The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 202 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#105228 - 01/28/07 01:19 PM Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?"
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
A friend just lent me this book and I'm wondering if it's going to be worth the read. The friend who read it said the average person couldn't afford all the medical tests that are recommended in the book. I'm 6 years past a hysterectomy and back when I was a hostess at Hystersisters.com was pretty knowledgable about hormones and hormone replacement therapy but haven't been involved with Hystersisters for a few years now and am not really up to speed on these things anymore. I was thinking of reading it just out of curiosity and general info's sake, but just quickly glancing at it last night, I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to get into it.
Anybody read it? And if so, what did you think?
Thanks gals!

#105229 - 01/28/07 04:22 PM Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Mountain Ash Offline

I have not read ot but will try to get it.
What I have discovered is post hysterectomy and ceasing hrt has meant health issues for me.I am learning so much from a gynae/uroligist.We still need attention and knowledge.
Mountain ash

#105230 - 01/28/07 04:26 PM Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Ann, I haven't read it and I'm not sure if I would ALTHOUGH I do admire her. Could you please tell me the premise of the book? If it's another one of those "here's how you stay young" books, I know I wouldn't be interested.

It's not that I'm against trying to stay younger looking, but I'm just not interested in it for me. I guess what I'm saying is I'm not interested in trying to convince the world that I'm younger than what I really am. You know, with plastic surgery, creams, lotions, surgery, whatever. Does that make sense? It's just not for me. NOW BEING HEALTHY, that's another matter.

So I would be interested in knowing what the book was about.

#105231 - 01/28/07 05:12 PM Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" [Re: jawjaw]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Just an FYI and a quote from a book review:

"Now, even some of the pro-bioidentical doctors Somers quotes in her books are screaming foul. "Many of the claims throughout the book are scientifically unproven and dangerous," three of these doctors assert in a letter sent a few weeks ago to Somers's publisher, Crown. "By mixing quotes from qualified physicians ... with those of a person with no medical or scientific background, this book will further confuse women and we believe, may potentially put their health at risk."

I have not heard much positive about this book, but then I have not been looking for any either.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#105232 - 01/28/07 09:23 PM Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" [Re: Anno]
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
I have most of her previous books - and I understand that this last one is all hormone issues for women and men. I did her diet for a time and although it too is not proven (basically food combining) I did loose weight and felt great. I currently am using bioidentical HRT and have to give her credit for being a leading face out there trying to get the word out, after we all stopped taking premrin.

I had initially intended to pick up Ageless, but when I saw her on TV (Larry King) promoting the book, I was shocked to see how pumped her face was with God knows what. She did admit that she had had injections of something for wrinkles and her lips looked like cartoons. That did it for me - how can she go around touting her 'youth secrets' while in reality, she's doing everything except going under the knife herself. She does look great - but she's in her 60's now. How many more decades does she think she can keep this up?

#105233 - 01/29/07 08:27 AM Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" [Re: browser57]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Suzanne has always been a go getter and a self promoter. That's what I liked about her years ago. I haven't picked up any of her books just the same. I didn't even buy her thigh master... Now I need two.

chick

#105234 - 01/29/07 02:15 PM Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" [Re: chickadee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Anno, thanks for posting that. I was going to share that I saw about it on TV was that it was very controversial. One of the doctors was on saying that the information isn't correct. Of course Suzanne said it was.

The thing that saddens me is that women like Suzanne and I think it's Winona Judd are getting these books published about very technical midlife women's health issues. The publishing industry lets them do it because of the number of books they can sell. It's all aobut the numbers. I'd like a women's health book published by a woman physician who has been in practice and knows this information like the back of her hand.

#105235 - 01/30/07 02:06 PM Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?"
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Naomi Judd has had so much done to her face she looks scary. Plus, she's a self-promoter just like Suzanne. Is there any product Suzanne hasn't pushed? I think her husband keeps her working so he can live in style.

I want to suggest a wonderful book I just got. Mariel Hemingways's Healthy Living from the Inside Out. It's all about natural living, Yoga and peace. She lives it and she doesn't look like a clown.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#105236 - 01/31/07 01:12 PM Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" [Re: Dianne]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Ann (CSQ), I hope you do read it and share with us what SS has to say. Of course doctors are going to be squealing if information that is contra to what they practice is spread. Who knows what doctors are doing the squealing, anyway? Are they hired by the pharmaceutical companies? What doctor has time to examine what SS has to say? Is it just going against what he/she has been taught in med school?
I saw Summers on Larry King, also, and fully intended to get her book. I was on Premrin (menopause @ 35) for a couple of years, but I simply don't like taking prescription drugs... at the same time, I realize I need some type of HRT. Natural would definitely be my choice. When I found out Premrin was made from horse urine, I'll admit I freaked and vouched I'd never use it again, even tho a gyno recently tried to persuade me to.

I will be looking for Mariel's book. Thanks for the mention.

Might read Christiane Northrup, too. She explores alternative and conventional medicines for women's health, as well as the integration of the two.

#105237 - 01/31/07 01:49 PM Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" [Re: gims]
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I haven't read SS's new book, but did read the first one. In that book, she was backed up by doctors who had been researching bio-identical hormones.

I do not believe the doctors who say b-hrt is harmful either. The pharmasuetical companies are using their money and influence to stop b-hrt and don't care that it helps many women, including me.

If there are any side effects, such as with regular hrt, I will accept them. For me, quality of life is more important than quantity. Before b-hrt, I was suffering from depression, hot flashes, weight gain and mental flakiness. I am able to function now and feel better than I have in years.

I don't pay much attention to anything else SS promotes, sells or discusses, but my experience is that she is backed up by doctors when discussing technical/medical issues.

laurapoplin.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved