The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 112 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#110855 - 03/11/07 05:23 PM Chick -swimming, cycling
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Chickadee:
You asked me if I don't want to/can't swim? (under swimsuit topic). Let's just say I haven't been motivated at all. And I've lived in buildings that have a shared swimming pool! My partner is a basic swimmer so he's not a good person to teach me how to swim...but great to improve my cycling at beginning.

As for your/anyone else's possible interest getting back on bike, take your time. And make sure your bike fits you. Your muscles will feel abit sore lst few times.

And you go girl! Tell me more later...

Here's a story down here:

A woman (who is rheumatic in the hands and pelvis) comes to my shop for a new bicycle. She needs light shifting gears and brakes because she doesn't have much strength in her hands. She also told me she only rides up to 80 miles a year. I have a bike with 24 gears and hydraulic rim brakes, front- and saddlepost suspension which I think would be good for her. When she makes a test ride I notice something about her but can't quite put my finger on it. When she comes back she tells me she wants a few minor adjustments. First I put the handlebars and levers in a more comfortable position for her and she tries again. On her return I see that one hand is higher than the other. I ask her about it and she tells me she never noticed that before. I take an old handlebar (same size/model) from the bin and install it on the new bike. With a bending iron I brutally adjust that handlebar for her. I install the brake and shifting levers on the old handlebar and let her try again. After seven (!) times I have the bend right but she complains about a sore thigh. I place the saddle off-center to compensate for it. When I look at her as she rides for the twelfth time I notice that one side of her pelvis doesn't touch the saddle. The saddle undergoes the same thing as the handlebars, and after about 4 1/2 hours (!!) the bicycle is adjusted to her. That evening, I take off the scrap handlebar and saddle and bend the new items the same way. The next evening she picks up the bike and I make a few last minor changes. She gave me a big tip for the time I spent at it and a few months later I got a postcard from her saying "Greetings from Rome". She rode with her husband on her bike to Rome, about 3400km / 2100miles!

http://www.rivbike.com/how_to_pick_your_bike/our_approach_to_fit_sizing_and_riding_position This article is the least technical.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/BikeFit/index.cfm

#110856 - 03/12/07 09:21 PM Re: Chick -swimming, cycling [Re: orchid]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
WOW, no kidding. I get tired going five miles to the store, LOL. How proud she must be and how kind and thoughtful of her to send you a postcard. I really admire thoughtful people, like YOU Orchid, for going that extra mile for her...Bless your heart!

Edited by chatty lady (03/12/07 09:23 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#110857 - 03/12/07 09:28 PM Re: Chick -swimming, cycling [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Orchid, that is so cool. Had you not gotten her all set up, she may never had done this. You should feel proud.

This resort in Florida has all kinds of bikes for the guests so yesterday we took off to check out the whole resort by bike. It's the first time I've been on a bike in ages. It felt great. Now I have to tell you, it's totally flat. That could be why I loved it. Anyway, I thought of you and your cycling while I was leasurely pedaling my way around gardens, lakes, and a gold course.

#110858 - 03/12/07 09:28 PM Re: Chick -swimming, cycling
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Great typo. That should be golf course! I wish it was a gold course.

#110859 - 03/13/07 03:25 AM Re: Chick -swimming, cycling [Re: orchid]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Hey, I want to stress here ....I wasn't the person set up this person on her bike. It was a bike mechanic's story..from somewhere in the U.S.

And who cares if you are cycling on flats? Just as long as you're enjoying it.

If I meet up with any of you gals in my city, I can loan a bike and we go for a ride...there's a 20 kms. bike path at the foot of our building. We'll go by the ocean..on the way..

#110860 - 03/13/07 01:06 PM Re: Chick -swimming, cycling [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Ding dong....tee hee...

Don't forget the rope , so you can pull me....

#110861 - 03/15/07 08:41 PM Re: Chick -swimming, cycling [Re: Edelweiss]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I am going to go on a fishing trip soon but when I get back I'm going shopping for a bicycle that fits. Thanks orchid. I'll probably be asking more questions when the time comes.
Hannelore, I have a little red wagon that my Dad made me(when I was almost 50). I could pull you around in that.

chick

#110862 - 03/15/07 08:51 PM Re: Chick -swimming, cycling [Re: chickadee]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
A wittle wed wagon? Ah goody? Excuse me...oh goody!

Should I bring my little red emergency bag with all the colorful bandades in it, Chick? I'll dress up as nurse and patch up your scraped knees and elbows. I'll also make sure to leave a trail of iodine behind, so that we can find our way back. tee hee.

#110863 - 03/15/07 10:01 PM Re: Chick -swimming, cycling [Re: Edelweiss]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Iodine!
That stuff smarts!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved