The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 102 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#17193 - 01/20/06 11:39 PM More diet books
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I love books so I am forever looking at the book store catalogs. I couldn't help but notice more diet books on the market. Every year brings a few more.

The new ones for this year are The Sonoma Diet:Trimmer waist; better health in just 10 days. How do you like that subtitle? Think it's true?

Another is:

The Abs Diet: Get Fit, Stay Fit Plan. This one promises an exercise program to flatten your belly, reshape your body, and give you abs for life. Don't you love it?

And yet another:

The Flavor Point Diet: The Delicious Breakthrough Plan to Turn Off Your Hunger and Lose the Weight for Good.

So, whicih one are you going to try?

Me? I'm sticking with my walking routine, smaller portions, and less carbs. At least for now...

Now there's the South Beach Diet Dining Guide. It's a reference guide for restautants across America.

#17194 - 01/21/06 10:25 AM Re: More diet books
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
I'm staying with The South Beach Diet...but I really think of it as a lifestyle now...and like you Dotsie...daily walks...not only good for the body...but great for the soul as well...I always feel calm and optimistic after walking ..

I must confess though...I check out every new diet that surfaces...maybe simply to reassure myself that I'm doing all that I can to maintain and prolong my good health...I really would like to read about The Sonoma Diet...it seems thats the one "everyone" is talking about this year!!

#17195 - 01/22/06 04:19 AM Re: More diet books
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
AvalonBlondi I was in the store the other evening and surprised to see the selection of South Beach diet food choices. My goodness there must have been 30 different things and all not to high in price.....Heres a new one for you. I watched the first Nutri System diet porogram on QVC the other evening and for one hour they showed the different foods and spoke to many people trying the plan and having great success. They EMPHASIZED over and over that if you are Diabetic just tell them when ordering and you would be sent different but equally good food choices. The entire plan cost $184.50 plus $11.72 shipping. THis was the 5 day meal plan for one month, auto delvery to your door monthly. So I called right? Well it seems this is a bait and swith operation and both QVC and Nutri System told me in order to get the special food I had to go on the 7 day a week plan, for a month, auto delivery and that cost $289.00 month. I was on the phone for an hour being transferred back and forth between the two companies and told the same thing. I t seems even thought this was on TV no one at eiter comopany knew a thing about anything, strange but true. So did I order the food, hell no I didn't. I don't care for being cheated no matter how good the food is. That was a $92.00 difference they were trying to push onto me. Am I being unreasonable or am I bein wise. I've seen Nutri System a couple dozen times and they always say they will even send info to a doctor for you if your Diabetic...Bait & Switch...think theres a law against that.

[ January 21, 2006, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#17196 - 01/22/06 10:29 AM Re: More diet books
AvalonBlondi Offline

Chatty..of course you are being WISE...for one thing..you are a fabulous cook..I don't think what Nutri System describes as "delicious and nutritious" could come anywhere close to pleasing your palate..There are so many healthy diet choices now...with varied menus to please almost everyone..The South Beach Diet is the one I chose..and I had success and love the food choices..so it was fairly easy for me to stick with it..I bought the South Beach Diet Cookbook once I reached phase 2 of the diet and found so many great recipes and I had a ball trying them all..my husband dropped 22 pounds before he even realized that he was dieting!!!..what a riot!!..I think I'm like you in that I love to cook and try new recipes...and the SBD has very interesting recipes ...to be honest...after I passed Phase 1 of the diet..which only lasts 2 weeks...I have never felt hungry or deprived...they even have suggestions of what to order in restaurants...my friends never suspected I was dieting...because you can even have a glass or 2 of wine with dinner..I used to hate it when I was on other diets and we'd go out and I'd pass on wine, pass on dessert and everyone would feel guilty eating it in front of me...not with this diet...so I'm happy that I went ahead and tried it...

But back to QVC...if I were you...I'd send a written complaint to the president of the company and tell him that you feel that you were totally
misled by their program...and feel that they were using the old "Bait & Switch"...I'm a big "letter writer" when I feel that I haven't gotten the satisfaction I feel I deserve...you'd be surprised by the positive responses I've received over the years from different companies...The Corporate execs are generally appalled to hear fom a disastified customer...I'm so sorry that you had to waste a precious hour of your time on the phone to no avail...when you could have been on here posting to us...that really stinks!!!

#17197 - 01/23/06 02:45 AM Re: More diet books
ladybug Offline

Just sticking to my vegetarian diet and daily 7 mile walk. I've been a vegetarian for 11 years in April. Feeling great and keeping weight down without starvation.

Do whatever works for you.

#17198 - 01/23/06 03:15 AM Re: More diet books
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I'm just trying to increase my excercise.

#17199 - 01/23/06 05:52 AM Re: More diet books
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Oh believe me a letter was fired out the next day to bith the execs at QVC and Nutri Systems. My friends come to me to help them or to compose complaint letters for them from time to time so I am pretty good in that department. I am also going to check out South Beach foods again. The problem with my cooking foods for myself is the portions, I have a problem cooking small portions. I use to take food to my neighbor too and that worked out well but she passed away. Thanks for the answers, all of you...

#17200 - 01/23/06 07:53 AM Re: More diet books
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Dotsie and Chatty,

Have you considered the Weight Watchers cookbook ? That is one cookbook that I have to buy . I think they show you how to measure out the portions of food to eat . Also, they have a web site that I have printed off recipe for dinner menu and they are so good and desserts you can make . Just some thought on this .

#17201 - 01/23/06 09:48 AM Re: More diet books
AvalonBlondi Offline

Chatty, what was i thinking? Of course you sent a letter to QVC already...I'll be anxious to see if they do anything for you...

South Beach did put out frozen dinners...I have seen them in my supermarket...but don't know how good they are...if you do try them I'd love to hear what you think...

#17202 - 01/23/06 01:44 PM Re: More diet books
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Chatty, what about getting a set of freezer dishes in the sizes of portions you need? That way you can cook a big batch of something, and then divide it into X # of freezer portions. Of course, eat portion #1 fresh-cooked, but freeze the rest before you even sit down to eat; otherwise it's too tempting to eat all of it.

That would be better than NutriSystem anyhow. I'm sure you're a better cook, and you know enough about nutrition to make your own "perfect" meals. [Smile] [Smile]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved