The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 189 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#17534 - 11/16/03 03:54 PM The next step in the process of "re-doing" me...
Micki Offline

Loc: Linthicum, MD
I went to Johns Hopkins Bayview Thursday and met with a plastic surgeon ( Dr. Michele Shermak) for a consult to remove the fat and extra skin from my abdomen and thighs. She thinks I will qualify for the surgery with no problems and I will probably be scheduled for February or March. I never thought I would get to the point that I wanted this done, but I am at the place where I have lost so much weight that the pannicula (big word for the skin and fat that hangs down!!) is really bothering me. They will remove the overhang and make me a new bellybutton (told her not to bother--I don't need one anyway!!), and tuck the extra skin on my thighs up onto my pelvic bone somehow. It was rather demoralizing--she told me to take off my clothes and then proceeded to grab the pannicula in both hands and move it around all over the place---but, when it is gone, I actually have a shape now! She took tons of pictures from every angle and said there would be no problem getting the surgery approved because of the amount of excess skin and fat there. I am scared but yet excited. I still need to wear a 20 (down from a 8 or 9 X)in most things, but can get into 18's in the better lines. So, I will be in even smaller sizes soon!!

#17535 - 11/17/03 08:53 AM Re: The next step in the process of "re-doing" me...
garrie keyman Offline

Loc: Lititz, PA
Micki -- wow, what an amazing ordeal. But even more amazing is whatever you did to get yourself there! How did you lose weight? I've never heard of 8 or 9 X. And now you're into 18's? That's gotta be an incredible feeling.

GOOD FOR YOU.

It's gotta be a bit humiliating to go through what you're doing, but you're gonna feel beeter afterward, I bet. You are an inspiration.

They were talking about diets in another section of the forum. This is the first I saw your name. What was your route?

Quitting smoking -- losing weight -- moving out of hurtful relationships -- these are all highly charged and truly challenging experiences everyone is going through and it's wonderful you all have one another to share these trials with through these forums.

Thanks to Dotsie for starting it and to everyone for participating.

#17536 - 11/17/03 12:57 AM Re: The next step in the process of "re-doing" me...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Micki, that's fantastic! I didn't know they had deemed that kind of surgery for removing the overhang, medically necessary. I always figured they would badger me about my weight until I finally lost it, and then just leave me stuck with all the loose skin, that being "my fault" in the first place.

I already have a tremendous amount of it, and there will be much more of it for me as I hopefully lose the rest that I am able to lose. You're giving me a glimmer of hope that all might eventually be well with my appearance some day.

Bright Blessings,
Lil

#17537 - 11/17/03 01:13 AM Re: The next step in the process of "re-doing" me...
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Wow Micki, that's great! So glad you're progressing in your very healthful and positive "makeover".

#17538 - 11/17/03 02:41 AM Re: The next step in the process of "re-doing" me...
Micki Offline

I actually had gastric bypass surgery in April 2002 with Dr. Michael Schweitzer at Sinai (Baltimore). I had an open (as opposed to a lap like Carnie Wilson) surgery (a Roux-En-Y as opposed to an gastric band like Rosanne). I have lost about 240 pounds and am VERY happy. Several people made comments about what I was doing and said they thought I had a death wish, BUT if I had not had the surgery I would not be here today. Literally, I mean. I had steatohepatitis, which translates to "fatty liver". My liver was in bad shape, and the doctors told me that it would not have shown up until the liver failed, and then I would not have been a transplant candidate becuase of the weight. What a catch-22, huh? Anyway, the skin and fat left over are from the tremendous weight loss and they are in my way!! So, I am having it removed! Technically, the insurance company will cover it if it hangs down "past the pubis" or causes a rash or broken down skin where it touches the other areas of skin. Sometimes they can also cover the breasts because of that, so I guess I will take that one as it comes if I get this one done.

My surgery was something I did for me. It was covered by insurance and was VERY painful. I took a long time for recovery because I did not want to have a hernia or any other complications. My father moved in with me for 6 months and took care of me and my dogs and house. I would recommend it to anyone that is as miserable as I was (even thought I didn't know I was at the time). I am walking a lot, doing things that I could never have done before. I am so happy and the only regret I have is that my husband and my mother aren't here to enjoy the proceeds of it. I know they both are with me and are happy for me, but they are gone.

Thanks for the kind words and the encouragement. I will keep you apprised of the journey as it progresses...

#17539 - 11/22/03 06:24 PM Re: The next step in the process of "re-doing" me...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Micki, way to go girl! I think you're so brave.

I know Micki ladies and saw her recently. She is looking good! [Wink]

Hey, where is your picture for the forums Micki?

Our Dads were in Korea together and have remained wonderful friends. A couple Saturdays ago my dad, one of my sisters, Micki, her dad and I met for lunch. It was a mini reunion. Odd doing it without our moms, but fun. We're trying to carry on where our moms left off. [Razz]

#17540 - 11/22/03 11:37 PM Re: The next step in the process of "re-doing" me...
Micki Offline

Hey-- I was aaproved for the tummy and thigh work!! Dates will ne in February.....ouch!

#17541 - 11/23/03 07:54 PM Re: The next step in the process of "re-doing" me...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Yahoo! Make the most of the holiday season with all the goodies around! [Big Grin]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved