The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 105 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#217068 - 04/24/12 07:31 PM IF GOP wins, we lose control over our bodies
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I'm surprised no one here on the forum has said anything about all the legislation that has passed or is pending which impacts us, our daughters and granddaughters with regard to critical decisions related to our health.

I've been watching things unfold, and I will be interested to see what happens this coming Saturday, April 28th when American women plan to join together in non-partisan unity and shout, "Enough is enough!"

I'm delighted that the days of us women standing on the sidelines and watching while others work to take control of our bodies, health, income and rights are over.

In every state capital around the country, including DC, women will participate in the "We Are Women March" and shout and be heard.

If you want to find out where the march will be held in your state, go the "United Against the War on Women" website.

Here's an op ed piece from political commentator Donna Brazile, whom many of you see on CNN and ABC or hear on NPR, on this same topic. I thought it was worth sharing:

Quote:

GOP's War on Women Hard to Miss

Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said. "One can't believe impossible things."

"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." -- "Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There" by Lewis Carroll

I kept thinking about this conversation between the White Queen and Alice as I watched one Republican spokesperson after another deny that their party has launched a "war on women." Some partisan strategist apparently decided the best way to make a truth go away is to ask the public to believe the impossible -- that it doesn't exist.

Huh?

In full disclosure, I too am a partisan. But I also recognize that facts matter, and that we can't discuss policy if we put words through the looking glass to distort the facts. And all across America, GOP lawmakers have introduced legislation designed to restrict women's access to a full range of reproductive health care services. They even want to eliminate funding for Title X, our nation's family planning program, which was introduced by Richard Nixon.

Redefining women's rights so that they aren't, and finding pretzeled explanations to justify enforcing economic inequality -- I call this Humpty-Dumptying the debate. Republicans' denial of a pattern of behavior -- namely, their concerted effort to return women to a pre-World War I status -- asks us to believe the impossible.

A new report by People for the American Way concludes, "Anti-woman proposals that have been percolating in the right-wing fringe for years -- such as 'personhood' measures -- are suddenly supported by mainstream presidential candidates. Rights that women have come to take for granted -- like the right to access birth control -- have suddenly come under attack for the first time in decades."

Let me highlight just a few of the greatest attacks on women's access to reproductive health care and preventative medicines, as presented in that report:

* Republicans in Congress have voiced strong opposition to extending the Violence Against Women Act. In one instance, they want to strip a provision giving Indian tribes new authority to enforce domestic violence laws. Some Republican leaders, now worried about the gender gap among voters, are modifying their opposition. They will still attempt to pass a watered-down version.

In response, Vice President Joe Biden, one of the original champions of the act, said: "Imagine now the message it sends if (the law is) not reauthorized. Just ask yourself, what message would be sent to every one of our daughters, every one imprisoned in her own home?"

* Many Republicans want to repeal the Lilly Ledbetter Federal Fair Pay Act. Signing it was Obama's first act in office. Still, despite progress, women today are paid 77 cents on the dollar -- a man's dollar. If the pay were equal, it would buy eight months' worth of groceries.

* In 2009, Wisconsin ranked 36th in wage parity. But the state's Equal Pay Protection law for women -- same job, same pay -- allows women to sue businesses. So Republican Gov. Scott Walker got the Republican legislature to repeal the law, using the pretzel defense that lawyers were using the law to "clog up the legal system."

* Republicans in Virginia passed a vile law mandating that a woman seeking an abortion must have an invasive vaginal ultrasound exam, though it has no medical purpose. Republican Gov. Bob McDonnell said he'd sign it, then said he'd oppose it, but signed it March 7.

* In Pennsylvania, Republican Gov. Tom Corbett offered up some advice for women who don't want to have a mandatory ultrasound before they terminate their pregnancy: Don't look at it. "I don't know how you make anybody watch," Corbett said. "You just have to close your eyes."

Will voters consider all this part of an attack on women's rights -- an assault that allows government intrusion into your private life decisions? We will soon find out.

But we women deserve to have control over the critical decisions affecting our own health, and we intend to keep it that way.

Brazile is a political commentator on CNN, ABC and NPR, and a contributing columnist to Roll Call, the newspaper of Capitol Hill.

www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217071 - 04/25/12 02:43 AM Re: IF GOP wins, we lose control over our bodies [Re: Anne Holmes]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I haven't brought it up, Anne, because it makes me so mad I can't see straight. And what really bothers me is the number of women who don't know what's going on or who think it isn't an issue. I think that, since 9/11, we have allowed our rights to be taken away to obtain security, and we now think that we have to give up some rights in order to balance the budget. That's bull****. I cannot find the words, other than some strong curse words, to describe those who are going along with all of this, especially the women. We have been fighting for a long, long, time to have equal rights, and these men would take away what we have won with the stroke of a pen.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#217072 - 04/25/12 03:46 AM Re: IF GOP wins, we lose control over our bodies [Re: yonuh]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Thanks for your comments, Yonuh. I especially liked where you said:
Quote:
I cannot find the words, other than some strong curse words, to describe those who are going along with all of this, especially the women. We have been fighting for a long, long, time to have equal rights, and these men would take away what we have won with the stroke of a pen.

I'm glad to know why you haven't been saying anything. I have been holding off, too, as you know. And when I told my husband today that I was going to break my silence and post comments as many places as I could think of - he was worried that I might offend any of our members who are Republican.

I told him that in my opinion, the travesties that we have been allowing transcend politics - they are human rights issues - and that I can't stay silent any more.

So my intro the the BoomerWomensWorld newsletter will also speak about this -- and I've posted in a couple places on Facebook.

I couldn't figure out what led us to start letting our rights go -- but I realize you nailed it when you mentioned 9/11. The story then was put to us - spun to us I guess we might say - that we needed to give up some of our rights to personal privacy in order to assure that all of us were safe from terrorists.

Where this will end, I don't know. But I urge anyone reading this to join me in making some noise. Let's not allow ourselves to be led silently to the slaughterhouse. No more "go along to get along."

I may be sounding dramatic, but to me, it's just too much like the situation of the Jews in Nazi Germany.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217075 - 04/25/12 01:28 PM Re: IF GOP wins, we lose control over our bodies [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
9/11 and "The Right2Knowlaw" created thereafter is what gives
Lexis/Nexis the power to override Personal Privacy laws. This company and others like it are occupying entire neighborhoods, while the government protects their actions. I haven't gotten into the political debate because I, too, am afraid of offending others, a lot of wonderful people on this site! I agree with Anne but still think we should keep hoping our elected officials have the good of society at heart. We can't lose hope; without hope we're sunk. IMHO, via faith, we must believe God is still in charge! And God knows what He's doing, though we don't understand many of the things taking place throughout the world.

#217078 - 04/26/12 07:09 PM Re: IF GOP wins, we lose control over our bodies [Re: jabber]
Ellemm Offline

Anne, I think tough times expose some underlying agendas. In the US, we have long had as part of our culture the idea that wealthy people are blessed and poor people are morally deficient. Now, during tougher times, we're seeing those attitudes and more. They also tie in with a very strong and well-coordinated Republican agenda that is designed to privatize as much as we can, including schools, eliminate unions, cut taxes, and outlaw not only abortion but a good bit of birth control.

The weird thing is that we're doing much of this in the name of religion. If this offends anyone, sorry, but it's a bit weird to see such ugly rhetoric in the name of Jesus. Balancing the budget is one thing; calling people Communists is another. On a personal note, I do not recognize the Catholic church of my youth. The one operating today would not have issued a major smackdown on a group of nums for devoting too much time to poverty and social justice and too little trying to enforce the church's rules on contraception.

As to women and their rights, our state legislature seems to have done little during the past two years but pass one anti-abortion bill after another and now cut taxes -- this in a state that is already beyond conservative and just about dead last in everything.

I'll be blunt: the cynical part of me thinks that we're going to need pretty, white, middle-class women dying or arrested or denied treatment before people really start to pay attention. Right, we're busy telling ourselves that only 'those people,' whoever they are, will be affected by any of these news laws.

You know, this isn't just about women. The Supreme Court just issued a ruling that people can be strip-searched for even minor infractions and there has been barely a peep. Again, I think people think that only minorities commit crimes, so who cares? Wait until someone's mother gets strip-searched for a traffic violation.

#217084 - 04/27/12 08:03 AM Re: IF GOP wins, we lose control over our bodies [Re: Ellemm]
Mountain Ash Offline

I like learning about other countries.

I have studied British politics and culture and learned much from Victorian history.
The "deserving poor" the "morally deficiant"..usually unmarried mothers .. what happened to illegitmate babies ( whatever happened to the fathers not much )hence my interest in womens issues.

All things tie up and we live through swings and trends.
Power and patriatical government then due to educational opportunity women bringing their voice..
In my country church was a powerful influence in the past..less so these days.The established church was tied to rich landowners in Victorian society.

so any posts about what is happening elsewhere always draws my interest.

We Boomers have seen much change and we do have a voice and the capacity to vote and speak out..

#217087 - 04/27/12 02:39 PM Re: IF GOP wins, we lose control over our bodies [Re: Mountain Ash]
Ellemm Offline

It is ever the same, Mountain: we have raging debates now about abortion, contraception, aid to the poor, shaming legislation aimed at women etc., but not one word -- not one -- about men and their responsibilities fathers, husbands, and partners. You'd almost think we had children by parthenogenesis.

A few people have stood up to propose legislation aimed at criminalizing men (just to make a point), like making, uh, spilling the seed, a crime against personhood. That is how ridiculous our discussions have become.

Meanwhile, the bridges in my state are so deficient they are in danger of falling down, our schools are nothing to write home about, our life and infant mortality statistics are literally like a 3rd world country, we lead the nation in prescription pill abuse (and in people married 3 times or more), we have people who are hungry, and this is what we go on about.

#217088 - 04/27/12 02:57 PM Re: IF GOP wins, we lose control over our bodies [Re: Ellemm]
Mountain Ash Offline

Ah yes Ellemm

#217102 - 04/29/12 11:00 PM Re: IF GOP wins, we lose control over our bodies [Re: Mountain Ash]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I'll be blunt: the cynical part of me thinks that we're going to need pretty, white, middle-class women dying or arrested or denied treatment before people really start to pay attention.

You're in Oklahoma and I'm in Alberta, Canada's ranch and pork country + oil /gas industry powerhouse. We're the province that has the oil tar sands in the north, we also have had a fairly conservative government for last few decades. We nearly voted in this month a more extreme right wing govn't.

After living in British Columbia and Ontario, it is most certainly true here in Alberta, that if one is: homeless, very poor, non-English language immigrant or drug addict, their collective voices are muted/squashed.

#217103 - 04/29/12 11:03 PM Re: IF GOP wins, we lose control over our bodies [Re: orchid]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
In fact the voices that will speak in this province on social justice matters, are those:

*have lived previously elsewhere outside of the province
*or belong to one of the less fortunate/rich folks

Edited by orchid (04/29/12 11:03 PM)

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved