The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 131 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#17786 - 08/01/04 06:03 PM tanning beds?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Has anyone resorted to using tanning beds to hide the veins and cellulite?

In the spring tanning salons are crazy busy. Lots of the young girls tan for proms and Senior weeek.

Is this popular where you live?

I leanred this spring aboaut a tan that is sprayed on. I saw a woman at Curves who had done it and it looked so natural.

#17787 - 08/01/04 06:40 PM Re: tanning beds?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
You know I'm glad you brought that up. I've wondered about that. Is it costly? Do you have to have it done like once a month? Does it wash off? I would consider having it done because I am so lily white if it wasn't that costly and didn't have to be repeated say...every two weeks. Course if you have to be nakkid when they spray it on, I would have to shred the tongue of who ever sprayed mine on...

#17788 - 08/02/04 07:43 AM Re: tanning beds?
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Most of the tanning products in the stores these days provide a good coloring. You decide when to apply another application. No discoloration etc.

Tanning beds are the pits. I never did do it, can't because of MS and the heat. But why sit and super fry? People complain if you sit in the sun but will go to a tanning bed.

My sister goes to a tanning bed religiously. Her 15 year old son said" AHH looking very cancerouse this afternoon". Couldn't be more true.

Lynn

#17789 - 08/01/04 09:39 PM Re: tanning beds?
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
I have a membership to a tanning salon. My husband insists I go, I need the extra rays especially in the winter when I suffer from SAD.

I go once or twice a week after I get my initial tan.

Sherri

#17790 - 08/02/04 01:55 AM Re: tanning beds?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Tanning bed, huh? You must be kidding. Lay in a frying pan apparatus while plugged in. I think not. If I want a tan I walk out the back door and up to the corner and back, the sun does the rest. Peronally a little tan goes a along way. I do not worship the sun and have soft, young looking skin because I avoid it (sun) like the plague. I never go into the pool before the sun cools down, at dusk. I've seen some of the spray on stuff and sure its fine if you want to look like a hard wood floor, strips of color here and there, none matching perfectly. But hey what ever turns you on... [Razz]

#17791 - 08/02/04 03:39 PM Re: tanning beds?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Whoa...did you know that the highest rate of skin cancer is found on the back of legs? That is from tanning beds!

I've done the spray tan and it was nice. Curves (in my town anyway) has a do it yourself. If you get the one where someone sprays you, it can be expensive. Plus, you have to shave and exfoliate before you get it done or you might have blotches.

I think tan cellulite always looks better than white cellulite. [Big Grin]

#17792 - 08/06/04 08:12 PM Re: tanning beds?
mrsmuzz Offline

Loc: Orange, Texas
I only worked for one year for a plastic surgeon, but it was long enough to turn me completely off tanning beds! I use a sunscreen at the pool, and I do spend a lot of time outdoors so I end up with a tan regardless. However, I take precautions not to overdo it. I like my nose right where it is. And yes, your nose can be removed if you develop skin cancer there. In addition, when a person in our practice was diagnosed with Melanoma they went into a special computer tracking program and if they were still alive in 5 years, well, I never saw any of them! NO thanks!

#17793 - 08/06/04 08:25 PM Re: tanning beds?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

MrsMuzz, please don't say that's true. My sis has had Melanoma on her back, had surgery, and that was about 3 1/2 years ago. Are you saying they never survive? And yes, hers was from nothing more than sun worshipping. I've told her to get interested in the mountains....and stay away from the beach!

#17794 - 08/07/04 02:31 AM Re: tanning beds?
mrsmuzz Offline

Loc: Orange, Texas
Dear Jaw Jaw,

I am very sorry to have been so melodramatic, but as I am sure you are aware melanoma is the most serious type of skin cancer. So much depends on the quick diagnosis, proper treatment and most of all follow-up. Tell your sister to make those follow-up appointments, every single one of them! Never fudge. With the proper vigilance so much can be avoided. Even if she feels fine, looks fine, sees no evidence whatever, tell her to suck it up and go in anyhow! Melanoma can quickly metastasize and it's nothing to fool around with. A good deal of our patients tended to get through the first round of treatment and then drop through the woodwork somehow. That's when most of the problem occurs. Sorry to be an alarmist, but you and I both know these sunworshippers sometimes have to be hit with a brick! I tell my sister-in-law all the time, that she is literally playing with fire. She won't listen.

#17795 - 08/07/04 04:49 AM Re: tanning beds?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I totally agree. The lump I had removed wasn't cancerous, so I feel very fortunate, but it was enough of a warning for me. Being a redhead, I knew I would be asking for it, so I stopped immediately with the tanning beds, laying out, going to the beach...and none of it no problem for me either. My sis has been to the beach a couple of times since her surgery, but not that much. She is very dark naturally, and tans easy, so she was the last one I figured would get that. She HAS cut out laying out and in the last year, she hasn't been to the beach, so maybe she's thought it thru...you can lead a horse to water, etc...The good news is she has never missed a follow-up...

JJ

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved