The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 131 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#131056 - 11/05/07 05:01 PM New to menopause....some questions
Ginny Offline

Hello!

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Ginny and I recently had a complete hysterectomy due to endometriosis. I am 34 years old. I am not on hormones as of yet. With all the side effects of hormones (and the fact I would have to be on them about 20 years) I am not sure I am willing to take them. So far my symptoms (which are liveable) are hot flashes, night sweats, joint pains in hands, some dizziness, and then there are some vision problems. My vision problem is actually what brings me here today. I do go in to see my eye dr for my yearly exam next week, but am hoping for some reassurance before then. I am sure this more than likely has to do with my body being rapidly thrown into menopause....but every once in a while I see a star and as soon as it comes, it goes away. It normally happens when I am staring in one place with a bright background such as the television or computer screen (both with white wall backgrounds)...on top of that I suffer from anxiety on occassion...depending how much I allow myself to get worked up about something. When I called to make the eye appt. the lady did tell me that just like when you are pregnant and vision changes, that this is true for when you undergo menopause. I just don't get the whole eye spot issue. I must admit I have the type of personality that can get fixated on a symptom and actually seek it out literally waiting for it to happen. For example, sometimes I will sit there on the bed and stare at the wall to see if one appears. Silly, I know. But then I can be very busy and not have one all day long (or maybe I have but not noticed it)...until I notice I have not had one all day and then one appears while I am sitting there staring into space waiting for one to show up. LOL

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaack. Any words? Besides the obvious- I am a total nut.

Long story short (okay I already know this is long-lol)from what I have seen on the internet, these eye spots/floaters are not life threatening so that should make be feel somewhat better...yet here I am seeking advice fromwomen I do not know....but hope have much more knowledge than I.

I know I will have more questions. I am just so torn over what to do about the hormones, too. I just don't want to be 53 and realize I have been on man made hormones for over 20 years, ya know?

Thanks to all of you in advance.

#131057 - 11/05/07 05:21 PM Re: New to menopause....some questions [Re: Ginny]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Hi Ginny and welcome! I'm 53 now but had a total hysterectomy at age 31, also due to endometriosis. Your body at that age goes through quite a jolt with sudden menopause. I must say that in my case at least, there was so much damage to my ovaries by then that they hadn't been producing the estrogen as they should have quite awhile. I immediately felt a sense of relief from the pain I had suffered for so long. One thing you need to do is to get a grip and relax a little, knowing your body is trying to adjust after something so traumatic. Regarding your eye problems, rest assured that the eye doctor is the one to address this with you next week....one step at a time here. I did go on a low dose estrogen for 10 years following the surgery and felt quite well. I was only taken off it after other health problems arose. After that I made sure I got plant estrogens (soy, etc.) Hormone replacement therapy is a very personal decision that you can weigh out with your doctor. Because I was so young, I felt I wanted to see how I felt on it and I did very well and it took care of the unpleasant symptoms. If I hadn't needed to go off the estrogen, I might have kept on for awhile longer. Again, it's a personal decision. Try to attain the insight you need through your doctor(s) and carefully weigh your decisions and get feeling better. You have a long life ahead and hopefully you will feel a lot better physically. Again, welcome!

#131059 - 11/06/07 01:43 PM Re: New to menopause....some questions [Re: ]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Hello Ginny and welcome to BWS! I have the floaters and your doctor will be able to see them when he checks your eyes. They are usually not a problem. They can drive you nutty if you think about them. From what I understand there is not much they can do about them. Just be sure to mention the situation to him as I agree with Ladyjane and Anne.
Best to you.
www.tidedancer.com

#131060 - 11/06/07 02:19 PM Re: New to menopause....some questions [Re: Sandpiper]
Mountain Ash Offline

Is there a group you could join.We have one run by the former ward sister of the gyne ward.
One thing I found out after my hysterectomy and ooperetomy was the my thyroid became overactive.The endocrine system is a fine tuned system.
It easy to think about symptoms ..dont beat yourself up.After all you have been through a major op.
Take all the help and advice..sift out for yourself what suits you.
Keep posting..
Mountain ash

#131061 - 11/07/07 01:04 PM Re: New to menopause....some questions [Re: Mountain Ash]
Ginny Offline

Hello to everyone....I had my 6 week checkup yesterday with my ob/gyn...he did a physical exam and everything looks great...only a few stitches left for me. I explained vision and everything....He feels it is all tied to my surgery and the changes happening with my body vso abruptly. In fact, I think he thought nothing of it so he barely responded. One thing I was so happy to learn....all my symptoms will only be around for 4-5 years!!!! I asked him, "Then why were my mother-in-law and mother on them for 30+ years after their hysterectomies due to endometriosis????" He said it was once thought that you stay on them until you die until medicine and knowledge advanced. Good grief!!!!

Anyway, one last question....This dizziness is crazy that I sometimes feel! Any of you experience this and how did you cope with it?

#131062 - 11/09/07 01:15 AM Re: New to menopause....some questions [Re: Ginny]
Ginny Offline

update at eye dr:

He gave me a thorough exam and oddly enough, I have 20/20 vision (I used to wear glasses) and my retinas are in perfect shape. He says I have no reason to worry whatsoever. Sometimes you can have silent migraines which cause flashers, but I am not going to go chase that one. (lol) I feel so good knowing that my eyes are in good shape. He told me (b/c I asked how long I could expect to have these flashes of light) some people live with them forever...sometimes months or sometimes years. SO I am glad I asked that question.l..so if I happen to have them a year from now I won't have to worry about going back.

Thank you for your responses. I have decided that for now I am not going to take hormones....if I am only to live with the side effects of menopause for 4-5 years and they are not that bad, I would rather run from risks of heart disease, breast cancer, etc....

I wish all of you well and hope you know Jesus loves you.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved