The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 209 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#149857 - 06/01/08 07:00 PM Anyone here a vegan?
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
My 16-yr old son just informed me that he is going vegan and wants me to buy him new shoes, new belt, new shampoo, and the list goes on! The only vegetable he eats is corn on the cob, and he's never had the pleasure of tasting soy. Arrgh.

Anyone here vegan and know the best places to purchase items that do not harm animals? The kid is going to have to foot part of the bill if he wants to make this committment.

Thanks!
Kathy

#149858 - 06/01/08 08:05 PM Re: Anyone here a vegan? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I'm not vegan, but I don't eat meat or buy products that are tested on animals etc. Trader Joe's might have some items, but your best bet is to see if there is a food co-operative in your area. There are several in So Cal. They would have all the vegan items.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#149859 - 06/01/08 10:18 PM Re: Anyone here a vegan? [Re: yonuh]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Thanks Yonuh. I'm in a rural area about 25 miles from anything, so it's not as convenient to do this. I think the food isn't a problem, it's the expense of the new items he wants and the hassle I have to go through to get it, to support his new lifestyle. And right this minute I'm really ticked at him (he's 16, ok? that should be enough of an explanation) so this isn't sitting well.

I'll check the co-op thing - thanks.

#149860 - 06/01/08 10:28 PM Re: Anyone here a vegan? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

My 16-yr old son just informed me that he is going vegan and wants me to buy him new shoes, new belt, new shampoo, and the list goes on! The only vegetable he eats is corn on the cob, and he's never had the pleasure of tasting soy. Arrgh.

Anyone here vegan and know the best places to purchase items that do not harm animals? The kid is going to have to foot part of the bill if he wants to make this committment.

Thanks!
Kathy

No I am not vegetarian, much less vegan. probably will always have abit of meat in my diet.

The type of shoes he should consider would be vinyl, faux leather, etc. I think alot of running shoes have more textiles and plastics these days. actually non-leather goods, might save him some money. He could consider Walmart now.

I don't know about shampoo..but alot of it is now chemicals and not tested on animals.

As for diet change,vegan is a serious committment. He should start making ...salad /peel veggies. One of my sisters and her hubby raised their kids for lst 8-9 years of their lives as vegetarian. My sister was vegan for lst 2 years.

Who knows, maybe your son, getting off meat commpletely cold turkey might be the best way for him to start. He should start scoping great recipes to try. These magazines have websites:

1. vegetarian life
2. eating well
3. cooking light

I highly recommend all 3 for anyone anytime. I've bought issues from magazine stand for all three.

Is your son accustomed to eating innovative ethnic cuisine...because becoming vegan ..requires diversifying your taste palate..Does he like spicy food, food with lots of fresh herbs?

Methinks the diet change is the hardest of all.

#149861 - 06/01/08 10:40 PM Re: Anyone here a vegan? [Re: orchid]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Well, you might try: www.veganstore.com
if you'd like? That's all I know about the subject!
Prayers and blessings,
Wild Bill & jabber

#149862 - 06/02/08 10:33 AM Re: Anyone here a vegan? [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
DD, before I bought him all news stuff, I would make sure he sticks to the food habits first. After doing that for a month, ten I'd consider all the other purchases. I think it's a tough change and maybe he won't like it?

#149863 - 06/02/08 02:27 PM Re: Anyone here a vegan?
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Dancing Dolphin, I hear your pain! It reminds me of my (now 33) daughter who announced the same thing at about your son's age. Personally, I told her that she can try but she should educate herself on this. She had a job so had to buy her own particular things and I filled in with the veggies and fruits. It was a phase and she seemed to get over it in time and has never gone back. Things like this intrigue kids and they want to try to do this or that but as has been said, the diet change is a challenge.

#149864 - 06/02/08 05:35 PM Re: Anyone here a vegan? [Re: ladyjane]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Dotsie, good idea about making sure he'll stick to the food before I buy the other stuff. He's been researching everything pretty thoroughly, but he is one to start something and then 3 months later change his mind. Two years ago he wanted to be a priest, and now he's agnostic!

He's been vegetarian for about 2 months now, guess why he started? His girlfriend is vegetarian. We are meat eaters here, so this is new to me. I support what he wants to do, just trying to be practical.

Thanks for all your info everyone!
K

#149865 - 06/03/08 05:12 AM Re: Anyone here a vegan? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

Dotsie, good idea about making sure he'll stick to the food before I buy the other stuff. He's been researching everything pretty thoroughly, but he is one to start something and then 3 months later change his mind. Two years ago he wanted to be a priest, and now he's agnostic!

He's been vegetarian for about 2 months now, guess why he started? His girlfriend is vegetarian. We are meat eaters here, so this is new to me. I support what he wants to do, just trying to be practical.

Thanks for all your info everyone!
K

Let us know in a few months on son's progress. It IS progress to healthier diet...to eat less meat at least...for life. This might be the end result for him in a decade.

My partner's daughter went through this when she was around 15. The good thing ...was that she voluntarily started to prepare some of her own food for meals..

She is no longer vegetarian...I actually think she's overly picky eater over a wide range of veggies. (She's 30 now.) But she will be satisfied on just small amounts of meat now, seafood and chicken. Yes, she consumes tofu without thinking.

#149866 - 06/03/08 10:17 AM Re: Anyone here a vegan? [Re: orchid]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Kathy, He can also google PETA, they know who carries 'ALL' the products that are not related to animals in any way. They also have in their own magazine with tons of recipes, good ones too, I've tried many of them myself. They also offer books and other sorts of information for getting started going vegan. I believe they counsel people to try it for at least '90' days BEFORE going off half cocked and buying a bunch of stuff that you may never use. Making him work to buy his own products is a great way to test his resolve as well...

Edited by chatty lady (06/03/08 10:22 AM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved