The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 119 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2315 - 02/15/05 06:03 AM An old hen amongst the new chicks
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
I've been to a coffee morning for pre-school mothers this morning - I made myself do it - and I just need some ideas in relating to these so YOUNG! mothers without feeling like the grandma. I was just upfront about my spreadout family and didn't pretend to be anything but myself - put my name on the fundraising committee...but I'm scared to death! Help! Please remind me of the basic rules of getting to know and be accepted by these girls [Roll Eyes] ! I know I have to try and join in for my daughter's sake.

#2316 - 02/15/05 10:06 PM Re: An old hen amongst the new chicks
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Julie,
You will do fine. I was an older mom when our son was born. He went to school with some of the kids I taught. Talk about feeling like a grandma. Once they get to know you they will realize how much you can help them and then its vice versa. They too love to give advice and if you're willing to accept it you will learn a lot about the young generation.
It is scary at first though and we were uncomfortable a lot. One of my husbands former students is our neighbor we have found we both enjoy scrapbooking. Its a small world.
Maggie

#2317 - 02/17/05 12:11 AM Re: An old hen amongst the new chicks
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Julie, all I can think about is how much you have to offer them. You've been there, done that when it comes to raising kids. I think they'll flock to you for advice. Especially since you're such a wise, thoughtful woman. Relax and keep being yourself.

Can you put your finger on why you are "scared to death"?

#2318 - 02/20/05 10:45 PM Re: An old hen amongst the new chicks
MClubPrez Offline

Loc: Ohio
Julie, just don't schedule a dental appointment for the same day as a school volunteer job.

I showed up with a lip full of Novacaine to read Valentines at my son's Kindergarten party. The other mothers and teachers probably thought I was drunk. I tried to explain, but how convincing could I be with a lopsided smile? There was also definite droolage.

There are still rumors flying around that school about me.

#2319 - 02/21/05 12:10 AM Re: An old hen amongst the new chicks
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Kathryn, how old are your children?

#2320 - 02/21/05 05:39 AM Re: An old hen amongst the new chicks
MClubPrez Offline

I have three sons: 23, 21, and 13 (proving that God has a sense of humor)

I am not as involved at school as I was when the first two were in school. But I do travel to all of my teenager's football, basketball, and baseball games. The bleacher seats have not gotten ANY softer!

#2321 - 02/21/05 09:17 PM Re: An old hen amongst the new chicks
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Kathryn, three boys? Oh my gosh. Love that eight year difference! Have you ever considered the hours spent watching them?

I hear ya! Our oldest who played all the traditional sports is now in college. Believe it or not I miss watching him play. He is a fierce competitor and I loved watching his spirit play out on the fields/courts. He still pitches in college for their club team. I only see him play once or twice a year now and it kills me. My husband just got back from visiting him last night. He pitched Saturday so I got the blow by blow account. It brought back fond memories.

#2322 - 02/22/05 05:17 AM Re: An old hen amongst the new chicks
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
Even with part-time work this yar I'm feeling there isn't enough time and I hardly ever get to this forum. Dots, I think I'm just slipping into old habits of shyness and telling myself I'm bad at talking to people. I'm better at it than I let myself believe...

#2323 - 02/23/05 08:21 AM Re: An old hen amongst the new chicks
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Julie, and why do you think that is? Maybe you don't want to become involved again at the same level as when your boys were little. There's nothing wrong with that. Different stages, different interests. [Wink]

#2324 - 02/23/05 08:48 AM Re: An old hen amongst the new chicks
MClubPrez Offline

I agree with Dotsie. Julie, I felt bad about not doing as much at school as I had done ten years before. But you know what? I was not the same mother as I was ten years before either. I was in a different stage and had different interests.

The best thing is my youngest enjoys a big cheering section at his games because his brothers are there too.

But you mentioned a daughter, so maybe you are talking about more classroom oriented activites?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved