The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 120 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#119128 - 05/21/07 12:20 AM overwhelmed..trying to find my balance...
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
My friend, who lost her husband, is not doing well at all. I try to go see her as often as i possibly can..but it takes alot out of me..naturally..so I need a break.. And now my daughter is having serious problems around her oldest boy, 10 yrs tomorrow. And she needs our support and practical help too. I´ll have to explain about that another time. Just haven´t got the energy to write it all now.

How does one "keep a cool head" and some sort of inner balance thru all this? Or I won´t be good for anyone..including my immediate family. I still have my 17 yr old living at home with me!

I suppose that if I am writing this to you all at 2 am in the morning..monday morning.. (swedish time)..then I am still among the living and there´s hope! I have lot going on at work right now..end of school things..and my bad conscience of not being able to visit my friend or my daughter as I would like, is not easy to bear..

Any thoughts, directions are most welcome from you! I am so grateful for anything! Thanks and love to you all! Have a wonderful sunday evening!!!

#119129 - 05/21/07 02:14 AM Re: overwhelmed..trying to find my balance... [Re: humlan]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
If you try to see your friend as often as you can...then you are allready doing alot. Sometimes just a phone call is enough to let someone know you are thinking of them.

By the way I'm wandering around in the wee morning too, humlun. Maybe it's the moom tonight. Excuse me while I howl.

#119130 - 05/21/07 11:54 AM Re: overwhelmed..trying to find my balance... [Re: Edelweiss]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Finding a balance and maintaining one's own solid ground is difficult when you're a compassionate caring person. It has taken me many breakdowns to figure out that it's not only good to do so, it's CRITICAL to do so. It's very critical that we find the way to care for the people we love without "owning" their pain and making it ours and allowing them/their pain to weigh us down so much that we're no longer able to carry our OWN selves through our own trials and hurdles of each day.

I've recently stumbled across what's called "the Law of Allowing" - it's part of the Law of Attraction philosophy. As someone who tends to take on the pain of the world to the point of letting it break me, it's been very beneficial to me to read and incorporate this "law of allowing" into my everyday thinking. Essentially it's about allowing others to be who they are and caring about them - without allowing their actions, behaviours, pain and feelings to have a detrimental impact on my well-being to the point of negating who I am (how many of us take on so much of another's pain that we lose all sense of who we are anymore).

There's a fine balance, and I would think that it's different for each of us, and some of us are NOT wired to absorb as much as perhaps we perceive other people absorbing. We must find our limitation and claim our own solid ground and not allow another's pain to come in any further than that perimeter that we've set for ourselves. That's hard to do, because as compassionate people, we ARE wired to care deeply - and it's impossible to just switch that off. But if we're going to maintain our own sanity, it is crucial that we DO learn when and how to switch it off.

The more I read and learn about love, about how to love others and to be loved, the more I'm recognizing the wisdom of learning how to love ourselves FIRST - that's not meant to become narcissistic or selfish, but meant to help us learn how taking care of ourselves and making sure we have everything we need to be healthy and whole (diet, exercise, etc) then allows us to take better (wiser) care of others. It's all connected - our ability to take care of others is connected to how well we are able to maintain care and well-being of ourselves. That's perhaps where we lose our balance - when we forget to love and take care of ourselves, everything else will be off-balance.

So make sure that you carve out time and "solid ground" for yourself in the midst of caring for your friend and other loved ones - it could be the difference between being able to CONTINUE caring for them or breaking down from the weight of all of that overwhelming extra pain, which isn't yours to own and not yours to carry.

(Maya Angelou)

#119131 - 05/21/07 03:22 PM Re: overwhelmed..trying to find my balance... [Re: Eagle Heart]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

Finding a balance and maintaining one's own solid ground is difficult when you're a compassionate caring person. It has taken me many breakdowns to figure out that it's not only good to do so, it's CRITICAL to do so. It's very critical that we find the way to care for the people we love without "owning" their pain and making it ours and allowing them/their pain to weigh us down so much that we're no longer able to carry our OWN selves through our own trials and hurdles of each day.

EAgleheart, that's very wise advice. You sound as if you have grown deeper inside yourself to give this type of advice...and have travelled far beyond some of us so far.

By the way, you have said you were afraid to venture out... seems like you have far more courage than you give yourself credit.

#119132 - 05/21/07 05:49 PM Re: overwhelmed..trying to find my balance... [Re: Eagle Heart]
humlan Offline

THANK YOU so much for your quick responses. I really needed this! The first thing I did when I got home today was check this forum. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! It means everything to know that there are some people out there that understand and are with me!

Eagle Heart your answer has to do with what I am battling with at the moment. Everything you wrote is so true! And I think that this is what life is trying to teach me/us. It´s a very difficult balance act, but very very important.

I have even gone so far, in the past, to feel sorry for myself when there is alot going on around me! I have just recently realized this! And probably by my behavior, forced my friends to pity me because life is so difficult for "me". I am ashamed when I think of this now. I have had alot of sorrow in my own life..yes..loosing my daughter to liver disease is one thing, etc. etc. But to feel sorry for myself because others in my near circle are having a hard time??? I am ashamed and surprised to have discovered this about myself!

I´ve checked your blogg and see that you have very difficult things to carry also. Thank you again for taking the time to write to me. It really means so much just at this time. I think you know that, too. Being the person that you are.

I´ve had a whiskey and a cig at the computer and now I have to eat something.

Thank you so much.

#119133 - 05/21/07 06:05 PM Re: overwhelmed..trying to find my balance... [Re: humlan]
humlan Offline

Just have to add one more thought.. I have a card in my kitchen that reminds me that "waiting is sometimes an active response" or something to that effect. Today I called my friend who is grieving and she is going to meet another friend at a restaurant! A big step for her at the moment! You see, I am not the center of the universe! And my daughter had a talk with the school principal where her son, my granchild, goes. She managed that conversation very firmly and clearly! Sooooo...waiting and trusting in the universal light and wisdom that is within us all, is not such a bad idea sometimes! I am not GOD who has to make everything happen or BE everywhere... just a thought..

Thank you again!

#119134 - 05/21/07 06:12 PM Re: overwhelmed..trying to find my balance... [Re: humlan]
Mountain Ash Offline

I feel the "middle road" neither too much to the right or the left is a place to aim to be.
I understand about the end of term when things get hectic.
I understand too about reading the forum when I have had distress.
Look after yourself.
Mountain ash

#119136 - 05/21/07 11:49 PM Re: overwhelmed..trying to find my balance... [Re: ]
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Humlan: Eagle's advise is, indeed, wise. We get caught up taking care of others and trying to solve and bear their struggles, and... we end up forgetting to take care of ourselves. Sooner or later, we see the results... devastating at times.

I pray for your friend, yourself and yours. I pray for all of us, knowing that we each have our own struggles and circumstances.

But "love your neighbor as you love yourself" is there for a reason. (And I've had to learn this the hard way). I can only give what I have, so I NEED to take care of myself if I'm going to be of any help to others.

Blessings!
NABBW & NAWW

#119137 - 05/22/07 12:53 AM Re: overwhelmed..trying to find my balance... [Re: Songbird]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Eagle Heart is so very wise....

I remember a saying I heard once that I sometimes pass along to my clients: Dear Humlan, I don't need your help today. Thanks, God.

#119138 - 05/22/07 02:35 AM Re: overwhelmed..trying to find my balance... [Re: humlan]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:

I have even gone so far, in the past, to feel sorry for myself when there is alot going on around me...I have had alot of sorrow in my own life..yes..loosing my daughter to liver disease is one thing, etc. etc. But to feel sorry for myself because others in my near circle are having a hard time??? I am ashamed and surprised to have discovered this about myself!

Humlan, I've been pondering this part of your post for awhile. You know yourself better than I do, and you're the only one who knows the "core truth" at the root of what's going on inside of you. So I offer my perspective with respect and recognition of your ownership of that truth.

But I wonder if you're being just a little too harsh on yourself here...grief isn't just a one-shot deal...it's an ongoing journey that can appear to be over and then, WHAM, something somewhere hits us right out of the blue and opens that wound and we ooze with raw pain as if no time has passed at all. When you see other people suffering around you, it may not be "self-pity" that's at play, it may be that their pain is reawakening your own profound sadness and agony of absence. Other people's situations ripple memories and connections to our own lost loved ones. How many times have I heard people complain about their mothers - and those complaints are absolutely justified in those respective person's circumstances - but it immediately ripples into my own agony of absence for my Mom - who I used to complain about when she was still alive - but who, now, I would give ANYTHING to see and hold for just one more day, hour, moment. That doesn't negate anyone else's feelings or their right to own their respective circumstances and perspectives - it means that I'm still not done with my own journey through this grief. And that's okay, simply because it is what it is.

I wallow in that pain...I allow myself to feel it, and sometimes I want/need others to know that this is an "ouch" moment, not because I want their pity, but because I don't want to be alone with this agony. Perhaps there's a point at which it could become self-pity, but I wouldn't be so quick to be so harsh on yourself - grief is a long road to travel, loss is forever and the pain of losing loved ones is perhaps one of the truest things we experience to the core of our beings. We can't expect ourselves to be totally immune to the ripple effect of other people's pain when it echoes so loudly into our own holes and rekindles that agony of absence.

I used to be very hard on myself. But I'm learning to appreciate what a complex, intricately interwoven person I am, with all of my history, experience, feelings and pain blending together into this amazing tapestry. So instead of impatiently flinging my faults at myself, now I tend to investigate further to find that core truth at the root of those "faults", and more often than not, I find unresolved pain there...now I'm daring to be as compassionate with my wounded self as I would with any of my wounded friends and/or family members.

Maybe what you're encountering in yourself is self-pity, but something tells me that at the root of what you call self-pity is actually a profound sadness that still oozes out when other people's pain reminds you that you're still not finished your own journey through this grief...

I hope you don't mind me picking at this - the truth is that I heard echoes of myself in your post and know from experience that I need to be more patient and compassionate toward myself, especially in regard to dealing with the long term manifestations of my grief that continue to ooze out at unexpected moments and are triggered by the most surprising sources.

Edited by Eagle Heart (05/22/07 02:46 AM)

(Maya Angelou)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved