The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 145 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#20815 - 11/28/05 02:28 AM How many years?
Paige Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
I have read quite a few of the postings at this forum and no one mentions when you can expect all those "treats" we are suffering with will end. Is it years? Will I still be fanning and misting and panting and confused when I'm 70? Please, is there an end in sight?

#20816 - 11/28/05 02:41 AM Re: How many years?
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Paige, I had a rough few days already this month, but for some reason, I think that I am over it for good. Wishful thinking? Somewhat, but I had it so bad that I think, it can''t possibly happen again. I quit smoking, eat healthy and am going to start an exercise program. I'm hoping this will beat it. It can't hurt to try. Have you made any changes that you think might help you? I'd like to know what they are. I truly believe it is something we are not doing right. I could be wrong.
chick

#20817 - 11/28/05 02:55 AM Re: How many years?
ladybug Offline

When I first started menopause around six years ago the hot flashes were horrendous! That was the only bad aspect I had with menopause.

Over the years the intensity of the hot flashes diminished to almost none. I still get a few at night but they aren't so bad.

I credit my mild transition with my daily walks and strict vegetarian diet.

Working out in the garden in the summer also uplifts my spirit.

#20818 - 11/28/05 04:42 AM Re: How many years?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
All the data I have read and that's a lot is that it usually takes about 10 years from beginning to end. I'm not talking about premenopausal here just the all out menopause. I started at 50 and was done by 60 so it was true for me.

#20819 - 11/28/05 07:08 PM Re: How many years?
MinniePauz Offline

Loc: Michigan
It's hard to determine exactly when "it" starts and the same for when "it" ends. The main thing to remember is it's called "the change" for a reason. When most of your symptoms are over, you won't just go back to being exactly the same person you were before. There are adjustments to get used to in how your body operates and how your life works. Hopefully, you will enjoy the new person you can become and accept that nothing stays the same forever. [Smile]

To answer your question though, yes....it can take years from the time you start noticing a change in your periods to the time when you're postmeno. For most women that is 10-15 years. Some women have symptoms even after that....

[ November 28, 2005, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: MinniePauz ]

#20820 - 11/29/05 01:24 AM Re: How many years?
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Paige, what these wise ladies have said is true. I've heard the same thing, 10 - 15 years for you to go "through the change", as Minnie calls it.

This is a great time to rediscover yourself and who you are. Find out just what makes you tick and what makes you happy. Be your own person and explore your surroundings. Live.

#20821 - 11/29/05 04:33 AM Re: How many years?
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
Paige......I started the perimenopause at 35........I'm now 59 and going thru menopause.......the hot flashes have "let up" a bit. Especially at nite. Thank Goodness.
Everything I've read agrees with all the ladies here.
You just don't know when it's going to start and when it will end.
Lynne

#20822 - 12/09/05 12:47 AM Re: How many years?
Paige Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Thanks to all of you for your words of wisdom I guess I just have to grin and bare-it. I sure could use more sleep at night, and less crying jags in the day. Thank goodness I am retired because I don't think I could be my best at work. I was a teacher. I do get lots of exercise, I'm at the gym everyday and I do Tai Chi and Yoga. I think I eat fairly well, I always have, lots of fruits and veggies, fish, chicken, whole grains, low carbs and fat, I stay away from anything with sugar. I don't smoke, so I'll just hang in there for a decade or so. Thanks
Paige

#20823 - 01/06/06 12:01 AM Re: How many years?
jen50 Offline

Loc: NC
quote:
Originally posted by Paige:
I have read quite a few of the postings at this forum and no one mentions when you can expect all those "treats" we are suffering with will end. Is it years? Will I still be fanning and misting and panting and confused when I'm 70? Please, is there an end in sight?

#20824 - 01/06/06 12:03 AM Re: How many years?
jen50 Offline

Loc: NC
Try soy milk. It's been a cure-all for me. I was getting everything, the depression, nervousness, felt like it contributed to losing my job, and finally I tried soy milk, don't know why I hadn't heard about it before, just a cup or so on a bowl of cereal, then I started craving it. Brought back my cognitive resources felt I'd lost permanently. Don't think its pscychosomatic, I really believe its working. My husband noticed. Wanted to share. JEn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved