The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 146 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#17708 - 06/03/04 12:55 AM Healthcare coverage
Peg Offline

Loc: California
Hello ladies! just wondering if any of you have any ideas for self employed people (with pre-existing medical conditions) to obtain healthcare coverage? With type 1 diabetes, I'm having a terrible time trying to find coverage after my cobra runs out...Hippa is the only thing I've found, but the cost is unbelievable, how do people do this? anyway, any thoughts?

thanks everyone....

#17709 - 06/03/04 02:26 AM Re: Healthcare coverage
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Peg,

Your research is very accurate. In many cases HIPPA is the only course of action until medicare kicks in. In some instances COBRA can be carried for 36 months. Check with your plan administrator, I think the reasons change for each state.

I ahve MS and my husband has pancreatic cancer. We are uninsurable! Fortunately, I have good benefits at my employment but I would very much like to leave that employment and can't.

In some cases, if you are self employed or your spouse is self employed you can be eligible for group benefits that are regulated by legislation with no health questions. In Maryland that is the case.

E mail me if you think of more direct questions that you think I may be able to help with.

Lynn

#17710 - 06/03/04 03:14 AM Re: Healthcare coverage
Peg Offline

Hi Lynn...yes, I almost stayed with my employer for that very reason. But I wanted to write my book and I took a giant leap of faith. I'm so healthy, other than the diabetes, no complications and I'll match my blood work with anyone. Its just labeled, "catastrophic", so there you go. My cobra is up in Sept...soooo...I know this dilema will test my resolve..anyway, thanks for your message...take care of yourself!
Peg

#17711 - 06/03/04 05:18 PM Re: Healthcare coverage
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Peg I went through the same situation a year ago. My COBRA ran out and I was told I was UNINSURABLE by every insurance company I tried to apply for. It was heartbreaking.

I did find some "supplemental" insurance that is about as good as you can get. It doesn't cover all the bills, but it covers most with some type of payment and it has a drug card so you can get a somewhat reduced rate on prescription drugs.

Here is my rep's name and number. He's in Florida, but I'm sure he can direct you to someone in your area.

They specify in problem health insurance.

His name is Roger Quast and his number is 1-866-579-5838 (toll free). Just let him know I recommended him. Once he remembers my case, I'm sure he'll be able to help you.

Good luck.

#17712 - 06/03/04 05:48 PM Re: Healthcare coverage
Peg Offline

Thank you so much, Vicki! I'll check him out. I appreciate your idea.....

God Bless, Peg

#17713 - 06/03/04 06:13 PM Re: Healthcare coverage
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Peg,
You might also consider contacting your state Insurance Commission or whoever regulates insurance there.
There may be a COBRA loophole. (There is a loophole in almost every piece of legislation.)
I would start with a phone call to the Insurance Commission just to gather information. Find out who the commissioners are then follow up in writing with copies to each commissioner, your elected representative, governor, and any other politician who might help.

Keep a record of the responses to your letters and phone calls. You may need them. If you still don't get help, write a letter describing your plight to the local media. Sometimes it takes that to jump start a politician.
smile

#17714 - 06/04/04 07:14 AM Re: Healthcare coverage
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
What great ideas from everyone.

Peg, I can offer sympathy. My husband is also a Type I Diabetic and we went through this several years ago when we were trying to get more him life insurance. Our tactic was determination. We didn't give up until we found a company that would take him on.

Don't give up. Your health is too important.

One more thought. Perhaps if you join one of the bigger writing organizations you may be able to be included as a part of their group.

#17715 - 06/04/04 07:14 AM Re: Healthcare coverage
Peg Offline

Hi Smilinize...you know, many years ago, when I was first diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, I had no insurance. In order to get on "the list" for state insurance (available at the time) I had to write my Senator and then a few years later, I ended up an alternate delegate and I gave a speech at the caucus on healthcare reform and patient advocacy. Its just so unfair, what is happening....but I will figure it out, I'm sure. I'm starting a couple of months early as my COBRA ends in Sept...wish me luck and thanks for your input.

Peg

#17716 - 06/04/04 07:23 AM Re: Healthcare coverage
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I didn't mean that you could get state insurance, though that might be a possibility.
Sometimes the Insurance Commission will refer you to a list of potential private insurance companies speific to your needs (like those who cover pre existing conditions, post cobra, etc.) Then you can call each to get the best price.
Also, they might know about any possible loopholes for extensions of your Cobra.
Seems worth a phone call or possibly a letter. ??
smile

#17717 - 06/04/04 07:31 AM Re: Healthcare coverage
Peg Offline

Smilinize ...You bet its worth a call and I will do that. Again thanks for the idea. And Dotsie, I have been trying several different writing organizations, so far, to no avail, but that, too, is on my agenda..

Thanks!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved