The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 125 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#35806 - 06/06/05 01:39 AM Favorite Genres
writegirl1949 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I'm the guilty party ... looking for a forum about who's reading what. LOL. This forum is so huge I could ramble around for days and still not see everything.

BUT ... I'm interested in finding out what genres women are interested in?

And in particular, do you like books to be a little more like real life or do you prefer the "happy ever after endings?"

I just read an article that summed up the New York Book Expo (not sure if that's the exact name) and, according to the article, the trend is that people aren't browsing the bookstores so much anymore. They have definite likes and prefer those.

I know that I'll go into Amazon.com and search for genres or keyword searches to find the types of fiction I like to read and those are the ones I'll purchase. Since I'm in Germany, I'll usually order on line. I'll browse the library or used book shelves more often than bookstores to find something new I might enjoy.

Anyway, I'd be interested to know the genres that you find most intriguing.

Blessings, Francine

#35807 - 06/06/05 02:31 AM Re: Favorite Genres
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I write and read many genres, Erotica, Health issues, New discoveries for beauty and Mysterys. The genre I most adore is the psychological thriller, Mystery. I have yet to publish a Mystery but keep trying. My Erotica pays the bills and is in demand, oh well, what can one do? [Cool]

#35808 - 06/06/05 04:50 AM Re: Favorite Genres
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Well I'm a big fan of mysteries (obviously) but also like thrillers of all type and true crime. While that's what I read the most of, I actually read just about anything that sounds good - I can spend HOURS in a bookstore just reading jackets and just wind up getting whatever strikes my fancy.

Oh - and of course I just LOVEEEEEEE books by my fellow Boomer girls...I've got a shelf full!

#35809 - 06/06/05 09:10 PM Re: Favorite Genres
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Right now I like to read Romantic Suspense. That's because I'm writing a Romantic Suspense novel. I like to read Women's Fiction as that is the main genre I write in.

I don't require that books I read have a HEA ending; but I'd prefer that the bad guy lose and get caught or die in some way.

I have a very eclectic collection of books here at home. I read everything from Piers Anthony's Xanth Series (fantasy) to Stephen King's Horror, to Patricia Cornwell's thrillers, to Robert Heinlein's Sci Fi. And EVERYTHING in between. I love books. I can't seem to part with them once I buy one, either. I have to keep adding bookcases to my "library".

#35810 - 06/06/05 10:15 PM Re: Favorite Genres
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I read anything and everything. Mostly true crime and self-help. Now, there's a strange combo for you! Love books that help me grow spiritually.

#35811 - 06/07/05 04:29 AM Re: Favorite Genres
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Science fiction, especially with strong women characters. Mystery (ditto.) Poetry (non-rhyming, non-"obscura academica"). Fantasy that borders on sci-fi IF and ONLY IF it's not gushy, cutesy or formulaic (damsels-in-distress and talking dragons -- NOT). Select fiction.

#35812 - 06/07/05 07:52 AM Re: Favorite Genres
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
WOULD SOMEEEEEE BODY PLEASE SAY HUMOR?

JJ

#35813 - 06/07/05 08:19 AM Re: Favorite Genres
chickadee Offline

I like reading humor, fiction humor, romantic humor, sci fi humor, horror humor, self help humor yadda yadda yadda. [Wink]

Right now I am reading a great book called "A funny thing happened on the way to the throne" by Georgia Richardson. Ever heard of her?

The book is priceless and I have laughed out loud more than once.
I love her humor!

chick

[ June 07, 2005, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

#35814 - 06/07/05 11:04 AM Re: Favorite Genres
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
The reason I didn't mention humor is that so few people are good at it. However, I just purchased the same book that chickadee has, I've read a few excerpts, and THAT WOMAN IS REALLY GOOD AND FUNNY!!! [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

#35815 - 06/07/05 05:50 PM Re: Favorite Genres
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

well now...sniff...sniff...that's more like it. Ahem (Queen putting away the tissues). Actually, the reason I say this is because all across this great Internet of ours humor seems to be left out when mentioning categories of writing. Oh fiction and non-fiction are mentioned, but I feel that humor should have its own place...like Mysteries, or Sci-Fi, etc...I know sometimes when I sign up for newsletters or groups, they will give me a list of genre's to check the one I write. Always...no humor. So...I check them all. What a snot I am, eh?

Wahhhhhhhh....I want my own category!

JJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved