The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 165 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#150164 - 06/04/08 08:31 PM painting vinyl windows?
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Does anyone know if it's possible to paint vinyl window sashes? Have you ever done it?

#150165 - 06/04/08 10:32 PM Re: painting vinyl windows? [Re: DJ]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Hi DJ, here's some info I found.
Can I paint my Vinyl Windows? Yes, there are paints specifically made for use on vinyl. With the proper preparation you may also use a good quality latex or oil-based exterior grade house paint. To prep the surface, use a deglosser and wipe the surfaces or use an extra fine sandpaper (180 grit or finer) and buff the surface to dull it, wipe off any dust or dirt and apply the paint.
Painting is not required. PVC windows are virtually maintenance-free as they come from the factory. We do not recommend using dark colors to paint PVC, as the dark colors will "mask" the UV protection built into the vinyl extrusion and may cause possible heat build-up or distortion of the vinyl. Be aware that painting vinyl windows will void the warranty.

#150167 - 08/01/08 08:30 PM Re: painting vinyl windows? [Re: ]
judym Offline

Loc: AL
Be sure to mask off and raise any window that would stick- the beauty point of the vinyl windows is not having to paint but it can be done with the special paint or prep. with primer prior to painting. But I truly wouldn't recommend painting Vinyl windows, they are designed to not have the need. You really need to be aware of your type of vinyl window replacement and not make any untoward actions. If all the windows you need to do are aluminum, you really don't have any option other than the replacement with vinyl or vinyl clad wood frames. It's better to have them all from the same aspect if possible, and believe me I know how much window replacement costs! Admirable to think of painting but I think it's a foregone conclusion to keep it all synched up.

#150168 - 08/02/08 01:19 AM Re: painting vinyl windows? [Re: judym]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Yes, I wonder, why would you want to paint vinyl windows? When I am showing homes to prospective buyers, they love to be able to identify the vinyl windows. Even in 100 year old homes where windows have been replaced. Anne, if you have one window to replace, I wouldn't fret about it not "matching." What's essential is the proper fit & longevity of vinyl.

#150169 - 08/02/08 10:59 AM Re: painting vinyl windows? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
DJ, how about power washing? Would that work? Just be careful not to crack the window with the powerful water jet.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved