The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 167 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#18736 - 09/24/05 08:45 PM Panic Attack?
Bookie Offline

Loc: Arizona
[Confused]
Yesterday was hellatious! It was one fire after another and I felt like I was going to explode any moment so maybe that is why I experienced what felt like a total brain burn out but...

I felt so frightened and panicky when I could not remember a phone number that I dial at least 10 times a day! I knew that this number was also set up in my phone memory but I couldn't even remember that number!

This isn't the first time something like this has happened. Oh sure, I've experienced "destinasia" (you know...walking into a room and wondering where the heck am I going and what was I going to do when I got there) But this was so different. Was I having some kind of panic attack?

#18737 - 09/24/05 09:58 PM Re: Panic Attack?
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Bookie, When I first collapsed from severe exhaustion and stress-related burnout in 2002, my short-term memory was non-existent for weeks. And even now, when we have a lot of houseguests or people over for supper, I get "stupid", can't even remember these people's names and they're family! But they know now not to get offended, they all realize that I'm experiencing some sort of catastrophic memory problem right now. It seems to be stress-related, a lingering remnant of my severe burn-out. Being here has actually helped lessen the severity.

I think you put it well when you called it "total brain burn out". I would hazard a guess that you were overwhelmed by the constant hecticness of the day and your fried brain just couldn't keep up anymore.

How are you today? Can you remember things today that you couldn't yesterday?

#18738 - 09/24/05 10:45 PM Re: Panic Attack?
Bookie Offline

Loc: Arizona
Thanks Eagle Heart

Yes I'm much better today. Still a bit tense but under control and doing a little self pampering.

When I was talking with my sister yesterday I was obviously brain fried then too because she kept asking me if I was ok. Shucks, just because I couldn't remember her kids' names. (which normally, I know as well as my own)

Good thing I did not have to talk to too many of my clients yesterday. They would have wondered what happened to the generally calm and collected Bookie they all know and love.

I think she's back today. Thanks for your support.

I hope you are doing well today also.
We just have to keep in mind that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. As long as it is not an oncoming freight train we should be fine right?!
Have a great day!

#18739 - 11/07/05 05:09 AM Re: Panic Attack?
Bichonlover Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Brook, I did have a full fledged panic attack one time. I ended up in the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. My symptoms were racing heartbeat, sweating, nausea, breathing difficutlies and I can't even remember the rest of them. Brain fog as I call it, may be panic attacks but it sounds like stress to me. I do have spells of brain fog too but I attribute that to aging. I'm 62 so I've had a lot of them LOL

Julie

#18740 - 11/07/05 05:41 AM Re: Panic Attack?
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Hi Bichonlover,

Welcome to BWS...make yourself at home, look around and expect to find many friendly, warm, caring, women here.

You will have to tell us more about your Bichon...I'm assuming you have one. They really are so gentle and sensitive. So cute......
My husband's aunt's DIL has one that I fell in love with last summer.

We have several women here from the Pacific Northwest area. I'm sure they will be here shortly to welcome you.

#18741 - 11/07/05 06:09 AM Re: Panic Attack?
mellodysmiles Offline

Loc: Redding, CA
Welcome, glad to have you. [Smile]

#18742 - 11/07/05 08:15 AM Re: Panic Attack?
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
Welcome from another Pacific NW person.
I live in Olympia, WA. Been here approx. 36 years. Originally from Eureka, Calif.
Wouldn't live anywhere else but here.
I know you will love this "home away from home."
So many kind women, who want to help you in any way they can.
Enjoy!
Lynne

#18743 - 11/07/05 10:23 PM Re: Panic Attack?
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
Bookie,

It's sounds like you were over-stressed and overwhelmed. For me, short term memory is the first victim of any kind of stress.

I've had full-fledged panic attacks that are symptomatic of my chemically induced depression. Sometime when I can't cope with something I either put it off until I can or find someone else to do it for me.

I hope I've helped a little. You sound like you're going to be just fine.

#18744 - 11/07/05 11:32 PM Re: Panic Attack?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I'm sure chemically induced depression could cause difficulty with menory, but taking anti-depressants can also cause short term memory loss. Actually the memories aren't lost. They just become very difficult to access.

I researched that once when I was directing a play. Most of the cast was on some form of prozac and couldn't seem to remember their lines despite the fact that they knew them.

Apparently the drug interferes with the brain's filing system for memories.

I have no excuse. I say I just live in another world. Of course I don't add that the world I live in is OLD.
smile

#18745 - 11/08/05 04:28 AM Re: Panic Attack?
Bichonlover Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Thanks for all the welcomes.
Lynne, I live in Bremerton..
Hope Bookie finds some answers...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved