The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 193 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#146071 - 04/09/08 03:27 AM Who Knows Shoes? Help for the feet!
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Girlfriends, please I need some advice on shoes. I have had bad feet like some people have a bad back. I have no real deformities, but I had to wear orthopedic saddle shoes in school. I hated them so bad I would sneak a regular pair of shoes to school and change into them. Anyway, I have had surgery for hammer toes, fallen arches, and unbelievable aches and pains. I can not find any shoes that are comfortable. I tried on 17 pairs of shoes for a business suit. I brought home a pair of Aerosoles, sat in my chair, and even in my chair the shoes hurt my feet. The aching and throbbing and tingling crawls up my legs. Sometimes I feel like I can't even walk, or I walk at a slow shuffle. Oprah commented on her 10 minute shoes: those that she can wear only 10 minutes and she takes them off, even while on the set. She recommended a certain brand that did not hurt, but I could not find that on her site. I worked in retail and I wore cheap Nine West pumps. There was an unwriten rule that we had to wear heels while standing 8 hours per day. That resulted in my need to have surgery for hammer toes. I wore a pair of Clarks clogs today and I am in pain, swollen. I feel like my circulation at my feet is compromised. Help! Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm serious, this is debilitating. for example, I have to pee, but I don't want to leave my chair and take the walk to the bathroom. Help Help Help! Thank you. PL

#146072 - 04/09/08 05:01 AM Re: Who Knows Shoes? Help for the feet! [Re: Princess Lenora]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
EAch person's feet is different and how their body is built and balanced weight-wise is different.

I'm amazed to hear of this long-term problem from you for lst time. Guess you've lived with it so long.

Ok, clarify please: So not even customized orthotics would help? Of course that means only certain shoe style can take a customized orthotic.

I have used customized orthotics (slip-in plastic ones) for past 15 years. But unfortunately not all my shoes can accept them ...so I can only wear orthotics approx. 1/2 of the time. I do have several pairs of boots that accommodate my orthotics.

Is this why you won't do sports either?

#146073 - 04/09/08 08:12 PM Re: Who Knows Shoes? Help for the feet! [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Have you visited your foot doctor lately? Mine recommended orthotics for when I walk and told me exactly which ones to buy. They can even make them for you if need be. Maybe with the right orthotics, shoes would be more comfortable. Since you've had foot surgery, I would definitely check with your foot doctor.

We have a store here called The Walking Company - http://www.thewalkingcompany.com/

There shoes are so comfy, not inexpensive, and not always dressy enough for a skirt. I guess it depends on the look you're going for.

#146074 - 04/09/08 11:52 PM Re: Who Knows Shoes? Help for the feet!
Princess Lenora Offline

Thanks for the response. I did do some sports, which was figure skating. I did have custom boots for the blades. I did not think of orthotics, and I haven't visited a podiatrist lately. I thought everyone had a similar problem. But I am seeing some changes to the shape of my feet. Hey Dotsie I liked the Walking Company. I saw some brands I could check out! Thanks

#146075 - 04/10/08 03:27 PM Re: Who Knows Shoes? Help for the feet! [Re: Princess Lenora]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Well I finally made it on the thread again . I am back for now . If I don't lose my password again. Anyway , Princess I found www.easyspirit.com has some shoes to and they have htem for dress also . I do use for standing though SAS shoes , but don't think they have a web site .The waling Company does have good shoes .

My problems is my heels hurt and I put Dr. Scholls heel pads in my shoes and they help a lot to and their are arch supports too by Dr. Scholl .

Hope this helps too

Renee

#146076 - 04/10/08 04:21 PM Re: Who Knows Shoes? Help for the feet! [Re: Princess Lenora]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Princess..I hear you..loud and clear! I have lots of problems finding shoes that are comfy..even trainers don´t always fit me right..I have trouble finding the right fit since my feet have changed so much in the past few years! They are ok in the store. Then I wear them a day or two at work..and I am in PAIN!!! I haven´t had an operation for hammer toe..eventho I think that one foot needs it. It´s this thing called time..when should I get it done when it means time off from work..and I am getting my eye done for grey starr..they call it in Sweden. The changes that come with age..and that means time off from work since I work with kids and the danger of infection is heightened. It´s like there isn´t just one problem when age starts setting in for real..

Can´t give you any advice..I am sorry to say..but am very grateful that you brought it up..and GOOD LUCK!!! You have some places to check anyway...

HUGS!!!

#146077 - 04/10/08 11:09 PM Re: Who Knows Shoes? Help for the feet! [Re: humlan]
Princess Lenora Offline

Humlan, I am sorry to hear that you suffer from "bad feet" as I do. What is grey starr for the eyes? Oh, you said even trainers don't fit you right. When my husband and I were going out together, we would pick different places to hike. As a surprise, he bought me a pair of hiking boots from Eddie Bauer, and in the right size. Sad to say I walked downslope barefoot, due to blisters from hiking up the hill. Perhaps we could wear slippers or ballet flats to work?

#146078 - 04/28/08 01:29 AM Re: Who Knows Shoes? Help for the feet! [Re: Princess Lenora]
Princess Lenora Offline

Ok, girlfriends, I think I need to take your advice and visit a podiatrist. I did an "open house" today. I wore Clarks clogs with a raised sole, but not a heel. I mean, they are slip on clogs. It was a beautiful day here and people were out hiking and riding their bikes, not looking at houses. So I sat for nearly 3 hours, off my feet. But now, 3-4 hours after the open house, my feet are throbbing and my calves are tingling. The arches hurt. Renee, I have some old pairs of Easy Spirit sandals that I won't give up because they hurt my feet but not as much as others. So, Orchid, you think orthodicts? I'm usually pretty intuitive about my body. I like to go to the DR and tell him/her what is wrong, and he/she just confirms for me, and prescribes. But I've got no soul with this foot leg thing. Renee, what are SAS? Well, thanks for listening. I think the bottom line is to see the podiatrist. At least I have my worries in writing here so I can bring this thread along so I don't forget anything! Thanks, any further advice would be appreciated. PL

#146079 - 04/28/08 07:45 AM Re: Who Knows Shoes? Help for the feet! [Re: Princess Lenora]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I have problem feet too. The only thing that helped me was getting prescription inlays. I went to an orthopaedic for that. You don't have to have this pain Princess. Those inlays work wonders, but only those prescribed from a doctor.

Another thing that was very wrong for my feet were clogs or sandals. I need a solid hold all around. It's hard to find "pretty" light summer shoes like that, but there are more of them because there are more Boomers with flat feet, fallen arches, the whole gambit.

Hope you get help soon, because that pain can go right up your leg and into your back. And then you don't know where the pain is coming from. You will probably have to dispose of all your shoes because inlays won't fit in them anymore. Buy just a few new good shoes and bring your inlays along to insert before trying them on.

I rather have a pretty smile and cloggy shoes, then pretty shoes and a cloggy smile.

#146080 - 04/28/08 03:09 PM Re: Who Knows Shoes? Help for the feet! [Re: Edelweiss]
Princess Lenora Offline

Thanks EW. When my feet hurt so bad, I can't smile. So the inlays work wonders? I'll get on that today, see if I need a referral for a podiatrist, or what. And yes, I am giving those Clark's clogs to good will. I can wear the boots all day, but like you said, I need support all around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved