The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 111 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#32786 - 05/10/04 08:15 PM Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Hi everyone,

Dotsie has prodded me to share with you all a book I'm writing on phobias, fears and anxieties.

Any feedback you can give me on fears, phobias and anxieties would be greatly appreciated. So, feel free to post suggestions or ideas. The help you give, will be a blessing.

This book will be comprehensive in discussing the who, what, why, where and when of phobias, fears and anxieties. I will discuss and give examples and case histories of phobias, anxieties and fears, explain conventional and unconventional ways of treating these illnesses and explain why so many of us have these illnesses--women in particular appear to have more of these than men.

Some phobias are actually good; they prevent us from serious illnesses and death; while some phobias, if left untreated can obstruct, hinder and ultimately destroy our lives.

I may be offering a survey in June or July, that will be part of the book. If you would like to participate, that would be wonderful. Just send a personal email, via this forum or my personal email--tstar@infinet.com.

Many thanks goes to Dotsie, for allowing me to share my book ideas and concepts with you all.

Toni

P.S.

I would like to offer a post script here-I am actively seeking any advice, experiences, helps or other that might help, inspire and possibly heal those who are suffering from such conditions.

Sometimes the right word at the right time, helps so much--may even save a life..

So, if you would like your words published, let me know and I'll see about recording and saving them for my book.

Thank you,

Toni

[ May 14, 2004, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: Toni ]

#32787 - 05/11/04 06:22 PM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Toni, your book sounds like a Godsend. I would be happy to participate in any way I can.

I have social anxiety disorder. I'm bipolar, and I have general anxiety disorder.

If you have any questions you'd like to ask me I'd be happy to share my experiences. If they can help just one person, I'd be grateful!

Peace.

#32788 - 05/12/04 07:32 AM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Hi Vickie,

I wanted to thank you again in the Forum for your desire to help with my book. It is greatly appreciated.

I sent you a private email but wanted to thank you 'publicly' for your help.

God Bless,

Toni

#32789 - 05/12/04 04:40 PM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Toni, you're very welcome. I'd be honored to participate in your survey. I think you're doing a justice to the world by bringing these events into the world and letting people see that even with all our phobias and disorders we're still human.. we're still "normal"... and we can function in society.

Peace.

#32790 - 05/17/04 05:41 AM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
HI Toni - your book sounds interesting. I'm not sure if this is what you mean but I have a fear of heights. What I do to overcome my fear is grab a camera and climb high. It frightens me tremendously but it also helps me conquer my fear. When I'm afraid of my horses, I grab a halter & lead rope and get into the round pen with them. For me, what works with fear is to face my fear. That helps make it managable and lessons its impact on my life.

#32791 - 05/17/04 10:34 PM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Wouldn't it be great if it was this easy?

God says,

Fear not for I am with you always, even until the end of time.

I certainly don't want to minimize this topic because I have my own fears, but wouldn't it be great if we could live by His advice?

I would have to say my biggest fears are something happening to loved ones.

I have one teen who drives, one who is learning, and one who will learn this summer. I often fear something happening to them. Heck, I even fear something happening to them when they are in the car with someone else. [Mad]

My husband is a diabetic and my biggest fear is him having a low blood sugar reaction in his sleep when I'm not home. I have alwys been here in the past to catch his lows. I've lived through them and they are not fun. How do you keep from fearing something that is real?

#32792 - 05/17/04 10:55 PM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Dotsie,
I think there is a huge difference between what you describe which I would call more a "concern" than a fear and certainly not a phobia which is an unreasoning fear.
Though we are told to fear not for God is with us, some fear is God given and is a helpful aspect of life.
Fear will help keep Betty Boop safe from bears when she goes to the cabin in the woods because she will probably carry a gun in her pocket instead of Bounce sheets in her hatband. She still may be eaten by a bear, but not if he's afraid of guns. [Smile]
It will help keep me safe from snakes like the one that got in my house last summer because I have stopped up every place I can find that might possibly allow even a tiny baby snake through.
There are no guarantees of course, but fear is what inspired me and Betty to take precaustions.
Your concern for your children though it can't insure their safety will empower you to take as many precautions as possible thus lessening their chances of being in an accident. The same for your husband's blood sugar.
When, despite our precautions, we encounter the object of our fear, we can rest in knowing God is with us. But a little fearful concern can sure keep us out of a lot of trouble and I'm pretty sure that's what God wants for us cause just as you want the best for your chilcren He must want the best for us, His children.
Thanks for the opportunity to write that down. I think so much better in writing and those thoughts will help me when I face my own fears.
smile

#32793 - 05/18/04 01:02 AM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Okay, I have heard all the jokes about the Bounce but truth be told I am the one that talked Betty-Boop into taking a gun, even if Dean protests which he is doing, because if needed and not available a disaster can occur and Betty is not the Annie Oakley type brandishing her weapon in the air for fun. I may appear silly with some things BUT am very practical and believe in safety first. Now since I've heard more on one of our phone conversations about this place, I don't think theres much danger of them running into any bears, this place is not some cabin in the woods, its a modern condo with all the amenities....I doubt any bear would come calling in a well settled place unless it was crazed in some way. Yes, and missing cubs could be a reason. Thought the info on Bounce though seeming silly might [Confused] be of help to someone...Sorry!!! We laughed our butts off however, cause the sight of my best friend covered in Bounce strips walking through the wilds put a funny picture in our heads.... [Razz]

#32794 - 05/18/04 01:48 AM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Chatty,
I didn't mean to imply that your Bounce suggestions were silly. Actually I plan to print them out for a file I keep of good practical ideas.
In the mean time though, I find the combined images of a honeymoon, perfume, Bounce, Guns, and Bears hilarious. [Smile] Can't help it. The whole thing just makes me smile.
I only hope Betty has as much fun being there as I'm having imagining her there.
Bears, Bounce, and all.
smile

#32795 - 05/18/04 04:31 AM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Well.........

about carrying a gun into the woods.....

you'd be better off with bounce.

I have friends who bear hunt every fall and train their dogs the rest of the year by running bear. JC had to go to his doc for a follow-up visit for knee surgery and the doc said a friend of his wanted to go bear hunting. Doc said friend wanted to go bear hunting with a 357 magnum and *surely* that would be enough to stop a bear...?

JC told the doc that earlier in the season, he had been bear hunting with dogs who picked up the scent of a -unknown to them at the time- 400+ pound bear. By the time the bear had been cornered, the bear had killed 2 dogs and seriously wounded a third.

The bear was cornered, broke through the dogs and was headed toward JC. JC fired twice at the bear, landing bullets in the shoulder and mid-body, the bear veared, went through a break in the mountain laurel before someone else killed it with a head shot.

"So," said the doc, "you're telling me that a 357 isn't a big enough gun."

JC said, "Doc what I'm telling you is a 357 would only piss him off!" -exact quote but I've cleaned up the rest of his language!

These boys go hunting with no less than 44 magnums with a 240 grain to 330 grain bullet and those are the boys that don't have the large rifles. They tell me pistols are lighter and easier to carry through the mountains and if they pair up, two pistols are better than one.

Bounce is sounding better and better, ain't it?

That or get a larger coffee can - LOL!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved