The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 150 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#33608 - 08/17/05 12:00 AM OCD
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Gads. My OCD has kicked in overtime! It's making me nuts. [Frown] I'm counting like crazy and the same songs keep running over and over in my mind until I have to yell at myself...shut up!

Do any of you with OCD find it is worse at certain times than others? Help! [Eek!]

#33609 - 08/17/05 12:51 AM Re: OCD
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
Gosh, I thought it was just me being weird! I count things all the time and the music NEVER stops. Is that symptoms of OCD? I even count how many steps it is from the main floor to the bedroom--like it's ever going to change.....I had no idea that was OCD.

My son complains that I'm OCD, but it's when I'm wanting him to do something just so. I always thought OCD was about being extrememly detailed and persnickety about things.

Right now, the country song 'Baby, why not me' is playing over and over and over in my mind--I don't even like country music--where did I hear this at.

Do you find it hard to go to sleep at night sometimes because of the music?

I don't know if it's worse at times--I just thought it was me--I'll have to try to keep track!

#33610 - 08/17/05 02:28 AM Re: OCD
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

OCD does include counting. I count how many stairs going up to my office (16) like one will suddenly be missing. I count the pictures on the wall by the tv. I drive myself nuts.

There are many actions with this disorder. Some worse than others. The music...gads! No, I don't have a problem falling asleep because I've exhausted myself all day long with the other stuff.

#33611 - 08/17/05 06:43 AM Re: OCD
Sher Offline

Loc: Midwest
OCD has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember.

Actually Starting Over, just because you count or have a song stuck in your head, doesn't mean you have OCD. OCD is very distressing and causes a big interuption in your life. If you feel like you have to count everything you see to a certain number again and again until it "feels right" in order to prevent something terrible from happening, then you may have a problem.

For more information about OCD, you can go here: http://www.ocfoundation.org/ocf1010a.htm.

Dianne, my OCD most definitely gets worse at certain times. Hormone fluctuations play a HUGE role in how I'm doing, as does stress. I've learned I have to be very mindful of those things or my symptoms will go nuts.

My co-morbid Tourette's also gets worse with my hormonal ups and downs and with stress. Sometimes I truly hate it and some days I can laugh at myself.

#33612 - 08/18/05 01:16 AM Re: OCD
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I've been very stressed and have been trying to calm down myself. Sher, what is co-morbid Tourette? I've heard of Tourette but not this one.

#33613 - 08/19/05 04:06 PM Re: OCD
Sher Offline

Loc: Midwest
Co-morbid means to exist simultaneously with another illness. Lots of people with OCD have co-morbid Tourettes.... usually a tic or twitch, if you will.

When my OCD is getting worse, one of the first things that can happen with me is that I begin to have an extreme sensitivity to fabrics. In fact, to help calm myself, I will only wear very loose-fitting, all cotton clothing. I can't stand the feel of scratchy clothes and my sheets have to have the highest thread count I can afford.

There is so much involved with OCD that I could honestly write a book. I sure hope you find a way to get rid of the stress so you can get some relief.

#33614 - 08/19/05 06:01 PM Re: OCD
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Thanks. I'm working on it. Things have calmed down a bit. Hubby is home for four days so that helps. Keeps me distracted somewhat.

#33615 - 08/20/05 01:21 AM Re: OCD
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Goodness, my heart goes out to all of you ladies with this problem...I had no idea...I'm getting quite an education on this site. And I'm learning more about you all everyday.
The one thing I do that I've done for years is to type words with my fingers...even when I'm not at a computer...walking, shopping, at chuch, etc...my fingers just seem to like to type out words...is that strange? Probably to those who don't do this, yes...guess I answered my own questions...duh.

#33616 - 08/20/05 01:23 AM Re: OCD
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I also get songs stuck in my head...and sometimes when I'm trying to go to sleep...but I'm at that stage in menopause that unless I'm taking half an ambien I'm wide awake...

#33617 - 08/21/05 08:22 AM Re: OCD
Doctor Karen Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Dianne and others, With several decades of experience in treating OCD in my practice, it is very true that even without treatment there is an ebb and flow in terms of the severity of the symptoms. Sher had it just right in terms of deciding whether you might have OCD and the website she listed is very helpful. It is interesting that most OCD sufferers find their compulsions (ritualistic behaviors) or obsessions (repetitive thoughts) so much a part of their life...almost "normal" for them...that they don't even bring them up when seeing a therapist or psychiatrist, unless directly asked. Asking about these symptoms should be a routine part of every intial interview with a mental health care provider.

A very good book, one that we use for our OCD group, is "STOP Obsessing" by Edna Foa. It can be useful even for self-help. Medications can also be an important part of treatment (usually the same ones that are used to treat depression and panic symptoms). I usually recommend professional help when the symptoms are greatly interferring with ordinary living. When the symptoms are very mild it is more likely to be obsessive compulsive personality disorder or what we usually refer to as being a "neat freak". But it never hurts to read up on the disorder on the internet to make your own decision about seeking help. Hope this is helpful. Feel free to use this forum if you have other questions...I'm sure there's a lot of expertise floating around, both professional and from fellow sufferers. Doctor Karen

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved