The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 144 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#115918 - 04/21/07 03:34 PM Cost of being woman: Bras, pantyhose expensive
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Admittedly I haven't looked at bras and panyhose in several years. I bought a whole stash a few years ago and have been going through them slowly since then.

Now I am a bit appalled by the pricing...not cheap. And no I don't want those foamy padded bras with underwire, which seem to be everywhere ..they are impractical and hot for summer/cycling.

Being a woman can be abit expensive. Even the poorest of woman cannot ignore the necessity of a bra. Or just the cost of feminine "paper" each month. Just think of the all the cumulative costs over the past few decades of bras, pantyhose and pads/tampons.... and what do men worry about "cost-wise", if they are considerate, condoms.

Edited by orchid (04/21/07 03:39 PM)

#115919 - 04/21/07 04:08 PM Re: Cost of being woman: Bras, pantyhose expensive [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I just came from Vicoria's Secret where I spent $50-some dollars on a precious, little nighty for a shower gift. I know I've lost my mind, but gifts are different than buying things for one's self.

I know I could have gotten something MUCH less expensive at Wal-Mart, but every now and then you have to splurge.

Orchid, I haven't worn pantyhose in eons.

#115920 - 04/21/07 08:16 PM Re: Cost of being woman: Bras, pantyhose expensive
orchid Offline

Quote:

Orchid, I haven't worn pantyhose in eons.

You are like some other women I have heard. Then do you wear...stockings when you wear a dress???

I personally cannot stand stockings. I am old enough to remember the garters holding up stockings...ugh.

#115921 - 04/21/07 09:30 PM Re: Cost of being woman: Bras, pantyhose expensive [Re: orchid]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I usually VS cotton panties 1X yearly when 5 for $25 b/c cotton 'breaths!' Lately, I purchase bras from Kohls when on sale AND mail in for a Free bra! Yet, if I had it my way, I'd not wear bras (must be the little hippy in me!) While in the USAF and wearting t-shirts under BDUs, I'd not wear a bra in the winter, yet in the summer in the event I'd take off my outer cover. One thing about having a 34A/B, they don't droop much! One sister and my and my mother would sniffle/cry with pain after horse back riding. Thus, my sister actually had a breast reduction b/c her back was painful from the forward weight.

I'm not fond of pantyhose, yet must wear them at work as necessary in colder months.

#115922 - 04/21/07 09:35 PM Re: Cost of being woman: Bras, pantyhose expensiv [Re: ]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I can't remember the last time I wore pantyhose. I do wear tights in the winter occasionally if it's cold enough. Summers I go bare-legged - Tucson is more laid back and I've been lucky enough to work in places where the dress code is more casual. In winter, I generally wear pants with knee highs. On the rare occasion that I dress up and can't go bare-legged, then I wear thigh highs or pantyhose - but only if I have to! As for bras, I wear strapless bras (when I have to wear one) I buy at Target (Gilligan-O'Malley) because I can never get the straps right and I'm constantly hiking them up off my upper arm.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#115923 - 04/22/07 02:48 AM Re: Cost of being woman: Bras, pantyhose expensiv [Re: yonuh]
orchid Offline

So what are thigh high hose like? I don't mind pantyhose however in past 12 months, I don't wear dresses often..work environment is more casual. It's a construction site.

#115924 - 04/22/07 07:27 AM Re: Cost of being woman: Bras, pantyhose expensiv [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
The last time I wore pantyhose was when I was a waitress for 3 weeks in 1971. The last time before that was in 1966. I haven't worn the garter thingies since before then.

I even got married in white opaque tights. I HATE nylons!

Poet and essayist

#115925 - 04/22/07 01:16 PM Re: Cost of being woman: Bras, pantyhose expensiv [Re: meredithbead]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
I haven't worn pantyhose in ages. We had to go to a funeral recently and I wore slacks but decided to dig around in my drawers til I found a pair of knee-hi hose.......felt funny barefoot in my dressy shoes (I'm usually a deck shoes or sneakers or barefoot gal) and the only pairs I could find were so old, they had practically dry-rotted in the drawer........and had NO elastic to hold them up at all..........which I found out as I had to keep tugging them up to my knees all day. At that point I decided to go pick up a few new pairs of knee-hi's and pantyhose in case an emergency comes up and I need to get dressed up -- picked up a few pairs at Walmart (L'Eggs I think is what I bought).
Bras -- ah, they're a problem. Prefer cotton(hey it gets hot down here in Florida) don't like underwire (they're NEVER comfortable and it's not like I'm that big and really need it). Have a couple of those "t-shirt" bras-- padded and smooth-- but don't wear them often -- yea those foamy padded bras with the underwire (mostly purchased them to go under certain outfits. Only wear them if the top I'm wearing looks better with them. But they're not comfortable either). I have found some comfortable cotton bras (with no seams across the cup, sheesh I hate those!) by Jockey and Hanes. Hard to find comfortable bras that fit well at any price (18 hours, who are they kidding?!?!)
A lot of my time is spent in sports bras. And they can get pricey too.

#115926 - 04/22/07 01:33 PM Re: Cost of being woman: Bras, pantyhose expensiv [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Dotsie, I agree when you are buying a gift you want to feel good about giving it. I'm sure your expensive nighty was much appreciated!
And it's true, men don't have to spend nearly as much as we do for their undergarments!
Not Fair!!!!!!!

#115927 - 05/02/07 02:07 AM Re: Cost of being woman: Bras, pantyhose expensiv [Re: TVC15]
Anonymous
Unregistered

About 15 years ago is the last time I wore thigh high panty hose, while walking home from the NCO club they fell to my ankles while wearing a leather mini skirt! Luckily it was dark and I walked rather fast to the dormitory! I thought to myself that if I were caught with the thigh highs at my ankles, I'd say they were bobby socks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved