The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 184 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#192300 - 10/22/09 07:49 PM British Television
Josie Offline

Loc: NJ
Oct 15, 2009 From Josie :

Lola: I received the entire collection of "Keeping Up Appearances" for Christmas and adore the character of Hyacinth Bucket. I even have the Hyacinth Bucket's "Book of Etiquette for the Socially Less Fortunate." hahaha

Since my husband lived for several years in the UK, our home is solid on the BBC for excellent coverage of international news. He loves "The Black Adder" while I gravitate toward things like Masterpiece Mystery. Kenneth Branagh certainly deserved those awards for "Wallander."

Over on the new Books-Movies-TV section, I'd love to hear what is popular these days on British TV.....

#192301 - 10/22/09 07:50 PM Re: British Television [Re: Josie]
Josie Offline

Oct 15, 2009 By Lola:

"I love Hyacinth! Does'nt she just top it all? She and her Royal Doulton with the periwinkles. LOL!"

#192302 - 10/22/09 07:51 PM Re: British Television [Re: Josie]
Josie Offline

Oct 15, 2009 by Josie

"Whenever the Vicar sees Hyacinth and runs for the hills, I'm in stitches. And husband Richard with his priceless expressions.....lol...

Don't tell anyone, but my own husband thinks I dress just like Hyacinth: same coordinated outfits, the hats, the pearls (I even wear pearls with tee shirts.) And some of my own relatives are duplicates of Daisy and Onslow. Unlike Hyacinth though, I have NO desire to hang out with the Donald Trumps of the world. I love the simple life far too much!"

#192303 - 10/22/09 07:52 PM Re: British Television [Re: Josie]
Josie Offline

Oct 15, 2009 by Eagle Heart

"We're huge fans of some of the British shows - Waiting for God being top of the list. We also watch Keeping Up Appearances, but sometimes I find it more stressful than entertaining, LOL!

Josie, I love your idea of adding TV & movies to the forum. There have been times when I wish I had somewhere to go to talk about stuff going on in various shows, but don't have anywhere to go. One problem we have here in Canada is that some of our soaps (esp Young and Restless) air a day earlier than in the US, so I can never talk about what just happened, because it hasn't happened yet in the US and I don't want to spoil it for anyone."

#192304 - 10/22/09 07:53 PM Re: British Television [Re: Josie]
Josie Offline

Oct 15, 2009 by jawjaw

"OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOSH! I cannot believe I have found other fans of Hyacinth on here! Do you not just LOVE that show? Here are my favs---as you can see from the listing I'm totally hooked on British TV. LOVE IT!"

Keeping Up Appearances
As Time Goes By
Masterpiece Theater - any of them!
CSI: ANY TOWN
Criminal Minds
Law & Order
Law & Order: CI
Law & Order: SV
NCIS
Castle
Dancing with the Stars
Biggest Loser

#192305 - 10/22/09 07:54 PM Re: British Television [Re: Josie]
Josie Offline

Oct 15, 2009 by Anne327

"This will sound odd, but if I feel crummy about my life I just turn on the Jerry Springer show....all that fighting, and all on-camera in front of millions.....it reminds me how fortunate I am to not have created such situations for myself.

Jawjaw, those British comedies are hilarious. With 7 PBS stations to choose from, plenty of good ones to watch. Also NCIS is adding a new location.

Lola, the first time I saw Hyacinth she was trying to convince someone her last name is Bouquet, and not Bucket. She's hilarious."

#192306 - 10/22/09 07:56 PM Re: British Television [Re: Josie]
Josie Offline

Oct 15, 2009 by Chatty Lady

"I adore Hyacinth and all her wild and wacky family, our Rose, Daisy and Onslow, Daddy and of course Bruce and Violet, and poor Elizabeth her next door neighbor... I won't even go out to dinner on the weekend until her show is over. I love the outfits she wears, all matched from head to toe. The faces she makes are hilarious especially when someone calls her on her white, slim line phone, to ask about Chinese take-away.

I have always watched Criminal Minds and like it and the newer Castle show, his being a writer and all. Monk is into his last season before going off the air, I will miss Monks show.

Heads up, there is a new show starting on the comedy channel on October 22nd. at 9:00 p.m. Pacific time. Make a note of it, it's simply called:
THE JEFF DUNHAM SHOW. He is a ventraliquist/puppeteer and his puppets look so real is amazing, and he is one of the funniest comedians I have ever seen and you will die laughing.

MY favorite of course, no surprise to anyone, is HGTV, the Food/Cooking Channel..."

#192307 - 10/22/09 08:09 PM Re: British Television [Re: Josie]
Josie Offline

Oct 16, 2009 by Lola

Quote by Anne327: "Lola, the first time I saw Hyacinth she was trying to convince someone her last name is Bouquet, and not Bucket. She's hilarious."

Response by Lola:

"Riiiing, riiiing...

"The Booooouquet residence...the lady of the house speaking..."

And, it always seems one of the two: a Chinese restaurant customer or Sheridan with updates on his activities and Tarquin.

Or, her other famous line when her neighbour, Elizabeth, is in her house and the phone rings:

"It's my sister Violet who is married to an accountant and lives...and a pony". Now that always cracks me up!

Love, love, love Monk! And...Scrubs!"

#192308 - 10/22/09 08:10 PM Re: British Television [Re: Josie]
Josie Offline

Oct 16, 2009 by Mountain Ash

"Hyacinth
so often I am reminded of her snobbish ways in every day life.Yesterday a woman from church told me at a store she was going to "Down south to her daughter.. detatched house.. private school lovely place"

so the very observant writers must have antena working..
Life mirrors art or visa versa"

#192309 - 10/22/09 08:11 PM Re: British Television [Re: Josie]
Josie Offline

Oct 16, 2009 by Eagle Heart

"Lola, we're big Monk fans too!"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved