The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 173 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#32666 - 04/25/03 05:51 PM Suggestions Please
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
I always get a little concerned about my mental health when I think about the genetic connnections. Most of the women in my family take medication to maintain mental health (depression, anxiety, etc...) Does anyone know of any thing out there where you could find out how likely it would be that you would suffer from a mental illness depending on family history. Anyone know of any preventive things you can do or take that would keep the effects of heredity at bay?

#32667 - 04/27/03 03:09 AM Re: Suggestions Please
countrygirl51 Offline

Loc: Clifton, Ks. USA
Have you ever read the magazine "Prevention"? It often has articles on this type of subject. I believe they have a website too..
www.Prevention.com
There should be a question/answer forum where you can get answers to your problem. Good luck.
www.WebMD.com is another good site.

#32668 - 04/30/03 11:37 PM Re: Suggestions Please
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Candice, you mentioned prevention...

Before I post my thoughts I want you to know that I am not suggesting that women who are Christians don't get depressed. I am a Christian woman and I was depressed after being involved in a car accident that kept me from living the active life I loved.

However, I believe with all my heart that staying focused on my faith: reading the Bible, journaling, reading Christian books, attending prayer groups and classes for self improvement has made a tremendous impact on my life. I don't know where..or how..or who I would be without those activities.

My faith makes me stay focused on my blessings which leads to a more positive way of thinking and living. [Big Grin]

I also believe exercise is extremely important too. Knowing that I am taking time to do something for myself makes me feel better.

Anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions? I think it is a great topic!

#32669 - 05/01/03 09:12 PM Re: Suggestions Please
countrygirl51 Offline

Loc: Clifton, Ks. USA
I think it is extremely important to keep your doctor and nurses informed on how you are feeling. I'm not saying call them everyday, but if you notice a change or an increase in symptoms, please notify them. They can make referrals to other doctors qualified to handle these problems. With a referral from your own family practice doctor, most of these problems can be covered by insurance. I guess the main thing to remember is there is no need to "suffer in silence". There is always someone qualified to help you with your problems.
Also I would encourage anyone with a depression problem to get out and be active, with exercise, with social events, either through your church or club activities, or just by visiting while in line at the supermarket. A little human interaction can help with a lot of problems.

#32670 - 05/08/03 05:42 AM Re: Suggestions Please
Lauri FitzGerald Offline

Loc: Baltimore
Mental illness also runs in my family, though no one speaks of it. However, I was shocked when I was diagnosed with depression and bipolar disorder in my 30s! It greatly upset me. I did not believe the diagnosis and I did not wish to think anything was "wrong" with me. I had led a fairly normal life, with many friends, successes, etc. up to this point and I did not relish the idea of being "different" or "sick" in any way. But after much education, I found out I was predestined by my genes to have this disorder. The stats said I was 25-40% more likely to inherit it.

Through extension reading, group discussion, and couseling, I learned that MOST PEOPLE WITH BIPOLAR OR CLINICAL DEPRESSION SUFFER BECAUSE OF A CHEMICAL MALFUNCTION IN THE BRAIN. Too much or too little serotonin in your brain causes often tremendous depressions. Low energy, lack of hope, irritability, loss or excessive appetite, sleep disorders usually result from this chemical imbalance.

Thank goodness there are many medicines which adjust the serotonin levels and bring your back to normal health.

Of course, Dotsie and others mention prayer/faith and exercise/social interaction...these are also very beneficial towards anyone's mental health. However, after many years of very successul treatment, I would say medicine is the first and most important step. Six years ago, I would not have believed this to be true!). Then lots of prayer and exercise and outings. Use a holistic appreach -- mind, body and spirit (medicine for the mind, exercise for the body and faith for the spirit.)

Best of luck. Do not worry. Mental illness is as fixable as a bad heart or broken leg!

#32671 - 05/08/03 04:17 PM Re: Suggestions Please
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Laurie, thank you for sharing such great info. I truly believe you are a blessing to the women in this community simply by sharing your story.

I totally agree that medication allows people with mental illness the opportunity to live full and successful lives. Just like insulin for diabetics, and concerta, ridalin, etc. for people with ADD/ADHD, it is key for stability.

I also like countrygirl's comment about suffering in silence. It is no longer necessary in today's society.

There are other posts in this forum that I will find and share with you. I recall some great web-sites and information about a book written by a young adult who is also bipolar and leads a successful life. She wanted to share her story and did so by writing a book that is geared for young adults.

Thanks for jumoing in and I look forward to your posts! I am always happy when wise women aren't shy and jump right in! [Big Grin]

#32672 - 05/08/03 06:22 PM Re: Suggestions Please
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Thanks to everyone for all of the great info and feedback. I haven't been diagnosed with anything, but I had to fill out this form for my physical before I go on Monday and I figure the doctor is going to flip when she sees the family history of mental illness, heart disease, and cancer. I think I'm a walking time bomb when it come to the heredity, all the more reason to follow some of the preventative advice I got here.

#32673 - 05/15/03 05:22 PM Re: Suggestions Please
40something Offline

I am a clinical social worker who has a lot of mental illness in my family as well. From a professional standpoint, I can say that learning all you can about the illness is a big plus, and learning what your resources are, (personal and medical) can make a big difference. When any symptoms trickle back, it's good to know what to plug in quickly to bring you back to equilibrium.
Personally, my mother was bipolar, and unfortunately, she grew up in the "dark ages" of psychiatry, and she was not correctly diagnosed until the age of 69. (She recently died at age 80)It was a blessing to finally have the right treatment and medications for her. It was unfortunate that she had to live most of her life
with the wrong treatment, tho'.
I think alot too about what my chances are for inheriting those genes. There are alot of studies at Johns Hopkins that are looking at genetics, so maybe soon we'll know more. And there are alot of studies on meds too, so hopefully side effects will be less in the future.
There is a woman from Hopkins, Kay Redfield Jamison, who is inspiring. She is a professor there, but is bipolar, and has done incredible things with her life. She has written several books, both personal and clinical info. She makes you feel that it's possible for anyone to manage the illness.

#32674 - 05/19/03 03:28 PM Re: Suggestions Please
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
I've just finished a book titled "An Unquiet Mind", by Dr. Kay Redfield Jamison. Dr. Jamison is a Doctor of Psychology and a professor at Hopkins and also a sufferer of "manic-depressive illness" or Bi polar disorder as it is often called. Her book is a memoir of her life and the journey toward sanity. The book is both wonderful and horrifying if you have a family member who is manic depressive. But it is an excellent resource. I highly recommend it to anyone who suspects that they are dealing with this illness either personally or with a family member.

#32675 - 05/20/03 02:51 PM Re: Suggestions Please
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Kath, I checked the book out on Amazon and it sounds great. Might have to check that one out at the library. Did you read 40 something's post? She also mentioned the same doctor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved