The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 225 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#85650 - 08/19/06 08:43 PM Knees
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I recall posting recently about boomers busting future records for knee and hip replacements because we created the exercise boom and now we're paying the price.

May I add myself to this category?

While playing tennis with my son today, I went left to return a serve and the top of my leg went with me, while the bottom somehow stayed where it was. I hit the dirt knowing I had done something seriously wrong to my knee.

Sonny boy came to the rescue, took me to the ER, and I am now on the couch with my leg elevated, ice pack under my knee, leg brace the size of Florida next to me, and a prescription to have an MRI by my favorite orthopod this week.

I am an orthopaedic nightmare. I've already torn my other ACL playing soccer with the kids at a church function, popped my achilese (spelled way wrong) while playing tennis, and now have done who knows what to this knee.

Ross and I have all kinds of plans for our empty nest (second child leaves this week, third one shortly thereafter), but God must have something else in store. I'll keep you posted.

Oh, and did I mention we're having company for dinner? This should be interesting.

#85651 - 08/19/06 08:50 PM Re: Knees
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Hopefully you have considered takeout for dinner. Take care of yourself and hope you feel better soon.
Anno

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#85652 - 08/19/06 09:59 PM Re: Knees [Re: Anno]
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
Dotsie, you are sooooo right about our generation paying the price for the fittness boom. About 7 years ago, I was living in an apartment temporarily as we prepared to relocate to TN. There was a group of ladies that met twice a week in the clubhouse for aerobics. Well, since my apt. was on the 2nd floor, I didn't want to do my usual workout tapes as I had done when I was a 'homeowner.' I had visions of the neighbor below banging the ceiling with a broom handle!! I have worked out since my 30's and so I didn't think anything of joining the class. I'm not a fan of group exercise classes although I taught one for time. I thought - what the heck, I'd give it a try. Well, I was old enough to be their mother. I managed to keep up with them which was no easy feat - but truth be told it about killed me. On the last night of class - for reasons unknown - I landed on my right leg in an odd position - and the pain shot thru my knee like a knife. I have not been the same since. I believe I did some real damage - but, chicken that I am - have not seen a doctor. It will no doubt have to be addressed one day. I still work out and try to 'baby' it, but it will wake me in the night with that searing, shooting pain on the inner knee. I think it's tendon damage - but, did I mention that 'chicken little' thing about seeing the doctor?!? I do know several gals my age that have had knee and hip replacements and hope I won't be needing anything that drastic for a long time.

#85653 - 08/19/06 10:09 PM Re: Knees [Re: Anno]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
You poor thing...a bad sprain can be really terrible. A few years back I broke one ankle and sprained the other one really bad, and the sprain took longer to heal than the break plus it still bothers me at times...Give it plenty of time to heal and wear that brace whatever else you do. Saying a prayer for you.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#85654 - 08/19/06 10:11 PM Re: Knees [Re: browser57]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Oh Lordy....you poor souls...if you would just follow my example and sit on the couch, watch some mindless TV and eat Oreo's, you'd be much better off...pain-wise, that is.

Course, you'd be fluffy, too. Hmm...

God's speed Dots!

JJ

#85655 - 08/19/06 10:32 PM Re: Knees [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Oh Dotsie, sure wish we could be there to help in some way...hubby's homemade soup? some fresh baked cookies? Watermelon? Earl Grey tea, hot?

Take it easy...good thing you have a laptop! (you DO have a laptop, I seem to remember, don't you?) I'll be keeping you close in prayer as well. All things work together for good - can't wait to see what this one's all about!

(Maya Angelou)

#85656 - 08/20/06 12:18 AM Re: Knees [Re: Eagle Heart]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Sorry to hear about the misadventure, Dotsie. Try not to be loadbearing on the leg until you have had the MRI just to make sure you don't cause further injury to it. Borrow the crown from JJ for the time being, put your feet up and delegate.

#85657 - 08/20/06 01:55 AM Re: Knees [Re: Lola]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

Dotsie, so sorry to hear about your knee. Hope you have some kind of pain reliever too.

#85658 - 08/20/06 01:46 PM Re: Knees [Re: dejavu]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks for all the well wishes. Funny thing is, I'm not in much pain. Thank God. I took the brace off and am heading to church. I can't fit in the pew with the brace on. We have goofy theater seating. But I am going to be oh so careful. I definitely did something here. The knee can't twist so I think it's the tendon/ligament related.

I am going to smack the brace on, go shopping for the last time with my daughter to ready her for college (she leaves Thursday), then hit the Queen's couch. I just have to get some Oreo's while I'm out!

browser, I have a friend who has a knee similar to yours. A bunch of us played basketball in high school so we decided to try a grown up league for fun. Liitle did we know they had young 20 something college grads who subbed on occasion. She injured her knee, never went to the doctor, and limps to this day. You should get an MRI just so you know what's going on.

#85659 - 08/20/06 03:47 PM Re: Knees
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Dotsie,I have you in my prayers for quick healing.Your right to be very careful and not push it too much.
Luv,
chick

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved