The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 199 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#167024 - 12/05/08 02:11 AM Recommendations for workout tape & bad knees?
justjoan Offline

Loc: West Michigan
In January of this year, I joined a Contours and was pretty good at going 3 - 4 times a week after work. Now that I'm not working, it is hard for me to get there. I used to LOVE step aerobics at home, but it kills my knees now. Does anyone know of a good exercise tape that works you out but is kind on the knees? Thanks!

#167079 - 12/05/08 09:28 PM Re: Recommendations for workout tape & bad knees? [Re: justjoan]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Not sure about what tape to get justjoan, but if you call your local library they might be able to recommend one.

I would advise though buying a small trampoline. You can then jump to your hearts content, bad knees or not, and the trampoline stops any and all jolting to the knee area and the back as well. You can't beat these small trampolines for protecting bad joints etc.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#167085 - 12/05/08 10:24 PM Re: Recommendations for workout tape & bad knees? [Re: chatty lady]
justjoan Offline

Loc: West Michigan
The library is a great idea! Also, after you mentioned it, it occurred to me I could rent some before I buy.

Trampoline sounds like fun, but I have other issues that would prohibit having both feet off the ground at the same time, lol! Sorry if its TMI, but I can't walk and sneeze at the same time!

#167167 - 12/07/08 08:20 PM Re: Recommendations for workout tape & bad knees? [Re: justjoan]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I actually think it's better to switch to exercise routine that combines yoga and pilates. Others know here, know me as a cyclist since you are "new".

Yoga /pilates can be a great workout since your core/abdominal muscle strengthening make your back stronger/less prone to sprains as well greater flexibility in your overall leg muscles for other exercises which might be more vigorous.

#170017 - 01/04/09 04:25 PM Re: Recommendations for workout tape & bad knees? [Re: orchid]
Lani Offline

Loc: Northern California, USA
Hi Joan,

When it comes to knees, you are wise to pay attention - there is a demand placed on our knees and they are really quite vulberable!

A couple of suggestions. First, there are some simple principles of alignment that you can put into ANY kind of activity - including walking - that will rebuild the knee joint stabilization. I was able to do this myself after years of running put a "tweak" in my knee and I had to stop. Now I can run again, if I so choose!

These specifics have to do with countering the effects of gravitational pull, which tends to pull the knees inward - pronation - which creates a whole cascade of other events. There is a workout that focuses specifically on knee alignment all the way through, called T-Tapp, and I have taught and practiced this with much success on knees.

As for the mini-trampoline, these can provide some wonderful movement but they can exaggerate the tendency for our knees to roll inward. The trampoline itself pitches to the center, and with each landing, well...you guessed it. Especially when barefoot.

I just wrote a lengthy article about knee rehab and you are welcome to write to me regarding same if you'd like it. It's too lengthy to just pop into a post here!

Thinking of you - and your knees!,
Lani

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved