The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 162 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#181438 - 05/04/09 11:03 PM Laundry rooms
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
If someone was remodeling, or making you, a laundry room, what would be your specs? Other than bigger than you have now, any details that you know might be added pluses?

#181451 - 05/05/09 03:06 AM Re: Laundry rooms [Re: Di]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
We just made a laundry room here as part of the giant remodel of the whole house. We have floor-to-ceiling coated-wire shelves that are used to store extra cleaning supplies as well as laundry detergent, etc. I also have a shelf in the south-facing window, over the washer and dryer, where I have all my African Violets. I sometimes wish it were bigger, but our house is just under 1,000 sq ft., so space is a premium. The doors are folding louvered doors with etched glass on the top half - someone was throwing them out and they were sitting on the curb waiting for the brush and bulky pickup, so we brought them home, cleaned them up, and refinished the frame and louvers, and they look fantastic.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#181452 - 05/05/09 03:09 AM Re: Laundry rooms [Re: Di]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
We don't have a laundry room, per se; our basement is too small. But we did manage to turn one of the corners into a laundry area. Here's what we enjoy having in that little area: washer, dryer, big sink (indispensible), ironing board, shelves for holding detergent, dryer sheets, iron, etc., and a place to hang shirts and pants (hubby rigged a pipe up to do the job, but if you're remodeling, you could fix something better.) The other thing I've seen in some laundry rooms is a nice big folding table...useful for so many things, but would especially be great for folding bed sheets!

(Maya Angelou)

#181519 - 05/05/09 05:50 PM Re: Laundry rooms [Re: Eagle Heart]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I have a nice large laundry room, which I love. It is one of the things I liked about this house when we bought it. It has a nice sunny window so I don't feel like I am in a cave. I have 5 kitchen cabinets to store laundry supplies and other things. I have a small base cabinet with counter top for folding clothes ( or piling junk on smile ) And....Along with my washer and dryer in the laundry room, I have a deep freezer and a small bathroom. We also have a coat rack and a little bench to sit down on to take/put our shoes on and off when we come in the house.

#181524 - 05/05/09 06:11 PM Re: Laundry rooms [Re: Cookie]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
We live in a condo. We're just happy to have big in-suite washer and dryer. Sure, it would be nice to have abit more space for me to iron occasionally.

Folding laundry consists of throwing the whole clean pile onto the couch or bed..and starting sorting and folding. He and I would never dream of ...a laundry rm., as an important priority for either or us. Instead, more storage space would be nice in general.

Admittedly if we had an extra rm., it would be for me to muck around with my painting and set up painting equipment, with easel, more permanently.

Different priorities for different folks.

#181526 - 05/05/09 06:23 PM Re: Laundry rooms [Re: orchid]
Di Offline

Great input! Thanks.

How 'bout lighting, other than from outdoors. Tasking lighting etc? I'd like to have a sewing area....and this will prob double as a mud room....I'll mention a wash tub as well. That would be GREAT!!

#181528 - 05/05/09 06:31 PM Re: Laundry rooms [Re: Di]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
What I like about my laundry area is the hanging bar above the washer and dryer where I store empty hangers so I can hang stuff as soon as I take it out of the dryer. Also like the shelves for keeping the detergents, etc. Would love to have the perfect height table for folding! I also have a little bin that I put the coins and junk from pockets in so they aren't all over the place.

#181531 - 05/05/09 07:26 PM Re: Laundry rooms [Re: Dotsie]
Di Offline

Good one.....bar above the dryer for hangers. My clothes line is not far from the outside door, so I'll need an area for catchall...clothespins etc.

What I find in pockets are:

Toothpicks
Coins
Hankies
Nuts/bolds
Dirt
Saw dust
Folded paper towels.

I keep the coins, wash the hankies and toss the rest!

#181679 - 05/07/09 01:54 PM Re: Laundry rooms [Re: Di]
Di Offline

Seeking more input, ladies. Do you store all of your linens in your laundry room? We do not have any linen closets, so right now my linens are in the kitchen in cabinets.

We also have added a new pantry. Previously, we removed all canned goods and Tupperware to make room for linens in the kitchen. Then put the canned goods etc in our old laundry "hall". Our washer/dryer have been out on the back, semi-enclosed porch area for years, which is why the renovations are happening.

#181823 - 05/08/09 10:28 PM Re: Laundry rooms [Re: Di]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My laundry room is the smaller room where my backdoor opens into the house. You enter into the laundry room where the washer and dryer are kept with two large cabinets above them with two shelves each for this and that and laundry soaps and clorox etc. Then across from the W&D are a set of floor to ceiling shelves where canned goods etc., are kept; as this room opens into the kitchen and is a good place to store extra supplies. I have a very small kitchen and could use more cabinet space so this is a real help.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved