The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 178 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#165047 - 11/09/08 02:57 AM Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs.
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I'm abit of luddite..In addition to not driving and getting around only by walking, public transportation and cycling, I haven't had the following so far in my tender 49 yrs. of life.. By 50 early next year, I still wouldn't have had:

*a facial
*pedicure, manicure --paying for this
*spa visit (but I go to whirlpools occasionally)
*colouring or bleaching my hair. You heard it...I have...never..tried..this..yet.
*douche (I will never do this. The body has its natural cleaning system.)
*haven't tried antiperspirant (maybe I should.)
* bubble bath. (frankly this is abit late for me to try. I dislike cleaning the bathtub. Daily showers are tops!)
*done deep frying at home. (I probably never will. I'm not that keen on deep fried foods. Will eat occasional donut.)
*roast a whole chicken/roast beef/pork roast. The whole bird cooking treatment. (my rationale: so many other good, easier and just as fancy dishes to try that don't take as long!)
*have a pet, other than a goldfish (latter was when I was a child. The fish died in 7 days.). Really we're not motivated. He had dogs in his life for 45 yrs. of his life but now our lifestyle doesn't quite accommodate care of dog/cat and his allergies to dog hair have increased with time.

#165081 - 11/09/08 04:39 PM Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. [Re: orchid]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Orchid, let's see what we have in common on this list. I've never had a professional manicure or pedicure. Never roasted a chicken, or any meat. Never fried anything (don't eat fried foods) I will never douche. (how did you think of that one?) I've had one facial at an Aveda spa/salon, a few massages, and never changed my hair color. I would like more spa/salon services.

#165083 - 11/09/08 05:41 PM Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. [Re: orchid]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Ok..things in common.. grin

no facial, ped or manicure
no spa visit
yes..color and bleaching hair
douche..no! no!
tried antipresper..not much difference from anything else
bubblebath..OH YES!!! my passtime in need with good music on
no deep frying (not too healthy..and my tummy won´t take it
now)
roast a whole meat..yes! yes! 5 kids..3 of them elite
sportsmen/women (swimming/gymnastics)
pets..yes! dogs!(and fish) but not now. Hope to get a dog
again when I am pensioned.

What would I like to do that I haven´t done?? Travel more..start a site on the net..hmm.. smile

#165191 - 11/10/08 05:31 PM Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. [Re: humlan]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
It's interesting, Humlan, how we in the states say "when I am retired" and you say "when I am pensioned." I assume you mean the same thing as retired? My friend from Germany says women here are too concerned about douche and deoderant. Here is a brief dictionary definition of "Luddite" :
1. Any of a group of British workers who between 1811 and 1816 rioted and destroyed laborsaving textile machinery in the belief that such machinery would diminish employment.
2. One who opposes technical or technological change.

I'd never heard that word before. Orchid, I would never challenge your careful and accurate use of words. What say you about the use of this word? Very interesting choice!

Edited by Princess Lenora (11/10/08 05:36 PM)

#165193 - 11/10/08 05:38 PM Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. [Re: Princess Lenora]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Things I haven't done, that I would like to do::::

Take a ride in a balloon.
Oceon Cruise
Spend a few months in an orphange in a third world country, and help out.
Get more involved with Green peace
Make love by the beach... blush Did I say that?

#165258 - 11/11/08 04:25 AM Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. [Re: Edelweiss2]
orchid Offline

EW-- you would be good at an orphanage in a developing country.

As for the last one...better to get the sand off the beach blanket before... smile

#165259 - 11/11/08 06:14 AM Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Orchid, most of your list applies to me except:
*several months back I tried to color my hair purple. Since it came out navy blue, does this count? And bleach -- NEVER.
*I do regularly use anti-perspirant.
*when I was 21, I had a cat for a few months until it ran away. As a child, I had an assortment of fish, birds and lizards.

I'll add to the never-did and never-wanted-to:
*smoked a cigarette
*injected recreational drugs
*drove under-the-influence
*surfed

And I wouldn't mind:
*a balloon ride
*sky-diving

I'm sure there are more for both lists, but right now I can't think of them.

Poet and essayist

#165275 - 11/11/08 03:28 PM Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. [Re: meredithbead]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
lol, Orchid. You speaking from beach experience?

Quote:
"EW-- you would be good at an orphanage in a developing country."

Now that was a big compliment, Orchid. You have no idea how it did my soul good. Thank you. I majored in sociology, so that is where my heart is. Just recently I have been looking into an organization here; Clowns for Pediatrics. I think I could be a natural, but typical Germany; everything is overly organized. It means I have to go to a clown school. And then you are put on a set visiting schedule.
I would have to think about that.

#165286 - 11/11/08 04:42 PM Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. [Re: Edelweiss2]
orchid Offline

EW, incredibly one of the employers I worked for was a legal aid organization. Its executive director is a great lawyer and manager. He also is a clown and magician on the side! His personality is so unlawyer-like. The story goes when he first appeared for a job interview at this same organization as a lowly lawyer 2 decades ago, the receptionist mistakened him as one of the clients! laugh

Very gracious and always good-tempered.

#165287 - 11/11/08 04:47 PM Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. [Re: orchid]
orchid Offline

Ever thought of being a clown, fairy godmother for all the children hospital wards in your area, EW. You could drive around a magic caravan..from place to place to spread your fairydust happiness to them.

Hey meredith --geez, purple hair thoughts even now. You are one daring woman.

But like you I've never smoked, done recreational drugs either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved