The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 132 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#17868 - 09/08/04 04:47 AM Chiropractors
Agate Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I'm just full of questions lately... I'm wondering if anyone sees or has seen a chiropractor. I hurt my back a couple weeks ago and after trying a number of things I'm getting desparate. Do chiropractic treatments work? How do you tell a good chiropractor from a bad one? What's a reasonable treatment plan like (how often do you go, for how long of a time period)?

#17869 - 09/08/04 05:47 PM Re: Chiropractors
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
My husband goes to a reputable chiropractor that we knew personally. Several friends recommended him when Ross hurt his back shovleing snow years ago. At that time because he was in the middle of a flare up, he went a few times.

Any time he feels the pain returning he goes in for an adjustment and that does it. Occasionally he's had to go more than once, but for the most part it's a one shot deal.

I think the best way to find one is by asking family and friends.

Hope this helps. I'd say get to one asap.

#17870 - 09/08/04 06:58 PM Re: Chiropractors
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Chiropractors are awesome! I discovered them during my second pregnancy.

I was recently on a trip to Chicago and Arizona and hurt my shoulder in Chicago a few days before going to AZ. I couldn't find a chiropractor that anyone could recommend (I odn't like to go to ones that aren't recommended). After a week of agonzing pain (and pain relievers and anti inflammatories from an osteopath in AZ) I got home and went to my chiro and voila!

It usually should only take one treatment unless you're really messed up, or unless you mess up again. The biggest way to mess up your back is livting and twisting at the same time.

#17871 - 09/11/04 06:47 AM Re: Chiropractors
Paja Offline

Loc: NC-USA
I wouldn't be able to walk or use my right arm or exist without head pain IF I did not go regularly to my chiropractor.

I had an injury as a toddler, dragged down stairs by a dog who didn't realized humans can't run down the steps. I was holding tight to the leash! Nothing showed as an injury then.

45 years and 11 miscarriages later, a chiropractor discovered I had broken my neck and severely dislocated the 5th lumbar, which controls how the gonads develop.

Two car wrecks... well, you get the picture.

After your pain leaves, chiropractic treatment becomes preventive. The Dr. can teach you how your lifestyle/habits are damaging your body in subtle subluxations that need to be corrected before they produce trouble.

Every chiropractor, in my opinion, should give you a non-invasive, no pain muscle test and take xrays of the bones in your pain area BEFORE treating you. Dr. will explain how your body's skeleton is assembled and how life unassembles it. Dr's job is to put it back into place as closely as possible. It won't want to stay there, so you may have to go back several times at first until the body learns what's right.

I go once a month unless I'm having trouble in some area. It's much cheaper than medical visits and medication--and healthier for the body. Many D.C.s can advise about nutrition, acupressure, acupuncture, and can refer you to other practicioners for holistic dentistry, naturopathy, etc. (Not all D.C.s are created equal. You will like some and not like others, just like any people.)

Adjustments to your spine and other bones are non-invasive and may be done manually, my preference, or by a small "clicker", my term. Both are accurate manipulations. Some offices offer forms of physical therapy or massage also. (Not mine, alas. I have a masuesse (massage person) who help toxins move out of the muscles.

Sorry for the long read, but I just love chiropractic.

#17872 - 09/11/04 09:53 AM Re: Chiropractors
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Good gosh running around with broken neck. Excuse my stupidity here but aren't "gonads" balls? Why would their development concern you? Please enlighten me here! [Confused]

#17873 - 09/11/04 04:36 PM Re: Chiropractors
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
LOL chatty!

#17874 - 09/11/04 08:38 PM Re: Chiropractors
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Chatty, I thought the same, but when you look it up in the dictionary it also refers to ovaries!

Paja mentions maasage therapy. The older I get, the more appealing it sounds. [Wink]

#17875 - 09/14/04 07:15 AM Re: Chiropractors
Paja Offline

Loc: NC-USA
Chatty, some ladies have 'em some don't [Big Grin] I'm chuckling. Glad I could expand your thinking.

The lumbar dislocation affected the way my reproductive organs developed, which caused miscarriages.

The broken neck was not broken all the way across the spinal column. One of the vertebrae was broken along the front and a chunk was loose. Over time, the body reabsorbed the chunk. The now deformed vertebrae showed in the xray. It wasn't painful, but caused me to hold my head at a difficult angle and mom thought it was poor posture.

#17876 - 09/14/04 04:35 AM Re: Chiropractors
Agate Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I had my 3rd chiropractic treatment today and I'm feeling a bit leery. Today the chiropracter presented a treatment plan, consisting of 24 chiro treatment (my insurance only allows 15 visits), some physical therapy stuff, etc., coming to a grand total of $2108. I have a $350 deductable after which insurance picks up 70%.

The treatments do help but my husband puts chiropractors in the same category as witch doctors so the cost is kind of hard to justify.

Why is it so hard to get medical insurance to help with pain (besides loading you down with a bunch of pills)? Maybe if I just take up yoga or something...

#17877 - 09/14/04 04:49 PM Re: Chiropractors
Dotsie Offline
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Agate:

The treatments do help but my husband puts chiropractors in the same category as witch doctors so the cost is kind of hard to justify.

Why is it so hard to get medical insurance to help with pain (besides loading you down with a bunch of pills)? Maybe if I just take up yoga or something...

Mary, in what category do you place chiropractors?

What if you go for the 15 that your insurance company covers and see if you're better by then?

I hear you on the pill thing. Mention anything and some doctors whip out their prescription pads.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved