The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 206 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#152387 - 07/01/08 01:28 PM midlife yoga?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I know some of you are doing yoga, either in classes or at home with a video. I've taken two sessions of classes in the past, but since my latest knee surgery, I haven't done another class. I think I'm ready to begin again.

We have a place within walking distance called Charm City Yoga. Here's a link to their site. It's pretty nice.

http://www.charmcityyoga.com/

If you take or took yoga, what have you found to be the best benefits? I can't wait to stretch!

#152388 - 07/01/08 06:19 PM Re: midlife yoga?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I do Tai Chi Dotsie and find the stretching softly, as the instructor calls it, a lot like yoga.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#152389 - 07/01/08 06:45 PM Re: midlife yoga? [Re: chatty lady]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Oh Yoga..Dotsie..don´t get me started! I LOVE it!!! And I do it at home daily..and it truely keeps me more moving..joints more elastic..and calms me down before going to bed. It really does keep the juices flowing..and the FLOW on the spiritual level,too.

I am sure that your yoga teacher..yogi..will help you find the right excercise levels for you..and even adaption of positions for your knee problems.

I can only highly recommend it! If you want to stretch..and then use your body as weights..it´s just the thing.

It has helped me sooo much..both physically and spiritually. And I am only self-taught.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!

#152390 - 07/02/08 12:42 AM Re: midlife yoga?
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
A good yoga teacher would never push a student too hard nor too fast. Presumably you would explain to the instructor at the start of course about your bum knee(s).

a good yoga teacher would also be quite concerned about you doing proper form in each movement and stance so that you don't injure yourself.

A sister of mine did have her own yoga centre with adult students for almost 2 years. She took up yoga after experiencing a seriously pulled shoulder/upper body muscles on rowing machine. So she took classes and practiced. This was when she was in her early 30's.

Knwoing a range of basic yoga exercises is excellent knowledge /skill..for life..because you can do them on your own and mix it up with other types of exercises. Onceyou know a few exercises that you like...you will do them again later on your own.

some of the exercises that I do are some simple yoga introductory moves..which I DIDN'T know it was yoga until I read up on some exercises. It's combined with simple pilates that I do and some tai chi warm-ups. So I just borrow here and there for a 1/2 hr. floor exercise sequence for stretching and balance.

#152391 - 07/05/08 08:09 PM Re: midlife yoga? [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
humlan, do you use any tapes? Can you recommend one?

orchid, do you stretch before biking? Whenever I see women biking, I think of you becasue I know how much you love it.

#152392 - 07/23/08 03:01 PM Re: midlife yoga?
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Dotsie,

I've taken a couple of basic yoga classes at the gym that I recently joined. I love the stretching...feels so good! I won't be able to make any more of the basic classes due to schedule this fall...so I hope I can keep up with the regular class which is on Saturday mornings.

I have a book "Yoga for Wimps" that has some easy and modified poses for beginners. Lots of good pictures.

#152393 - 07/23/08 09:09 PM Re: midlife yoga? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Dotsie, take a class. Please, take a class. There are ton's of cheap ones out there to show you the right way for each pose.

I also use the on demand exercise channel - if you have cable you probably have a channel like that.

What do I love? The stretching, the flexibility and the strength training. The commaradre of women working together without any judgement and accepting each other where they are at and where they are going. Balance training.

It's the only exercise that I have done that really works it all.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#152394 - 07/23/08 10:07 PM Re: midlife yoga? [Re: Anno]
Lani Offline

Loc: Northern California, USA
Hey Dotsie,

I love yoga, as a matter of fact it was the first thing I taught in fitness (lo those many years ago!) and I still teach classes on occasion.

My approach is hatha based an very, very gentle - lots of stretch, breathe, recover, extend, push the edge a little on strength and elongationa....and then I always finish with 10 or so minutes of guided relaxation, our favorite part!

I would like you to know that as I've gained more expertise in rehabilitative effects of exercise, my yoga has become influence by same. Here are a couple of tips, whatever type of yoga you decide to proceed with:

1) keep a soft knee (in other words, slightly bent) in standing positions

2) keep the feet in parallel, as if you are on skiis - this along with a soft knee helps rebuild and protect the knee joint.

3) keep a slight tuck of the tail while standing, and pay attention that your knees do not pronate, or roll in, to the midline of the body. As a matter of fact, after you bend and have a slight tuck, press the knees gently out toward the little toe - this is known as "KLT" in T-Tapp and is DIRECTLY from knee rehab. You can totally rebuild your knee joint with this little move, and it has allowed me to take up moderate running again - after having to quit before the rehab!

Hope this helps, and let us know what you come up with!

Lani

#167686 - 12/15/08 03:08 AM Re: midlife yoga? [Re: Dotsie]
CalicoKate Offline

Loc: Colorado
Dotsie, I hope I'm not too late with this (just joined yesterday) but I have a DVD called "Essential Yoga for Inflexible People" that I bought on Amazon that might be what you are looking for. It is for absolute beginner students that allow you to progress at your own pace.

I just recently bought it and haven't actually used it yet, but it might be just what you are looking for. blush

- If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

#167699 - 12/15/08 12:03 PM Re: midlife yoga? [Re: CalicoKate]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Dots,
I don't know about Charm City yoga, but Greater Baltimore Yoga Center in Timonium is super. The founder is a physical therapist to boot. One of the instructors has had injuries of every sort -- there are women there with neck, back and knee injuries, and the instructor is very aware of the sorts of accommodations they need since she has had them too, and knows all kinds of ways to the the exercises that make them feel better. This fall I had neck and back pain following a very grueling trip to Chicago, and she had me feeling better pretty quickly.

You really need to go to a yoga center, not a gym, to get the most from yoga. I've done both -- I started with "Lilias, Yoga and You" on TV in 1976 -- anyone remember her? But you need a teacher to make sure you're getting all the benefits -- and not hurting yourself -- by doing it correctly. And the yoga teachers at the gym seem more intested in doing something quickly, rather than correctly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved