In the past few weeks, I've met/did stuff/worked with 4 different young, university-educated women --all 29/30 years old. Wow, gee....there are some things that are great to see, also just a few things I can't relate-- a tiny gap. Sometimes the generation gaps get blurred to me, because my youngest sister is 39..not far away from these 30 yr. old. (As context I will turn 50 next year). Do any of you work with/have friendships with women in the upcoming generation? This is outside of your daughter(s).
Here are their profiles:

Michelle: My partner's daughter. Now, I've known her since she was 13. She lives solo with her 2 animals. Graduated with a Master's in English. She really got her apt. straightened up, painting and cleaning herself. She doesn't drive, gets around on her own. She teaches English to foreign students full-time. Is creative, paints occasionally.. Highly articulate in self-expression that is focused, but not airy-fairy impractial. However she still views me/other women above us, abit corporate. She changes colour of her hair frequently and drastically every few months -but no blue hair yet.

Brigette- is originally from Quebec. Speaks French at a highly advanced level since she participates in academic conferences conducted in French. Is doing her PhD in Eduation. A newly-wed to her medical student hubby. They just moved off-campus from graduate student housing to reality of an apartment and prepping their own meals. (I haven't asked how this is going.) I met her via cycling. She is fit, jogs alot (has done several marathons) in addition to cycling. No problem wearing girlie colours while doing heavy duty cycling and jogging.

Nadja- a German student who works in my dept. part-time. She is pursuing her 3rd undergrad. degree in Business Administration (after English, then Political Science). She is fashionable..but in a less bohemian way compared to Michelle. She is a neat person --I caught her wiping mugs from the company dishwasher...I mean geez, this is NOT part of her job description. She and her live-in boyfriend like to do everything together. Their relationship "feels" more traditional to me, I've seen how those 2 interact since he works at same office site.

Kat- was pursuing her PhD in music. But is looking at switching maybe to doing Masters in Library Sciences and Archives. She is juggling 3 different contract jobs -one of them in a museum archive. Has worked and studied for 3 months to 2 yrs. each in -Germany and England. Music majors find it beneficial to pursue a foreign language also since it is useful for study of opera, etc. Also travelled in nearby European countries. She drove across Canada in her car and slept in it for 3 months. She wanted see to the country. Enjoys computer gaming with her hubby (who seems a bit withdrawn to me), seems to have a natural mechanical ability since she solves simple computer mechanics on her own for her hubby. Is just starting to get into cycling (which is how I met her). Just sort of perfect sport for an independent-minded, etc. I found her high level of music ability (she also teaches guitar, her signature instrument for playing is electric guitar) combined with natural mechanical ability interesting. Music majors might also be strong in math. (I had a university roommate who majored in music, minor in math.)

To say the least, my brain is abit in awe of this women. All of these women are highly computer literate, some also mechanically inclined. (Michelle willingly opens up computer and do simple stuff to help herself, hookup several peripherals, without her father's help.)

while we might complain about lost,violent youth...this is the generation if they are nurtured..this is what they are becoming: self-aware, confident.