The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 102 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#125921 - 08/17/07 03:52 PM Anyone Belly Dance?
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I've been seeing where Belly Dancing is really good exercise and can also have benefits in the bedroom (after lots of practice, that is)....I was wondering if any of you ladies have/do belly dance(d) and would you suggest it? Okay...I can't wait for JJ's response to this one...

#125922 - 08/17/07 10:02 PM Re: Anyone Belly Dance? [Re: Dee]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Well all I know is that before my weight loss, my belly danced whether I was dancing or not. It seemed to have a mind of its own, geesh!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#125923 - 08/17/07 10:05 PM Re: Anyone Belly Dance? [Re: chatty lady]
Dee Offline

Yeah, mine does that now...it's depressing.

#125924 - 08/18/07 12:43 PM Re: Anyone Belly Dance? [Re: Dee]
mrs_madness Offline

Loc: Moscow
Me! well, sort of.....

I've taken belly dance class twice in the last couple of years, maybe a total of 20 classes. The really fun part is getting that cute swishy spangly belly dance outfit.

Would you be surprised if I said it's not as easy as it looks? Or that I wasn't very good at it? I really did enjoy the classes but I had a terrible time remembering the moves and which order we did the steps. I'm really not a dancer, I was always 2 moves behind.

I do think it gave me a hint of grace which I never had before, I like that. It was exercise and fun all at the same time and I liked the music. But I gotta admit I was totally disheartened (I am pretty hard on myself) watching all the cute young girls in there, with their tiny little waists and perky breasts and their graceful legs, and I felt like a hippo in a pink tutu. It took a lot of guts for me to keep showing up for those lessons twice a week. But every time I went I was always glad I did.

Give it a try. It's fun.

#125925 - 08/18/07 12:49 PM Re: Anyone Belly Dance? [Re: mrs_madness]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Ms Madness has just given all the reasons I would NOT try it. Big waist, sagging breast, fluffy legs...I think not.

Besides, the only activity my bedroom sees is when I fly up out of a dead sleep and holler "Who's there?! Who's there?!" Only to find out it was me, snoring.

I'll pass....uh, come to think of it, that's the other thing that can wake one up out of a dead sleep...PeeeeeUUUU....teehee. What? Okay, okay...I'll quit.

#125926 - 08/18/07 07:56 PM Re: Anyone Belly Dance? [Re: Dee]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Have never tried belly dancing. I know I have a lousy sense of rhythm...just because I'm a lousy dancer in general.

But that would be impressive if a Boomerforum woman here got into bellydancing often...or how about some of those booty shakin' dances from the Caribbean islands. Now that is hot stuff!

I'm terribly impressed just how some of those dances you can swivel and shake those hips at high speed to the harder, faster music beats. Just incredible. It gives me a stomach sidestitch just to watch. Now that...is a good fitness dance...

So Dee think Jamacaian good time instead, be in Barbados...or Trinidad in the mind. And move those hips.

I do know of a woman who is into flamenco dancing regularily. No she's 1 generation younger than us...and not Latino. Yes, it keeps her fit and destressed. YOu can tell just by looking at her.

I had staff member (a librarian) who was taking 3 different types of classes weekly --hip-hop, ballet and tap. She was in her late 20's. I suspect she will still be carrying on at least 1 of these dances into her older years. Yes, she is fit.

Edited by orchid (08/18/07 08:00 PM)

#125927 - 08/19/07 11:23 AM Re: Anyone Belly Dance? [Re: orchid]
Dee Offline

JJ you always crack me up...you always leave a visual...you're a hoot girlfriend.

Orchid, the reason I brought up belly dancing is my myspace page. I found a piece of music that I put to it and it's the first song and everytime I meander over to myspace and hear it I can't help but want to wiggle my hips (I should put this in my bedroom...my husband would be so pleased). :0
Anyway, I danced a lot growing up...the twist, watusi, hully gully, jerk, mashed potato...egads am I old or what??? My dad was a radio announcer and when I'd visit him at work he'd teach me to dance while the records were playing. He taught me to waltz, the swing, jitter bug...Very cool when you're ten year old.

Orchid, I'll look for some Jamacaian/barbados/trinidad stuff and see where it leads me. I live in a very small town in Alabama so I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a hard time finding any of that stuff down here. But, I'll keep looking.

Miss Madness...good on you for going anyway despite how you feel. I admire your courage. I watched the belly dancing lessons on the exercise channel and the young ones are intimidating...I tried the Indian dance exercise class once and ended up on the floor gasping like a fish out of water.

#125928 - 08/19/07 12:59 PM Re: Anyone Belly Dance? [Re: Dee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Miss Madness, I am so proud of you for doing this even though you felt uncomfortable at times. For the most part, you had fun, and that's what it's all about. Very cool.

Another type of dancing that is being advertised here is pole dancing. Honnst. Now I think that's taking it a bit too far, however, I did ask my Girls Night Out gals if they wanted to take a lesson one night for fun, but the answer was no. I tried.

#125929 - 08/19/07 01:03 PM Re: Anyone Belly Dance?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
http://bodytalkllc.com/index.html

They even have online classes.

#125930 - 08/19/07 01:26 PM Re: Anyone Belly Dance?
Dee Offline

Dotsie...We want pictures of you taking pole dance lessons...I think it's cool that you even considered the idea...I hear it's really, really, really good exercise...however, knowing me I'd slip and whack something that shouldn't be whacked and then be laid up for quite some time. OUCH!! Or my back would lock up while I'm in a really weird position. I can hear the medics laughing now.

I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole...Batta Batta Bing...Okay...I just had to say that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved