The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 89 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#18864 - 11/05/05 09:52 AM Dental Stuff
whatnow Offline

Hi, I have a mouthful of the "old style" crowns (really fake looking and different colors) and I'm always very self-conscious about them. Has anyone had old dental work replaced with the newer stuff and what's your experience been like? It's something I keep thinking about doing if I ever can afford it.

Also, does anyone else feel like this -- when I was growing up, everyone had very visible dental work. Now nobody looks like they have any dental work any more, which makes me feel like I'm the only person in the world with any!

#18865 - 11/05/05 09:59 AM Re: Dental Stuff
mellodysmiles Offline

Loc: Redding, CA
Hi whatnow,
I don't have any crowns but I did just get my old fillings replaced with gold. My dentist told me that crowns sometimes crack and the gold was better. It really isn't that noticeable on me and anyway my great smile makes up for it! LOL [Big Grin]

#18866 - 11/05/05 11:47 AM Re: Dental Stuff
mrs_madness Offline

Loc: Moscow
Perfect matching teeth is an American thing--a real fetish. In other countries you see people with all kinds and colors and imperfect teeth and really nobody seem to care much. It's very American cultural.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you. In fact, I kind of like that people I see outside of America have all kinds of teeth, it gives their faces a kind of individuality.

#18867 - 11/05/05 06:28 PM Re: Dental Stuff
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I had a couple of crowns replaced with the newer tech. I've been really happy. Expensive tho! [Eek!] They continue to improve ways of doing them and they look much more natural than when I had to first get them 15 years ago.

My wonderful dentist has started a foundation to do regular and cosmetic dentistry on battered women, free of charge. Isn't that great!

If you don't feel good about your smile, I believe dental work would change your life. anything that keeps you from smiling isn't good, you know?

#18868 - 11/05/05 07:23 PM Re: Dental Stuff
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I went to the same dentist from the age of 12 until about 2 years ago, when he retired. The young woman who replaced him, bought his practice and really brought it into the 21st century. She has a computer in the waiting room,etc. But I still switched dentists because it just seemed to be all about marketing. I was told I needed 3 crowns and my current dentist didn't think so at all. I'm not in pain and I don't have the money to spend a $1,000 on dental work I don't need. I'd rather buy a new sofa!

Daisygirl

#18869 - 11/06/05 08:57 AM Re: Dental Stuff
whatnow Offline

Dianne, do you know what kind your new crowns are? All porcelain? Captek? Etc?

Mrs M: I actually agree with you! I think it's kind of boring now that everyone's teeth look exactly the same. I also think "teeth" are the new "weight." On the other hand, admittedly, I'm buckling to societal pressure! [Smile]

#18870 - 11/05/05 10:17 PM Re: Dental Stuff
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
whatnow, so am I. I'm buying the teeth whitening strips as soon as I can find a coupon. Teehee. Good luck with your decision.

mrsmadness, I like your thoughts about teeth. Very interesting.

Dianne, I agree with waht you said about fixing anything that keeps you from smiling! How true.

#18871 - 11/05/05 10:35 PM Re: Dental Stuff
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
My sis is the office manager for a dental office so I have a different slant on things. I love going there and accuse the two dentist there of hiring only "pretty people" to work for them. Course that's not true, but everyone there has such great personalities, that they ARE pretty to me.

They also have vibrating chairs you can turn on inbetween the torture procedures, and they wax your hands for you (I LOVE this) and they give you mementos like manicure sets, or boy scout knives, when you leave. There is a TV in every room, and magazines of every kind in there. Get this... they ALSO give you homemade cookies when you leave. I told Doc (that's what I call him) that he just does this to ensure cavities...

I love my dentist and wouldn't even consider going anywhere else... why would I do that? Homemade cookies people! Ya know?

JJ

#18872 - 11/05/05 10:58 PM Re: Dental Stuff
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
whatnow, I believe they are porcelain.

#18873 - 11/05/05 11:25 PM Re: Dental Stuff
mellodysmiles Offline

Loc: Redding, CA
jawjaw, I want to go to your dentist...mine is nice but yours sounds fantastic! [Big Grin]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved