The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 139 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#84291 - 08/02/06 03:31 PM Chasing the dead
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I'm really irritated. We continue to receive phone calls from some credit collection company about my dead FIL's credit card debt.

I no longer try to avoid or ignore the phone calls and just talked "turkey" with the latest person who called. Maybe if I do this, they will stop calling. They have even traced his grandchildren and called them.

The man was 90 years old. Seems he stopped making payments on his credit card in 2004. Well, yeah, that was when he was put under Hospice Care!

Did he drive/own a vehicle? Now, that's a scary thought!

Did he have a 401K? That's ridiculous. The man had very little.

Did he own a boat? Too stupid to even answer.

Life insurance? Nope.

Who paid for his funeral? I wanted to say, none of your business but just answered, my husband.

Did he own a house? It was signed over to his daughter many years ago.

But this was the topper: Wouldn't you, as his family, like to get together and resolve this debt? Uh, no, why would we? I'm sure you charged that poor man, along with the rest of the world, enough interest to more than make up for anything that is remaining on this debt.

She said they would continue to do an asset search and I told her to have fun.

I don't know how long they will continue to call but this is just so irritating! Leave him alone and let him rest in peace and while you're at it, leave the rest of us alone too!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#84292 - 08/02/06 09:46 PM Re: Chasing the dead [Re: Dianne]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
That doesn't even sound legal. They have no business bothering grandchildren. They are such vultures. If they call you back, threaten to report them to the attorney general.

Louisa

#84293 - 08/03/06 07:13 AM Re: Chasing the dead [Re: Louisa]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Dianne: Agencies acting for banks and credit card companies can be ruthless in squeezing blood out of stone when pursuing debt recovery and the process can be very protracted. Often credit cards have payment protection insurance facilities which allow for these debts to be written off. Have they been formally informed of your father-in-law's demise? It might help, so that the necessary processes could be put in place so no further harrassment is incurred.

#84294 - 08/03/06 02:18 PM Re: Chasing the dead [Re: Lola]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Along with losing his ashes, we're having a problem getting his death certificate. It's been a real nightmare but my SIL is working to get that done.

My frame of mind now is, Bring it on! Want to call me about this? I'll give you a run for your money because I know you can write this off and are just hoping to make money trying to collect money from those who don't owe you! Torment me, I'll torment you right back. They are vultures! I'm doing this for my FIL!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#84295 - 08/03/06 05:15 PM Re: Chasing the dead [Re: Dianne]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Dainne, sorry you have to deal with this. What's up with these people?

In a way it reminds me of soemthing Dad went through when Mom died. For over a year, he tried to get her name taken off the phone bill. For over a year! Every month (bless his heart) he phoned them and shared that her name was still on the bill and she had died. Every month the bill came and there was her name again. Every month he spoke with another person who said they were taking care of it. Isn't it ridiculous that they put these elderly people through this? There's no reason for it! What's the big deal? Open a data base and take her name off the darn bill! It can't be that hard.

#84296 - 08/03/06 08:01 PM Re: Chasing the dead
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Dianne, I can't say much to your problem, other than bureaucracy is idiocy; but your post title would be an awesome book title. Who knows what this is all good for...maybe you should write a book on it, or at least use the title.
"Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm...show em girl!"

#84297 - 08/03/06 09:44 PM Re: Chasing the dead [Re: Edelweiss]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I couldn't write a book on it but maybe a chapter!

Oh my word. They called again this afternoon! I told her, Look, I know you're just doing your job but at what point does one of your computers talk to the other computers and how long will you continue to call about this because all you're doing is prolonging our grief. My FIL had nothing, which I've already told you so to continue to call us will not change that fact. I'm not going to lie to you because I have no reason to do so. We're trying to get his death certificate from the same morons who lost his ashes so please understand what we're dealing with here.

She said she made note of what I said and I could hear her typing. Who knows if it will work and who knows when the idiots will send his death certificate.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#84298 - 08/03/06 10:21 PM Re: Chasing the dead [Re: Dianne]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Dianne these people have NO LEGAL right to call and bother anyone. If they could have collected from anyone after 2004 when he stopped paying his card, they would have. I spoke to my friend today in the States Attorneys office and he said, "they work off of fear and nuisance tactics. Tell her to just hang up each time without a word and they will eventually go away, until they sell the info to the next lower on the totem poll collector who may try calling." All these maggots prey on a persons ignorance of the law and their fear...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#84299 - 08/04/06 12:28 PM Re: Chasing the dead [Re: chatty lady]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Thanks for checking on that, Chatty. I think this is what happened, it got passed on to another vulture company.

You know what really bothers me about this? Saying my FIL had nothing. I feel like I'm disrespecting him when I have to say that. He was comfy...in his home...being taken care of...not in a nursing home. He wanted for nothing. David would have taken care of anything extra, which he did. But, I don't like saying that! So, I asked him, in a prayer, what would he have me to say? The answer I got was...do whatever it takes to get rid of them! I sure don't care! LOL!

They called when David was home once and he told them that it was their job to do their own research, not his, and he hung up on them.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#84300 - 08/04/06 01:21 PM Re: Chasing the dead [Re: Dianne]
Rev. Dr. Betsie H. Poinsett Offline

Loc: North Georgia Mountains
You are not responsible for his debts unless you or David (or someone else) was listed as a co-owner. My husband just died and I was told by a lawyer that I am not responsbile for any debts that are just in his name. I wrote "deceased" on some bills and sent them back. On the most "legal" ones I sent a copy of the death certificate. If you have caller ID, don't even answer these calls. You are not responsible for them. Stick to your guns!! Love, Betsie Poinsett

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved