The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 204 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#159866 - 09/14/08 11:54 PM Singing "Edelweiss"- before death
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
My partner's mother died last night at the nursing home. She was 93.

She immigrated from Canada just after WWII. My partner, was 7 yrs. old when he immigrated at same time.

He found out from the nurses that before she went to bed last night, she and few other nursing home residents, happily sang "Edelweiss", the song from the "Sound of Music". Appropriate, because it is a song of memory (of Germany), longing, love and renewal in a new country since the von Trapp family immigrated to the U.S.

A few hrs. after we found out about the news of her death, we cycled over to a popular French bakery and each had lovely French fruit gourmet tart ..in her memory.

She was an accomplished baker and cook which everyone who knew her skills talks about. My partner's boyhood is of his mother's 1-3 multi-layered tortes or kuchens for every Sunday meals... Mocha ganache filling, hazelnut crumb, handmade marizpan, ..she could make puff pastry..from scratch. Not even many Iron Chefs can do this sort of thing. It's a lost art. Baking and cooking was her creative outlet and she was happiest creating in this way.

Ironically she was visited by her German relatives just last week in their trip to western Canada. In her mild dementia, she kept wanting to show her "home" and offer refreshments.

She died peacefully and was actually quite active and social the day before. Yesterday and today it has been beautifully sunny and summer-like.

#159867 - 09/15/08 12:16 AM Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death [Re: orchid]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I'm sorry for your loss, Orchid. It does sound like the most peaceful way to go, though, doesn't it? Living to a ripe old age, having the ability to still be a little active and social to the end, and only mild dementia.

Sounds like you/your partner have some wonderful memories.

K

#159868 - 09/15/08 12:34 AM Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I too am sorry for your loss, Orchid. Thank you for giving us a glimpse into the life of this multi-talented woman. God rest her soul.

#159869 - 09/15/08 01:50 AM Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
She sounds like a beautiful, heart-lifting woman, Orchid. I'm glad she richly blessed and graced your life and the world around her. My heart and prayers are with you as you and your partner journey through your loss.

(Maya Angelou)

#159870 - 09/15/08 03:39 AM Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death [Re: Eagle Heart]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: Eagle Heart
She sounds like a beautiful, heart-lifting woman, Orchid. I'm glad she richly blessed and graced your life and the world around her. My heart and prayers are with you as you and your partner journey through your loss.

Heart-lifting is a very good word to describe her capacity of gentle giving..over and over. Right now, my dearie is checking on the strange results of German translation software used on his long letter for informing rest of relatives in Germany. Lots of manual editorial corrections right now...

She was an observing Catholic but didn't wear it much on her sleeve. She had a rosary which most interestingly her adult granddaughter really would like to have as a keepsake. But we think it got lost in the nursing home somehow a few months ago.

And Dancing Dolphin, yes her death is probably the most ideal and peaceful way to end.

#159874 - 09/15/08 06:50 AM Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death [Re: orchid]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Orchid, I am so sorry for your loss. Big Hugs!!!

#159877 - 09/15/08 07:38 AM Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death [Re: diamond50]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Orchid, I am very sorry for the loss suffered by you and your companion. The lady mentioned sounds like a grand lady that lived a long and wonderful life. God bless you all...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#159878 - 09/15/08 07:40 AM Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death [Re: diamond50]
Mountain Ash Offline

Sounds like a gentle passing..
Please accept my thoughts at this time.
Singing cannot be underestimated as a tool
for unity and joy..
Mountain ash

#159886 - 09/15/08 12:22 PM Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death [Re: Mountain Ash]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
Dear Orchid

I'm sending lots of hugs and prayers to you and your family. This sounds like a woman many of us could emulate and I soooooo appreciate you sharing the Light of her with this group. I find it amazing to hear of the gifts she shared with you, your companion and the world at large. We can't underestimate the joy she shared in her long life. I know you will miss her a lot and I *love* the tribute you gave her.

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#159887 - 09/15/08 12:34 PM Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death [Re: Mama Red]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Orchid, it's true that some people choose the time to let go of this life and pass on. She had so recently received the gift of visits from loved ones. It could be that after singing she fell asleep in a very deep peace. She sounds like a wonderful lady and you're blessed to have had her for so long. Bless you and yours.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved