The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 156 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#96693 - 11/28/06 02:29 AM Eat less---exercise more?
bamgibbs Offline

Loc: Durham, NC
Those in their 50s and 60s who want to lose weight might consider heading to the cardio workout room instead of counting calories, suggests new research out this month.

“Exercise-induced weight loss provides the additional benefit of improving physical performance capacity,” says Edward Weiss, Ph.D., lead author and assistant professor of nutrition and dietetics at Saint Louis University’s Doisy College of Health Sciences.

“If push comes to shove and somebody wants to know if they should diet or exercise to lose weight, I would suggest exercise, provided they are willing to put in the extra time and effort and not offset the gains they make by eating more.”

Weiss is a part of a Washington University team of scientists who studied healthy 50- to 60-year olds whose body mass index was between 23 and 30, placing them at the high end of normal weight or overweight.

The goal of dieters was to reduce their calorie consumption by 16 percent the first three months, and by 20 percent the next nine. Likewise, exercisers strove to burn 16 percent more calories the first three months, increasing to 20 percent the next nine months.

Both groups lost between 9 and 10 percent of their total body weight. Those who exercised engaged in 60 minutes of cardiovascular activity six times a week, such as a brisk three- to four-mile walk. Those exercisers who worked out for 90 minutes a day took off more pounds – 15 to 20 percent of their body weight.

Those who dieted lost muscle mass while those who exercised did not. This is because exercisers routinely challenged their muscles, which prevented muscle tissue from degrading. Dieters didn’t work their muscles as vigorously as those who exercised.

“In addition, once a person loses weight, his or her muscles don't have to work as hard at everyday movements, such as rising from a chair, walking up steps or getting out of a car,” Weiss says.

“Because they're carrying a lighter load, less demand is placed on them.”

The muscles dieters use to carry their bodies “detrain,” in much the same way that a weight lifter using less weight in the gym doesn’t develop as large of muscles as one who uses heavier weights.

Weiss was careful not to rule out the benefits of dieting, though.

“It’s important that dieting not be seen as a bad thing because it provides enormous benefits with respect to reducing the risk of disease and is effective for weight loss,” Weiss says. “Furthermore, based on studies in rodents, there is a real possibility that calorie restriction provides benefits that cannot be achieved through exercise-induced weight loss.”

In addition, those who exercise may be under the mistaken impression that they can eat more and still lose weight.

“A critical requirement for exercise-induced weight loss is that food intake does not increase,” he says.

Peace & Blessings,
Beverly Mahone
Author, Whatever! A Baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age
http://www.talk2bev.com

“I’m not a writer because I wrote a book. I wrote a book because I was inspired by God.”

#96694 - 11/30/06 09:31 AM Re: Eat less---exercise more? [Re: bamgibbs]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I got tired just reading this post about exercise, geesh!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#96695 - 11/30/06 07:50 PM Re: Eat less---exercise more? [Re: chatty lady]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
The secret to losing weight that isn't really a secret. Increase your activity and decrease your food intake.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#96696 - 11/30/06 08:02 PM Re: Eat less---exercise more? [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
But, if you decrease food intake and increase activity, what exactly would the body be using to fuel that energy? Eating sensibly and not grazing too much in-between would perhaps be more helpful.

#96697 - 11/30/06 08:26 PM Re: Eat less---exercise more? [Re: Lola]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
It is hard for me to do around the holidays....eat less. I am in my cookie and candy making mode now. And of course, quality control testing has got to done during that process....right? But....I do try and walk a little longer, and more during this time of year if the weather permits.

#96698 - 11/30/06 08:33 PM Re: Eat less---exercise more? [Re: Cookie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
You don't actually decrease the food intake, you eat smaller meals more often (graze) and remember I am 43 pounds lighter today doing just that. I haven't inceased my exercise at all but if I had I would of probably lost even more.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#96699 - 11/30/06 08:49 PM Re: Eat less---exercise more? [Re: chatty lady]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Smaller meals which sums up to the daily calorie count, Chatty? Can you fill me in more on this? I eat a light breakfast, one full balanced meal a day (lunch) and a snack. I walk 5-miles a day and 10 on the weekends, 30- minute tai chi in the A.M. I am happy with my weight now but I'd like to be able to maintain it.

#96700 - 12/01/06 07:58 AM Re: Eat less---exercise more? [Re: Lola]
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
My doctor told me that losing weight is 80% diet. I believe it. I worked out every day for six months and didn't lose a pound. I did 30 minutes on the treadmill and also walked my dog for 30 minutes every night. My down fall, I'm a carb addict. She said take a look at people who have gastric bypass surgery. They can't eat very much and lose weight rapidly because they take in very few calories.
I only started losing when I stayed away from the bad carbs, anything white (flour, sugar, pasta etc) and when I started lifting weights. I don't just lift light weights. I keep increasing the amount and do a variety of free weights plus work out on the equipment at the gym. I break into a sweat while weight training and keep my heart rate up so I'm burning fat and building muscle. I do weight training three days a week and cardio 3 days a week. It's important to mix it up so your body doesn't get used to any one exercise. Simple answer as above, eat less and exercise more.
Kath

#96701 - 12/04/06 02:08 AM Re: Eat less---exercise more? [Re: katebcca]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I would like to know if studies have been done that show an increase in WORK production, OR specifically SALES in relation to losing weight, exercising, and feeling better.

In other words, can losing weight by cutting your calorie intake and exercising be linked to increased sales? I'm serious. People have hinted to me that this is a real thing. Somebody enlighten me...k?

#96702 - 12/04/06 02:54 AM Re: Eat less---exercise more? [Re: jawjaw]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Okay, JJ, here you go:

My brother is working on a new health model (kind of like the food pyramid) that shows how just about EVERYTHING in your life is connected in some way.

There are seven segments: Emotional, Financial, Spiritual, Intellectual, Environmental, Physical and Nutritional.

For example, if you eat right (nutritional) it will affect your emotions, you'll be able to think better (intellectual), which can affect your Financial because you can work better, and so on and so on.

He's presented at a couple of medical conferences and is writing up a paper for the Journal of Medicine. Dotsie, this is the brother that lives near you in Maryland.

Here's his website:

http://integrallifesolutions.com/index.html

He'd also like to do a book on it, but wants that scientific recognition first.

Kathy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved