The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 165 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#104107 - 01/22/07 01:02 PM Anybody take Zetia?
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
My doc has started me on Zetia for high cholesterol. She tried me on Lipitor and Lescol a couple of years ago, but I couldn't tolerate them. (You know how those commercials say if you experience severe muscle pain, etc, contact your doc as some people can't take it? That was me). Then I lost some weight and my cholesterol went down, but the last few years it keeps creeping up and up. So, I'm trying Zetia. Doc gave me 2 weeks worth of samples and a prescription to fill if I tolerate the two weeks' worth ok. I've been taking it for about a week and so far no side effects other than a slightly upset stomach which I'm hoping will go away as I get used to the meds.
My best friend's husband couldn't tolerate Lipitor either and he takes Zetia with no problems. Hoping I'll be the same way.
Just wondering if anyone here takes Zetia and can tell me how they're doing on it? Especially anyone who couldn't handle some of the other cholesterol-lowering meds?
Thanks!

#104108 - 01/22/07 03:03 PM Re: Anybody take Zetia? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Ann, I had the same reaction to Lipitor. Would just fall down and had trouble getting up. It was damaging my muscles. I'm now on Zetia and have no problem but...it hasn't worked as well at lowering my cholesterol.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#104109 - 01/22/07 03:06 PM Re: Anybody take Zetia? [Re: Dianne]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I also take Zetia, but I take it in combination with other drugs, so I could not tell you about side effects. The one advantage of Zetia is it does not involve the liver, which most of the rest do. It is a lot less harmful, that is for sure.

#104110 - 01/22/07 05:03 PM Re: Anybody take Zetia? [Re: Anno]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
At one time, I think my husband has taken about every cholesterol pill there is. His cholesterol was 300. All of them made him feel terrible.......fatigue, muscle aches, bad indigestion, stomach aches,etc. He stopped taking the cholesterol pills. "Let the chips fall where they may", he said. He couldn't function daily feeling like that. He was also very uncomfortable with the fact that his liver had to be monitored so closely by having it checked every 3 months. I finally convinced him to start eating oatmeal (old fashion) everyday and then asked him to humor me to go get it checked after 3 months. He does not have a cholesterol problem anymore! I know this isn't the answer for everyone, but it has always been my belief that food is our best medicine. I have always eaten oatmeal and my cholesterol is around 180... and I love my red meat.

#104111 - 01/22/07 05:50 PM Re: Anybody take Zetia? [Re: Cookie]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Cookie, did he do anything different beside the oatmeal?

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#104112 - 01/22/07 06:35 PM Re: Anybody take Zetia? [Re: Dianne]
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
I have been using supplements and oatmeal for over a year. I successfully lowered my total from 275 to 184. My doctor worked with me and gave me a fighting chance to see if I could in fact lower it. It took about 9 months (Dr. checked every 3 months)and I'm happy to report it worked. I take Red Yeast Rice, Policosinol, Omega III's - tried garlic but hated that, and drink green tea often. And, I to think the oatmeal really made a huge difference.

Most doctors are so tied into the pharmacuetical companies that they wouldn't think of using alternative treatment. My doc is a D.O. and has always been open to other options if possible.

#104113 - 01/22/07 06:48 PM Re: Anybody take Zetia? [Re: browser57]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
No, Dianne, he really doesn't do anything else. He eats his oatmeal & takes a multivitamin and a Super B complex vitamin that has folic acid in it which can lower your homocysteinel level. In the beginning when the doctor told him he had high cholesterol,he did everything he was told from taking the pills, watching his diet & walking daily. His cholesterol hardly budged. He was very frustrated. He ate all that tasteless fatfree stuff. He did this for about 2 years and his cholesterol only went down to around 240-250. The doc wanted to up the mg. to 40mg, but he said no because he felt bad enough on the low dosage and was afraid he wouldn't be able to roll out of bed in the morning on a higher dosage. He felted he was being held hostage by all the doctor appts, liver tests, & the doctors prescription pad. He made the decision to stop taking the pills, and does not eat the fatfree foods anymore neither. He/we just eat healthy the best we can. We definitely don't eat fast food hardly ever. I tried to get him to eat oatmeal all along, but he just wouldn't because he said it gave him too much gas and he couldn't hold that much in all day at work. I introduced him to my friend, "beano". He has been eating old fashion oatmeal everyday for about 2-3 years now. I fix him the heartsmart serving.

#104114 - 01/23/07 01:58 AM Re: Anybody take Zetia? [Re: Cookie]
Pam R. Offline

I have taken Zetia for the last 2 1/2 years along with 80 mg. Pravachol. My cardiologist felt that the Zetia would enhance the Pravachol and it does. I am lucky, no side effects. Although I do have mid back pain, the doctors all think it is a bulging disc. I do not have the muscle pain in my legs. You MUST get a CK blood test to see if your muscles are affected. Normal range is 0-165. Mine was 201 but the cardiologist said it is nothing to worry about. My total cholesterol is 173, HDL is 64 and LDL is 80. The new American Heart Association standard for heart attack victims is to have an HDL lower than 70 (others should not worry if they are at 100 or lower). My doctor is aiming to get mine down to the 70 mark but we are having a difficult time. No more snacks, holidays are over, and he has given me 4 months to accomplish new numbers. He is very, very strict with me and I appreciate that since he is a wonderful and caring cardiologist. In some cases, heredity is the enemy, and in my case it may very well be that. I will do my best and if I don't succeed, he plans to change meds again.

#104115 - 01/23/07 02:30 PM Re: Anybody take Zetia? [Re: Pam R.]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Does the instant oatmeal work as well?

I am so glad this thread was started. It could save lives.

I've never heard of a CK test. I'm off the Lipitor so I guess there is no need for it now.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#104116 - 01/24/07 01:55 AM Re: Anybody take Zetia? [Re: Dianne]
Pam R. Offline

I HATE oatmeal Dianne! However, I hear that Cheerios work too! I think I will begin a new breakfast regimen! I do not think it works as well as medication however.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved