Re: Appreciating best friends.... [Re: celtic_flame]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Sounds like you have lots of close friends. Lucky you, and so good for L too!

Okay, so the 22nd you'll post a photo of you bursting with stars?

#171021 - 01/12/09 11:05 PM Re: Appreciating best friends.... [Re: Dotsie]
celtic_flame Offline

I have a few good frend sone one very good one lol. Yep since L my better frends are the ones with kids so frendship and entertaining and play dates all roll into the same people.

lol i gess i could do i pic!

lol like a starburst!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved