The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 237 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#170045 - 01/05/09 12:42 AM Cipralex/Lexapro (AD)
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
As some of you know, I recently decided to try going back on anti-depressants because the grief and anxiety had gotten too overwhelming. My husband, doctor and I discussed and decided together that even though I'm not feeling clinically depressed, I'm still too profoundly sad and probably too deep in to get out without help.

So my doctor tried me on a relatively new AD, called Cipralex (I think the US counterpart is Lexapro). Within a couple of days I felt the difference, but since most AD's supposedly don't take effect for a couple of weeks, I did wonder if it might be the placebo effect. Still, I felt lighter, happier, more energetic, less anxious and with virtually no side effects. That was all on 5mg/day, which is half the recommended dosage.

After my follow-up visit last week, she (my doctor) decided to up the dosage to the normal 10mg. Right away, I felt heavy, lethargic, brain-fogged, icky and worse than I did before starting the AD's. So last night, I went back to the 5mg. Again today, I felt the difference. Lighter, my memory's working again, still a bit lethargic but better than yesterday.

My doctor says she's never heard of anyone staying at 5mg and wonders how that could be enough to make a difference. But it's my body, and it does feel the difference, and I just don't want to up the dosage right now. Maybe later, if the 5mg no longer works well enough I'll be ready to try again. But I detest that heavy lethargy, which is one of the primary reasons I resisted taking an AD throughout this grieving process up until now.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has used this particular AD, or perhaps another similar one, at a lower-than-recommended dosage and had similar (good) results. It's always good to hear other people's experiences with meds.

(Maya Angelou)

#170048 - 01/05/09 01:53 AM Re: Cipralex/Lexapro (AD) [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, I was once prescribed, uhh, I lost it that fast. Shoot, what was that called? Oh, Serzone for depression. I took only half the dose the whole time I was on it and it worked like a dream, a dream, I tell ya!

I felt the difference within days just as you have. The clouds moved and I felt so much lighter I couldn't believe it.

I took it for a month and felt like my old self. It ran out and I didn't refill. Within days, I was back in the dumps. I refilled and listened to my doctor, staying on it for about a year.

I share this for two reasons. One, is that I only took half the recommended dose and it worked, as you say your medicine is workiing. I think soem of us are super sensitive to drugs. I would get tired when I took Extra Tylenol for cramps. The other reason I share is with the hope that you'll aslo listen to your odctor and stay on it as long as she's prescribing it for you.

I can't tell you how much joy I felt while reading about you feeling lighter, happier, more energetic, etc. Praise God. Keep popping the pills. They work! Sending more happy thoughts your way!

#170051 - 01/05/09 03:18 AM Re: Cipralex/Lexapro (AD) [Re: Dotsie]
Eagle Heart Offline

Thanks, Dotsie, your experience helps me feel better about asserting myself as far as the half-dosage goes. Like you, I'm super-sensitive to drugs and have often wondered if I'd do better on child-size dosages.

One thing I've been working on in all of this evolving toward light and positivity is my love/respect for my own body. I've really come to appreciate and cherish all it does for me, how it works so hard to carry and protect me...I want to do everything I can to help it do its job...and everything I can to keep it from hurting any more than it has to. In this case, the higher dose doesn't feel right, the lower dose puts me where I wanted to be in terms of having the energy and mind-ability to keep moving forward toward wholeness and health.

Thanks for the happy thoughts...I'm pleased to say that I'm finally able to produce some of those from within. All the wisdom and energy and care over the past couple of years has been working deep inside, slowly but surely healing and re-energizing and helping me to find the way through. It's good to be on this side of the journey, finally.

(Maya Angelou)

#170059 - 01/05/09 12:39 PM Re: Cipralex/Lexapro (AD) [Re: Eagle Heart]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
Oh Eagle, I'm soooooooooo glad to hear this story! And I am definitely aware of people who have taken less than the "normal" dose. You are right to listen to your body and let it tell you what it needs.

I know it has been a long journey and one which I relate to very well. Be kind to yourself and know you are loved, you are loving and you are lovable.

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#170062 - 01/05/09 02:11 PM Re: Cipralex/Lexapro (AD) [Re: Mama Red]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I'm so happy to hear you're feeling happier. That depression
stuff is a bummer. Nothing and no one should take the joy out
of life. Life is precious. Grab all the joy you can there
sweetie! You're such a blessing! Prayers to you and yours!

#170076 - 01/05/09 04:11 PM Re: Cipralex/Lexapro (AD) [Re: jabber]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
i sure thats the name of the drug i was presecribed when i had post natle depresion, (circumstanses not the child, hormones is negosiable lol) i not the best at spelling but it sounds the same.

i could't stay on full dose as it was all too weired. So they changed and like you i take 2/3 of the recomended dose IT WORKS that way for me too. I don't howver tell my doctor as they seem to get a bit funnie about that type of stuff. Howver you know how you feel and what seems to be working for you, listen! we not all the same brain chemistrie wise, so why would one dose a one for all type dose work for ALL of us.

as yoiu said if it chabngies and you don't feel so good then you can change it again.

So your not just imagining it, just incase thats what ya was thinking placebo wise type of thing.

#170254 - 01/07/09 01:49 PM Re: Cipralex/Lexapro (AD) [Re: celtic_flame]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, just checking in on you. How's it going?

#170260 - 01/07/09 02:21 PM Re: Cipralex/Lexapro (AD) [Re: Dotsie]
Eagle Heart Offline

Thanks, Dotsie. Today is a bit rough...every so often that "ongoing crisis" we're dealing with moves to the front burner, and today's one of those days. But in my diligence to keep focused on the positive, hubby actually allowed me to pray with him this morning.

Anyway, it's a stressful day, I don't think any amount of Cipralex would help. I'm keeping a candle burning to remind me that we're not left alone but have been provided with everything we need to get through...and a prayer of trust that everything has its purpose. This too shall pass.

And when it does, I'll probably have a clearer sense of how the Cipralex is working.

(Maya Angelou)

#170280 - 01/07/09 03:57 PM Re: Cipralex/Lexapro (AD) [Re: Eagle Heart]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
i was just thinking of you so came looking for this post.

sorry to hear its a bad day for you as you say it to will pass. I hope its onlie so intensie for a short time before it recedes again.

hope you keep us posted if you fancy it

#170283 - 01/07/09 04:39 PM Re: Cipralex/Lexapro (AD) [Re: celtic_flame]
Eagle Heart Offline

Thanks Celtic. It's not that it's such a bad day for me, let's just say that sometimes it's more painful to watch someone you love going through a rough day than it is to have to bear it yourself. My heart just aches, and prays, for everyone involved in this mess.

(Maya Angelou)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved