The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 183 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#32871 - 06/10/04 10:58 AM FIGHT STRESS
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Below I will list the latest findings of FOODS THAT STRESS YOU OUT, then a list of FOODS THAT FIGHT STRESS...here goes.

FOODS THAT STRESS YOU OUT [Mad]

*Cakes and Sugars.
*Breaded frozen fish or fish sticks.
*Low-fat frozen yogurt, high in sugar.
*Heavily marbled or untrimmed red meats(high in saturated fats.)
*Cold cuts, sausage, bacon,full fat hot dogs.
*Poultry with skin on.
*Dark poultry meat (leg, wing, thigh.)
*More than 4 egg yolks a week(high Cholesterol)
*Fried anything.
*Full fat cheeses, whole milk, white bread, liver, sweetened cereals, white pastas, doughnuts, white rice abd croissants. [Mad]

FOODS THAT FIGHT STRESS [Wink]

*Fish (sole, haddock, fresh tuna, salmon, bluefish)
*Shellfish (shrimps, oysters, clams, scallops, mussels, lobster.)
*Canned Tuna in water.
*Turkey or Chicken Breast.
*Reduced fat cheeses.
*Fat free yogurt.
*Fat free milk, 1%milk, nonfat dry milk.
*Whole wheat Pasta.
*Whole wheat breads.
*Whole grain cereals.
*Dry beans or peas(soybeans, black beans, kidney beans, navy beans, pinto beans, white beans, lentils, chickpeas.)
*Tofu
*Fresh fruits and vegetables.
*Rice cakes, oatmeal.
*Frozen fruit sorbet.
*Cottage cheese.
*All fruit preserves.
*Veggie burgers.
*Reduced sugar canned fruits.
*Egg whites.
*Hearty low fat canned soups (watch sodium content)
*Brown Rice....... [Wink]

I hope this is of some service to those who fight stress on a regular basis..and remember we really are what we eat. [Big Grin]

#32872 - 06/12/04 09:30 AM Re: FIGHT STRESS
DreamrKate Offline

Loc: California
I SOOOO didn't want to know that/these/this.

Kate [Frown]

#32873 - 06/12/04 05:36 PM Re: FIGHT STRESS
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Chatty,

Thanks, the top portion of foods are ones that I have been avoiding and I can certanly tell when I have had refined sugar and white bread, etc. My emotional livel really drops and I know to try to avoid them when I can. Give in to temptation once in a while tho.

Sherri

#32874 - 06/12/04 08:52 PM Re: FIGHT STRESS
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Hi Chatty - while, on face value, the list appears to be a good one, there are some other points well worth considering.

*the first being...moderation in everything.

foods that cause stress:

*low fat frozen yoghurt also comes in no/low sugar.

*raw sugar is better than white, processed sugar.

*unfiltered molasses is best of all especially when bought direct.

*egg yolks - research shows that free range or pasture raised hens do not lay eggs with the same levels of cholesterol or fat as do containment raised hens. in the grocery store, buy brown eggs or, better yet, find a farmer's market and buy brown eggs direct.

*chicken sausage can be most excellent...again, find a local source which we have. the chicken, feta and sundried tomato sausage is deeeevine!

*red meat - same rules don't apply to free range meat compared to containment or feed lot meat. free range has less cholesterol, if bought direct from the farmer can be bought w/no preservatives, antiobiotics, vaccinations, etc. in the bloodstream.

foods that fight stress:

*recent studies indicate that any/all types of shellfish have high levels of contaminates which are then transferred to the consumer. -just heard this on radio yesterday- the ocean bottom eaters will have abnormal levels of heavy metals and red tide thus being an early indicator of how the ocean is doing.

*any time beans and rice are paired together the result is a complete protein...low fat and extremely healthful.

*fruit preserves - watch the preservatives and sugar levels.

*veggie burgers if grilled not fried but they still don't take the place of an excellent home made cow burger with blue cheese filling!

Sandra for whom eating well is a lifestyle. -ggg-Y'all should taste my birdseed bread!

#32875 - 06/14/04 08:43 AM Re: FIGHT STRESS
DreamrKate Offline

Loc: California
Well I can tell ya what definately stresses me out.......watchin someone else eat those fries... and knowing that they wouldn't gain one pound, even if they ate them every day. THAT stresses me out.....well.... not really, but if I thought about it a lot it would. [Razz]

Kate

#32876 - 06/14/04 09:02 AM Re: FIGHT STRESS
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Yeah, and those really thin models who say they eat burgers and fries and ice cream and pie.
Grrrr. I think they're lying.
smile

#32877 - 06/14/04 04:31 PM Re: FIGHT STRESS

Hi Smile - those models aren't lying but what they *don't* tell is they force themselves to throw everything back up! Bulimea, isn't it called?

#32878 - 06/14/04 04:33 PM Re: FIGHT STRESS

Another thought - when shopping at the grocery store...only shop the outside aisles. The inside aisles have the most concentration of heavily preserved foods and we don't NEED those kinds of preservatives.

Better yet, shop farmer's markets and get to know the producer's. If the farmer's knows what you want, s/he will, in a lot of cases, do their utmost to provide you with that product. You want organic? You'll pay more but it's a case of "pay now or pay later"; it's our choice.

#32879 - 06/15/04 12:28 AM Re: FIGHT STRESS
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Thistle I agree totally about the markets. We have a huge fresh fruit and vegetable market every Thursday here in Henderson. Its a hoot, music, booths of interesting items, crafts mostly and some of the freshest produce around, some just harvested that morning. I know most of the merchants by name and they save special things for me, its great... [Big Grin]

#32880 - 06/15/04 06:08 PM Re: FIGHT STRESS
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Oh chatty, now when I go to our Farmer's Market on Thursdays, I can think of you doing the same thing. I believe ours begins next week and runs through the first 2 weeks of October. It's something I look forward to every week. [Big Grin]

Thistle, I've heard to shop the perimeter of the food store too. I try, but I just can't do it. Maybe when the kids are all in college I'll have a better shot at it. [Wink]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved