The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 90 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#18258 - 02/17/05 07:16 PM Hypnotism
mrsmuzz Offline

Loc: Orange, Texas
Ladies,

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with hypnotism? Here's the deal....I have a math phobia. I have had it since the 7th grade (long story) anyhow I have always been convinced that I cannot do math. I am in my second semester of developmental math, facing a third developmental math before I can even begin to take college algebra. I am miserable. I try so hard and just cannot do it. I am not stupid as evidenced by the fact that my gpa after 25 hours is 3.8, however, I am afraid I will never be able to do the math. I get frustrated, I cry I go to the learning center, I go on-line for tutoring, I ask the other students and I pay strict atteniton in class. I get home and completely freeze. I look at the page and all those lessons fly out the window. Anyhow, my hubby suggested that I try hypnotism to get over this hurdle. Any thoughts out there?

Thanks!

#18259 - 02/17/05 07:58 PM Re: Hypnotism
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
It certainly can't hurt anything. I've been hypnotized, years ago. I found it very enjoyable and relaxing. I loved it. But as far as helping you with math, I don't know. I have the same problem and mine was caused from an incident when I was young and something my father said and did. I was great in math until he said something that humiliated me. For some reason, my mind shut down in that area. Maybe you could go back and think of something that might have made you think this way?

#18260 - 02/18/05 09:39 PM Re: Hypnotism
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
mrsmuzz, i hope I'm not over stepping my boundaries but perhaps you have a specific learning disability. IF that's the case you may be able to get a different type of help from the learning center.

Another thought might be to ask the Director of the Math Department who might be the best teacher for you. Often times teahcers can make all the difference in the world. I have a friend who went to a different school for one class just so she could have a specific teacher.

Do you really need to grasp the math for the future, or do you just need it for the credit? Maybe if you don't really NEED it you can work on your psyche and not feel so blocked by it.

Have you tried a student tutor?

#18261 - 02/18/05 11:51 PM Re: Hypnotism
mrsmuzz Offline

Hi Dotsie,

So far, I have tried going to the learning center at two different campuses. They have both paid and student tutors there. I have worked with all of the tutors at least twice. I have gone in for extra lessons with two different math professors at each school I have attended. I feel like I have tried every other conceivable way to grasp the subject matter. I can "somewhat" do the problems if they are there to ask me the right questions, but when I get on my own and look at the paper I cannot recall how to get started, or finish. I feel foolish. I have also taken copious notes, tried the on-line tutoring from three different sources and consulted two different Algebra textbooks. I am very frustrated at this point and almost ready to give it up. I have to have this math course, plus two higher math courses to get the degree I am interested in. So, I either change the degree plan or figure it out. Pray for me.

#18262 - 02/19/05 06:28 AM Re: Hypnotism
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Mrs. Muzz,
I sure can empathize and sympathize with your plight. Math has never been my strong suit either. I got a 'mercy D' to pass caculus in college, (it was required for my major). I found that learning math was a challenge because it is a different language. I found that the older I got, the easier it got, but it was never easy. If you are having math majors explain it to you, they will always be speaking a language you don't understand. If you can find someone who's first language isn't math, but they are still good at it, it might help. When I would approach these problems, it would seem like the math majors were coming at it clockwise, and I was coming at it from counterclockwise. You get to the same answer, you just take a different route to get there. I sure would try hypnotism if there were a chance it would help. If nothing else, you would know that you tried everything you could; it might even take some of the stress off your mind; the stress and panic itself keeps you from learning as much as you can. You must be really frustrated. There are online sources as well. Homeschoolers have all kinds of math resources on line. Maybe one of those would be easier to understand. I can send you some links if you like. And I will pray for you. I know it's not easy.

#18263 - 02/19/05 06:32 AM Re: Hypnotism
Happy Birthday meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
This will probably not help, but I'm going to try.

Algebra is like music. Each equation/formula is a simple tune. Once you learn the tune, you can plug in any words/numbers you want, and the melody will take you to the end. Learn the melody/formula. It's a simple pattern, that's all.

If you think of beginning algebra as a symphony, then I see why you're getting hung up. It's a nursery rhyme, pure and simple. Don't over-analyze it. Just sing. Or play music in the background while you're learning it.

---from the woman who chose to major in art in college, because math was too easy and art seemed hard.

#18264 - 02/19/05 08:22 AM Re: Hypnotism
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
A while back when I began experiencing stage fright, I went to a hypnotist who specializes in performance enhancement for athletes.
He recommended several sessions which were more like intense relaxation. It was very intimate with soft lighting and music. I never felt out of control and remembered everything. The stage fright ended almost immediately.
After several sessions, as I was leaving the office, the hypnotist took my arm and tried to kiss me. Then he began to tell me he was in love with me. It frightened me. I somehow got out of there, but it broke my trust.
Needless to say that was the end of my hypnotism. I'm not sure I would do it again. I don't think I could trust anyone else with my sub-conscious.
smile

#18265 - 02/19/05 09:38 PM Re: Hypnotism
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I used a female hypnotist. How gross for that guy to do that to you. You must be a hot mamma!

Meredith, I loved your post. It's beautiful.

#18266 - 02/20/05 03:02 AM Re: Hypnotism
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
So that's what's wrong! I'm math tone deaf!! I knew there had to be a reason. All this time I thought it was that flat spot on the back of my head! And I've been blaming my mother for leaving me laying in the crib too long! Who knew?

#18267 - 02/20/05 07:24 AM Re: Hypnotism
mrsmuzz Offline

Meredith, I know what you mean about the over analyzing as my mind is extremely analytical. I tend to turn everything into that proverbial symphony and sometimes an ink blot is JUST an ink blot!! I am actually much better at the math word problems than anything else, because I can form a picture in my mind to solve. One person I consulted is an elementary math teacher and she is helpful and on a much more simple level. She says I am doing super. However, I still have no confidence in myself. At least that is what everyone I have consulted tells me.

The hypnotist I have consulted is a female. She plans to build my confidence, I guess sort of a phsyic cheerleader. She says if I believe in myself it will help. She says she makes an audio as well as video tape of the session. I am supposed to view the tape twice a day after the session. I am still thinking about it, just not sure if I will take the plunge. However, the suggestion coming from my hubby who is Mr. Traditional all the way still blows my mind. I always thought he was skeptical of any kind of alternate approaches! Shows what ya don't know even after 28 years!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved