The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 135 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#180928 - 04/26/09 07:00 PM Osteoporosis treatment
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
Just got the results of my latest bone density test and it shows reduced density in my hips. I was on Fosomax for years, but took myself off after reading some scary stuff about what it can do to the jaw bone.

I know the dr. will want to put me back on something - but thought I'd ask you ladies as to what has worked for you. The other options are Actonel and Boniva - which work on the same principle as Fosomax.

I take supplements, do lots of weight bearing exercise - don't smoke - blah, blah, blah. I don't drink milk and use very little dairy.

I have vivid memories of my maternal grandmother. She had broken both hips and was either on crutches or wheelchair for as far back as I can remember. Thank God, we don't have to live like that anymore. I'm just not a big fan of taking more pills if I can do it some other way.

#180980 - 04/27/09 04:30 PM Re: Osteoporosis treatment [Re: browser57]
Madelaine Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
what i'm doing:
i got off actinel when I read that those phosphate medications do not improve bones, they merely stop bone activity, which includes healthy rebuilding, and further, some women were experiencing sheer fractures after taking the stuff for a while. (and the narcosis of jaws/teeth grossed me out too)
what i'm doing:
1/taking large doses of Vit D and also taking calcium
2/trying to do more weight bearing exercises
3/really focusing on BALANCE exercises. As people get older, their sense of balance gets rusty; but that can be quickly reversed. With better balance, you fall less and break fewer bones.
I am not a medical professional, so standard disclaimers apply.
I hope this helps.

Edited by Madelaine (04/27/09 04:34 PM)

#181063 - 04/28/09 05:57 PM Re: Osteoporosis treatment [Re: Madelaine]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
The Smart Woman's Guide to Midlife and Beyond, written by two of our NABBW experts, suggests calcium, Viatmin D, weight bearing exercise, no smoking, alcohol in moderation, and try to lay off caffeine and soda (that combination). They mention all the medications you've mentioned with caution about the jawline. They also mention as the selective estrogen receptor modulators. Evista is often used for osteoporosis prevention in women. They also mention HRT as being a way to reduce bone loss, increase bone density and prevent practures. Remember to remian monitored by physicians when under any of these treatments.

#181077 - 04/28/09 07:53 PM Re: Osteoporosis treatment [Re: Dotsie]
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
Thanks for the replies. I do take bio-identical HRT, no alcohol, don't smoke - do weight bearing exercise 3x a week - plus take supplemental calcium (citrate) with magnesium and Vit. D. So, I guess heredity must be taken into account. Thank God I'm active - and that I can thank all the years of aerobic, etc. I've done. My mom was of the era that didn't believe in breaking a sweat - arthritis took her mobility away from her 70's and beyond. I have to make a Dr. appt. this week - we'll see what she recommends.

#181082 - 04/28/09 10:12 PM Re: Osteoporosis treatment [Re: browser57]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Madelaine, I'm glad you brought up the thing about balance. I have always been very coodinated...was a cheerleader, a big time softball player, and could dance to anything (not like our professional here) but now I find that sometimes when I get out of bed, I lose my balance...or I might bend over to pick something up, then start down the hallway and whoops! Have to lean against a wall.

What's up with that? No dizziness, just lost of balance. I can't figure it out.

#181088 - 04/29/09 02:34 AM Re: Osteoporosis treatment [Re: jawjaw]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
JJ, sounds like a blood pressure thing. It's called orthostatic hypotension. It just means that lying down and then standing suddenly causes a temporary drop in blood pressure causing the dizziness. I just got used to not standing up suddenly - I had to do it gradually. Same for bending over. But I would get it checked out in case it's something else. I have found that Tai Chi really helps with balance. I now have inner ear problems that throw me off balance occasionally - usually when my allergies are bad. Tai Chi is really helping.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#181096 - 04/29/09 07:09 AM Re: Osteoporosis treatment [Re: yonuh]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
JJ, I would say go to an ear doctor and have your vertigo checked. They have drops that heal!

#181102 - 04/29/09 10:21 AM Re: Osteoporosis treatment [Re: Edelweiss3]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
JJ -- Check to see if it might be intestinal candida infection. That's responsible for all kinds of weird symptoms including stuttering, believe it or not. It's simple to fix, but takes some will power. You start with an intestinal cleanse.

#181133 - 04/29/09 03:26 PM Re: Osteoporosis treatment [Re: DJ]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Wow, lots of great answers and things for me to try. Thank you ladies. Without health insurance, I have to pick and choose what I try....but if this continues, and because I'm very afraid of high blood pressure and diabetes, I may go ahead and be checked. DJ, I'm going to Google that type of infection and read up on it first. It could very well be that. So many things...while I DO NOT have a tendency to have high blood pressure, I DO have sinus infections and allergies that are acting up right now. It could simply be an infection.

I take no meds, and would have to be on death's door before I do, so I usually just let things ride out...but this thing has been lingering.

Thanks again Ladies...I knew I could count on you!

#181409 - 05/04/09 06:25 PM Re: Osteoporosis treatment [Re: jawjaw]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
JJ, Could it be an inner ear infection?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved