The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 153 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#18488 - 05/31/05 03:26 AM books about breast cancer
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Review of Bald in the Land of Big Hair (a true story) by Joni Rodgers. HarperCollins, 2001. Hardback. 253 pages. ISBN: 0-06-019588-6

Rodgers is the author of two novels, Crazy for Trying, and Sugarland, but has made an impression in the non-fiction field by writing her cancer memoir, and being a keynote speaker for a variety of cancer related organizations.

The title is a concise preview of what the reader will encounter. Rodgers is diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma at the age of thirty-two, while married and raising two children. “Bald” refers to a side effect of chemotherapy, and “big hair” refers to the styles of the big state of Texas, where over done hair is the norm. Rodgers takes us through the indignities of cancer and the treatments. In doing so, she reaches to the core of her being, without the accoutrements of clothing, accessories, and flamboyant hairstyles. Although Rodgers tackles the serious subject of her war against cancer, she does so with humor that will have the reader laughing out loud.

Even the chapter titles are funny: “Cleopatra, Queen of Denial” “Hairless in Houston” “Lights, Cancer, Action” Yet the prologue offers great prose: “When tomorrow was still a given and ignorance was still bliss, I was floating along like a paper sailboat on a lazy river, too caught up in my life to know that I was dying. But the day you’re diagnosed with cancer, you stop dying and start surviving. You stop living and start staying alive.” Anyone who has battled cancer will recognize the truth in this paragraph. Rodgers tells us the truth of her fears, the ugly effects of treatment, and her will to survive.

Although cancer is not hilarious, Rodgers makes it sound comical. The dialogue with her husband after she has lost her hair sounds like stuff for a situation comedy: Her husband says of her bald head, “There is no denying how sick you are.” Rodger says, “I’m not sick.” “You’re sick, Joni.” “I’m not sick.” He says, “You have cancer.” Joni replies, “Throw that in my face, why don’t you?” The infused humor is refreshing.

Rodgers incorporates education within the humor, telling the reader: “In 1994, I was one of about fifty thousand people diagnosed [with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma] and half of us did not live to see the new century. In 2000, more than 62,000 people were told they had lymphoma, even as the overall cancer rate continued a steady decline.” She writes, “In the great barnyard of life, cancer is a manure pile. It stinks…” What reader can resist this style of writing: a combination of information and wit?

Rodgers also writes of the sexual transformations she experienced along with her husband during and after cancer. She adds the conflicts of her children, who alternate between understanding and indignation. In the chapter “Being a Phoenix” Rodgers tells the reader how she goes on with her life when her cancer goes into remission. The re-growth of her hair seems to be a metaphor for her personal and spiritual growth.

Bald in the Land of Big Hair is a breath of fresh air amongst the stacks of educational reading material required for a cancer patient.

#18489 - 06/01/05 07:10 AM Re: books about breast cancer
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lynn, you may be interested in checking out this book at Amazon:

The Courage and Beauty of Breast Cancer Survivors
Jean Karotkin

A compelling collection of black-and-white photographs that reveal a profound energy, grace, and connection between artist and subject. Rich in visual and emotional content, the book is an effort to heal the body and spirit and a tribute to the willpower and inner radiance of women affected by breast cancer.

You must be doing research for your book, huh?

#18490 - 06/01/05 01:53 AM Re: books about breast cancer
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Dotsie, yes, I am doing research for my book. I also thought I'd share my reviews for some of the other survivors on BWS. Thanks for the tip about the above book! LLL

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved