The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 122 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#197072 - 01/04/10 03:51 PM Public Service Television: This Emotional Life
Josie Offline

Loc: NJ
Tonight there is a really instructive three part series starting on PBS:

9pm Eastern Time PBS This Emotional Life

Part 1: Family, Friends and Lovers Psychologist Daniel Gilbert ("Stumbling on Happiness") hosts this three-part look at the emotional side of life, beginning with the role that relationships play in emotional health. It details the cognitive and neurological processes of everyday interactions, features comments from celebrities and shares the real-life stories of a boy adopted from a Russian orphanage, parents of newborn twins, a couple in marriage counseling, a bullied teenager and two women grappling with workplace stress.

#197073 - 01/04/10 04:04 PM Re: Public Service Television: This Emotional Life [Re: Josie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Here's a link. It sounds interesting:

http://www.pbs.org/thisemotionallife/series

#197074 - 01/04/10 04:07 PM Re: Public Service Television: This Emotional Life [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

The trailer looks great. I hope I can remember to watch this.

#197155 - 01/05/10 03:07 PM Re: Public Service Television: This Emotional Life [Re: Dotsie]
Josie Offline

Thanks for sharing that link, Dotsie. If you miss the series, they usually have a DVD for sale afterwards. The series sounds really good so far....

#197168 - 01/05/10 04:45 PM Re: Public Service Television: This Emotional Life [Re: Josie]
Josie Offline

Tonight Tuesday January 5, 2010

9pm ET PBS This Emotional Life: Facing Our Fears Part 2 of 3. An examination of the negative emotions of anger, fear, anxiety and despair, including why we have them and how they can spiral out of control. Case studies include a woman whose temper is threatening her relationships; a college student with a fear of flying; a clinically depressed teenager; veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder.

#197220 - 01/06/10 05:51 PM Re: Public Service Television: This Emotional Life [Re: Josie]
Josie Offline

Tonight Wednesday January 6, 2010

9pm ET PBS Rethinking Happiness: Conclusion. A look at happiness, what it is and how to attain it, featuring the stories of people facing major events in their lives, including a cancer diagnosis and the death of a child. Also: why people often are wrong about will bring them happiness; what research has to say about activities and qualities that foster happiness; the role that friends, family and the wider community play in one's happiness.

#197228 - 01/06/10 09:02 PM Re: Public Service Television: This Emotional Life [Re: Josie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Josie, I've watched bits and pieces of this while dozing. I've found it to be rather sad. he segments I saw had to do with adoption, Asberger's, and PTSD with the vets who had returned home. I'm not sure if I can watch it tonight, but it seems like this last segment will be more uplifting.

#197246 - 01/06/10 11:55 PM Re: Public Service Television: This Emotional Life [Re: Dotsie]
Josie Offline

The subjects of fear, anxiety & depresssion are often hard to contemplate, so I figured Part 2 dealing with those topics might be a downer. (On the plus side, I did learn a few things which helped me personally)

If tonight's "This Emotional Life" Part 3 conclusion on the subject of happiness is not so very upbeat, maybe we can tape it for viewing at a later date, and catch the People's Choice Awards with Queen Latifah instead.

#197251 - 01/07/10 02:09 AM Re: Public Service Television: This Emotional Life [Re: Josie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I have it on now. I hope I can stay awake. Thanks for telling me about this.

#197253 - 01/07/10 11:41 AM Re: Public Service Television: This Emotional Life [Re: Dotsie]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Thanks for the heads up on the programme, Josie. I can only catch snippets of it on YouTube and the PBS website. I, however, jumped on the topic on "Happiness..." out of self-interest. "What’s the best way to help others be happier?
The answer is simple. Be happy yourself...".

Off to read more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved