The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 208 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#33457 - 06/24/05 03:07 AM effexor
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
has anyone tried the anti-depressant effexor ?

opinion ?????

#33458 - 06/24/05 04:17 AM Re: effexor
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I had a friend who was on it. He was nuttier than a fruit cake. He tried to get off of it and went to the hospital.
I found a huge bottle of it with his name on it in my house. (How it got here I do not know). I threw it away.

smile

#33459 - 06/24/05 06:46 AM Re: effexor
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I've been trying to remember...which probably isn't much help to you...I started on effexor at the beginning of my last bout of depression late 2001, but had so much trouble with side effects (can't remember what they were now...sorry), that I was switched (after a horrible nightmarish detox from effexor) to Wellbutrin SR in early Spring 2002. Wellbutrin was much better for me, although the low libido became a problem (more so for hubby than for me) as well as severe nightmares, so I came off that one too about a year ago.

(Unfortunately, a year later, my libido is still non-existent, so that may not have been Wellbutrin's fault!)

#33460 - 06/24/05 05:41 PM Re: effexor
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Some of the women had a lot of problems with it and especially when they tried to go off of it.

There is another one called, Celexar, I think. I'll check. They've had very good luck with it.

#33461 - 06/24/05 05:45 PM Re: effexor
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I was close. It's Celexa. Hope this helps

#33462 - 06/25/05 07:43 AM Re: effexor
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I know a young person who was on it, has been weaned, and did well.

Another one is Zoloft. I think the key is beginning with a small dose and being in therapy at the same time to discuss the sad feelings. Just my two cents.

I once took Serzone. You don't hear of it much, but it was a miracle drug for me at the time. It began working within a few days. I had no side effects. I was also in therapy. I've said this before, but I had post traumatic stress syndrome caused by a car accident and injury.

Lion, my thoughts and prayers are with the person who may need it.

#33463 - 06/24/05 09:24 PM Re: effexor
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
My doctor put me on Effexor when I was first diagnosed with Bipolar/Depression. It worked for awhile, but it loses effectiveness after a period of time. It also causes weight gain.

Currently, I'm on a combination of Cymbalta and Welbutrin. This is a good combination for me and I don't have any noticable side effects. Of course, I do have memory issues and trouble with recall, but that could be getting older and have nothing to do with the meds.

#33464 - 06/25/05 01:24 AM Re: effexor
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
thanks ladies ---

i finally called my medical doctor because i was getting dizzy and shortness of breath (without exertion) among other stuff -- i wanted to rule out physical problems before i thought mental

she thought i was having anxiety attacks and advised i see a psychiatrist (due to her lack of experience with my personality disorder) -- WELLLLL our local mental health center could evaluate me if i wanted to wait 4 hrs but it would take 4-6 weeks to see the doctor -- they advised since i had insurance to see a private doctor

i called everyone in the book and it was either, we're not taking new patients or we dont bill insurance -- so my medical doctor started me on effexor (in the meantime one doctor returned a message i had left and i have an appointment the last week in July)

i started it today and we'll see what happens -- i had so many bad experiences with the anti-psychotics they kept trying on my son that i'll be looking closely for side effects --- but i will give it an honest try too

i appreciate your thoughts ladies !!!!

#33465 - 10/21/05 11:19 PM Re: effexor
scat913 Offline

Loc: Detroit
I urge anyone who is considering taking effexor to seriously rethink it. Get a second, third and fourth opinion!!! It may help some people, though I have never heard any success stories. I was on it and I am now in the withdrawal period. The list of side effects that are provided to doctors is long, and I assure you, incomplete. I gained 20 lbs in less than 6 months even though weight loss is a side effect.
Even worse, I am not suffering from extreme mental illness. I was diagnosed with slight to moderate depression and PTSD, yet on this drug I attempted suicide---Even in my worst depression, I never even thought about suicide. This drug causes what it is meant to treat!!!! Find something else.

#33466 - 10/22/05 04:39 AM Re: effexor
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
I was on effexor and it was pure hell to get off of it. It had stopped working and they had to take me off of that to put me on a different med. I'm glad I'm off of it, but I'm on prozac and I don't know what the long term effects are. I know I feel better then a year ago, but I'm going into the bad time of year.

We'll see, I'm hanging in there trying not to get depressed or go into a tailspin when some little thing happens.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved