The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#160839 - 09/24/08 07:30 PM Sleep - Baby Boomer Women
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
There was talk of sleeping in in another post so I thought it might be interesting to see how everyone's sleeping these days.

When was the last time you slept through the night?

How often do you get to sleep in?

Do you take or do anything to help you sleep?

What wakes you?

This is amazing because it happens so rarely, but last night I slept through the night. Went to bed at 10:30 and awakened at 7:00. Boy did that feel good. The weather has been beautiful. The windows were wide open and the temperature was a little chilly. Perfect sleeping weather.

#160866 - 09/24/08 09:36 PM Re: Sleep - Baby Boomer Women [Re: Dotsie]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I very rarely sleep through the whole night. Everything wakes me. I'm a restless sleeper and always have been. My mother told me long ago that I never slept well as a kid neither. My lack of sleep seems to be worse since I hit menopause. I get so tired of being tired. tired I take magnesium tabs and that has helped some what.

#160879 - 09/24/08 10:27 PM Re: Sleep - Baby Boomer Women [Re: Cookie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Well from rarely sleeping for a month or so, I now am sleeping like a baby again. Not sure what made the change, I am doing nothing different. Last night I was in bed by 4:00 a.m. and didn't wake up until nearly 1:30 p.m. today. I feel so energized!
OOPS! Just remembered the ex was here during the time I wasn't sleeping well, and he is GONE again forever this time, oh God, I hope so...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#160882 - 09/24/08 10:39 PM Re: Sleep - Baby Boomer Women [Re: chatty lady]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Like Cookie, I rarely sleep through the night and everything wakes me. But I somehow manage to get enough sleep. The only time I sleep in is when I'm sick, which is extremely rare. Even at the worst of my grief this past year, I rarely got out of bed any later than 8am.

I don't take anything to sleep. All I have to do to get back to sleep is start praying for people...it never fails!

And I know without a doubt that God wakes me up to pray for specific people...when I wake up with a name in my heart, I know that it's useless to try to get back to sleep until I pray for that person.

(Maya Angelou)

#160894 - 09/25/08 12:36 AM Re: Sleep - Baby Boomer Women [Re: Eagle Heart]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I usually sleep well except two situations:
1. when I'm migraining, I'm often in too much pain to sleep.
2. when I have to wake up early the next morning. So I'm lying in bed thinking, omigod, my alarm goes off at 6am -- and it's 1am, 2am, still not asleep...

I tried melatonin once and slept 13 hours straight, and then barely got up for the next several hours. Scary.

My normal sleep pattern is in bed by 1am and awake 9ish.

Poet and essayist

#160938 - 09/25/08 02:17 PM Re: Sleep - Baby Boomer Women [Re: meredithbead]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I get 4 hours a night, six if I've had a busy day. My Dad was like this and my Mom was almost the same so I guess it's hereditary with me. I wake up thinking about ideas for clay or poker hands...yeah crazy I know but I am ready to take on the world. I am my own excitement! wink
I bound out of bed and I have to have my coffee.I don't have trouble getting to sleep usually but the last month was crazy for me too. Must be autumn related.

#160939 - 09/25/08 02:18 PM Re: Sleep - Baby Boomer Women [Re: chickadee]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Sorry can't edit...those 4-6 hours..I can sleep through a war.

#160949 - 09/25/08 03:00 PM Re: Sleep - Baby Boomer Women [Re: chickadee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Cookie, I think we all slept better before menopause. I know I did.

chatty, glad to here that posting here helped you figure that one out. Onward...

chats, you should be parenting teens with those hours. Those are close to the hours my kids were keeping when home from college. I'm an early bird so could never go to bed too late.

Eagle, I also pray meself to sleep in the middle fo the night. My daughter was put on insulin this week. God help us. I woke up at 3:33 last night worrying about her having a low blood sugar in her dorm room. All I could do was pray and then I was sleeping again. I must turn my worries to prayer in the middle of the night so they don't get the best of me.

Meredith, is there anything you can do to make yourself sleep through a migraine? They sound so miserable. I've never had one that makes the head ache, but have had ocular migraines where my vision gets all wacky.

chick, I don't know how you do it. Your mention of heredity is interesting. I know people who take after their elders when it comes to sleeping too. My MIL was a rotten sleeper, and so is her one of her sons, and so was my MILs father. Then there are people like me who take after my dad. He can fall asleep sitting in a chair, and I can sleep anywhere.

Anyone else take after a parent.

Another thought for this thread is what keeps you up at night?
I ususally fall alseep very easily, but if I do awaken, it's worry that keeps me up. Usually health concerns of loved ones. How about you?

#160983 - 09/25/08 07:26 PM Re: Sleep - Baby Boomer Women [Re: Dotsie]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
When was the last time you slept through the night?

How often do you get to sleep in?

Do you take or do anything to help you sleep?

What wakes you?

I tend to sleep through the night only about 30% of time for the awhile. Probably related to stress if I worry about something..and if I don't do stretching exercises to relax my body, etc.

It is true that for me, on days that I have cycled for several hrs., I sleep more deeply and longer. But that's on the weekends. laugh

Other than exercise, I have never taken anything to help myself to sleep better.

I am abit sleep-deprived during the week since I get up so early to start my work commute. I justify this by the fact that my job is temporary, contract and hence, where I work won't be forever.

#160996 - 09/25/08 10:09 PM Re: Sleep - Baby Boomer Women [Re: ]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Dotsie, I bought melatonin in hopes that I could sleep through a migraine. It took 2 hours to fall asleep and then I was a log for the next 13. Then I still could barely open my eyes. Not a particularly great solution IMO.

In sleep patterns, I definitely take after my mom. I'd call her 9pm from Cali (she's in NY) and she'd say, "Do you know how late it is here?" I'd say, "Yeah, midnight, were you asleep?" Mom: "No, I'm reading. You know I can't fall asleep that early."

Poet and essayist

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved