The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 123 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#130896 - 11/01/07 01:50 PM Anything Can Trigger It!
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
We had over a hundred children come to our door last night (Hallowe'en). Hubby usually hands out the treats, since I'm not a big Hallowe'en fan. In one of the longer lulls in the evening, the doorbell suddenly rang a long series of constant rings - without a moment's hesitation, and with great excitement, I jumped out of my chair and ran to the door - it was Gary's ring! It wasn't until I got to the door that I remembered that it couldn't possibly be Gary...but as illogical as it was (six months since he died) I found myself wishing with all my heart that it would be him standing there when I opened that door.

The poor kid at the door didn't know what to do when I burst into tears...

(Maya Angelou)

#130897 - 11/01/07 05:44 PM Re: Anything Can Trigger It! [Re: Eagle Heart]
Mountain Ash Offline

All our senses are used in living (I typed loving by mistake)
and for me smell...of soap of apples of furniture polish evoke home..But its when our guards are down we get surprised like you did Eagle.Also certain hymns at church get me right in the heart..especially children hymns which make me childlike emotionally.Keep the faith Eagle.
Mountain ash

#130898 - 11/01/07 06:01 PM Re: Anything Can Trigger It! [Re: Mountain Ash]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Triggers, for me and for most anyone, happen suddenly. I've written about this before here. You can be going through your day anywhere when something happens....the first few bars of a song, a scent (which I think is a biggie), an observation and WHAMMMM, you get hit in the heart and soul immediately...no matter how you were feeling or what you were doing when the trigger happened. It's grief. It can well up from your toes like lightening. Eagle, my big brother passed away suddenly 12 long years ago at the age of 52. He was 12 years older than me and like a second Dad...actually more like my real dad when I was little. We shared a love for 50's music and the era all our lives and constantly exchanged doowop music and our interests. I've accepted that this is a real part of why I go to sock hops, have 50's outfits and loads of CD's of old music. (And what a bargain when I met and married a man 3 years ago with a gorgeous '58 classic and one who restores them also!) Sorry to digress like that. The anniversary of his death is Monday the 5th. I've learned that with time you hopefully learn to let the emotions come and wash over you and keep on draining off. I don't let them cripple me as they did the first year or two but, again, that's time healing. Eagle, my heart goes out to you. You will feel all those things and learn from them. Those darn triggers. I still get weepy over certain things and it's a part of my life now that I've accepted.

#130900 - 11/04/07 08:09 PM Re: Anything Can Trigger It! [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Anne, sorry to hear about the job, but perhaps it's a blessing you didn't get any morei nvolved. I understand your need to tell Mom. I recall that today.

I was just at my niece's and she had this soap in the bathroom that smelled exactly like the bar of soap I decorated for Mom while in kindergarten. It was a craft we did for our mothers and Mom saved it. We simply used beads and attached them to the soap with straight pins. Simple. but she chose to save it. I'll never forget that scent.

I thought it was cool that I was at my niece's when it happened. I was visitning her and her husband, and their two year old daughter whom Mom never met.

Eagle, wow, what a disappointment. As you know, these things will get better with time. I have a certain knock I use when I visit Dad.

#130901 - 11/05/07 12:11 AM Re: Anything Can Trigger It!
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I can't go to Temple services anymore. I cry (wail) through them because it was such a big part of my Dad's/our life. I still want to call and talk to him about everything. My sense of loss has lessened in the last five years, but not by much.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#130902 - 11/05/07 10:15 AM Re: Anything Can Trigger It! [Re: Saundra]
Mountain Ash Offline

I had my tonsils removed when I was seven.I had lifebouy soap then.Granny said it was special for hospital.If I ever use that I reall the cubical bathroom.Think our brain and scent are closly linked.A suvival thing perhaps.
Mountain ash

#130903 - 11/05/07 12:30 PM Re: Anything Can Trigger It! [Re: Mountain Ash]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
I think the scent thing is huge! Can anything else take a travel back in time quicker?

#130905 - 11/09/07 10:06 PM Re: Anything Can Trigger It! [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I love a pleasant smell and it always heightens my good mood; but a bad smell, and I am instantly ticked off and even psychically ill. My nose is ultra ensitive...must be the bloodhound in me.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#130906 - 11/10/07 02:18 PM Re: Anything Can Trigger It! [Re: chatty lady]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
my mums perfume was quite a stronmg one and the car and seat belts smelled of it for a while after she diead, a strange feeling in the car at times. Happie to smell it but sad at same time. my mum diead boxing day DEC 26th. it was the whole next yr that walking past the perfume shop seeing her perfume and thinking "oh i go with then old trusted favourites that i would get her a bottle for christmass". I think it was at the point, when i knew i couldn't buy her it that i trulie relised that she was reallie dead.

eagle lifes gonna be strange like that for a while. Then comes a time that ones is no longer so easilie triggered into those tyypes of memories of certine people. That reallie is another sad time and stage to be in.
i whish ya well at this time eagle xx

#130907 - 11/10/07 02:28 PM Re: Anything Can Trigger It! [Re: celtic_flame]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Thanks Celtic. I've missed your voice and presence here.

This holiday season is intolerably painful this year. It's downright excruciating. The difference between this time last year and now is too painful to contemplate. Because of Gary's death and another ongoing family crisis that erupted the same week that Gary died, my family, the family I've celebrated Christmas and life with for 50+ years, no longer exists. Compared to the houseful of family that played and laughed here last year, well, it's mind-bogglingly sad.

As I said in another post, the only thing keeping me sane is shopping for my granddaughter. Perhaps I've latched onto the mission of making her Christmas happy as my lifeline through this season. I'm also increasingly glad that we booked ourselves on that cruise at Christmas. The deeper we get into the season, the harder it's getting to keep my head and heart above the grief.

(Maya Angelou)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved