The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#15842 - 02/28/03 03:06 AM Atkins Diet Question
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
My husband is thinking about doing the Atkins Diet as a way to help with his blood sugar, cholesterol, and to loose weight. In case you don't know, he was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I know nillawafer will latch on to this topic, but I was curious if anyone else on the forum knew anything about the Atkins diet and how healthy it is, and maybe what to look out for when it comes to health concerns. Also, what I would have to change about what I buy at the grocery store or the meals I prepare.

[ February 27, 2003, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Candice Johnson ]

#15843 - 02/28/03 05:45 PM Re: Atkins Diet Question
countrygirl51 Offline

Loc: Clifton, Ks. USA
My husband has been on the Atkins diet for a couple of years now. He has lost weight quickly on it, but it is a hard diet to maintain because of the carbohydrate cravings that he sometimes has. He buys low carb candy bars and shakes to satisfy those cravings. He has a history of hypertension and high cholesterol and takes medications for that, but when he loses the weight on the Atkins diet, he often can cut back on his dosages of the medications.
Doctors once poo-pooed the diet, saying it is not safe, but as time goes on, people are losing weight and becoming more healthy than they were before, doctors now are changing their minds about the diet. In fact, some cardiologists are ordering the diet for their patients.
As for what to shop for, eggs, meats, cheeses and some nuts, lettuce salad seem to be the main items approved on the diet. Watch the carbs in every label. When you first start the diet, 20 gms of carbohydrates per day is all you are allowed. Fat content does not matter much, however, I think I would try to watch that whenever possible. Some low fat food items have more carbs than the regular items...in this case go ahead with the higher fat content.
Vegetables often contain a lot of carbs, green beans are low carb, as well as some of the other green vegetables. Corn and yellow vegetables have the most carbs. Avoid these.
You may find that you will need to take an over the counter stool softener to keep your digestive system regular. Or drink Metamucil, take a fiber pill, etc.
The best thing to do is buy the Atkins diet paperback available in most Walmarts and bookstores and read it. It will answer your questions. There are also message board groups available that you can utilize as support groups while on this diet.
The thing to remember is that this is a lifetime commitment to this diet. You cannot lose the weight and go off the diet and expect to stay slim. You will start to regain the weight as soon as you leave the diet behind. You can take a diet holiday occasionally, for special occasions, but you must immediately return to the diet to keep the weight off.
I'll be glad to answer any questions I can for you. Just let me know.
Dixie

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved