The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 176 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#14911 - 04/20/05 07:47 AM Murrah bombing
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
This is such an emotional day for me. It is the tenth anniversary of the Murrah Bombing in Oklahoma City.
I was there and was forever changed by it. It was not the blood or the injured or the dead that invade my memory. It is the building. When I stepped in front of the building, evil fell onto my chest and was thick in the air. I will never forget the smell of it and the way it suffocated us.

I wanted to forget that evil forever. I threw away the certificates and medals mailed to me by the Red Cross and I have never visited the memorial. I wanted to forever wipe the whole experience from my mind.
But today, as on every April 19, I remember and mourn. I mourn the loss of life and also the loss of innocence.
Oklahoma was always my safe haven. I always knew I could come home and be safe from whatever chaos was in the rest of the world. But on that day all of that was shattered.
My memories of the day are horrific, but I hang the memory of the Oklahonmans who responded in love and how by the end of the day the evil that had been so thick in the air had been overcome by the greater love.
Despite the loss and the memories, I have never been prouder to be an Oklahoman.

Please pray for our country.
smile

#14912 - 04/20/05 07:58 AM Re: Murrah bombing
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
That was a horrible thing that happened that day. I'm sorry that you had to witness it. There was a beautiful article in our paper yesterday to remind us about it and tells of some of the good (better security) that came out of such a horrific event.

#14913 - 04/19/05 10:44 PM Re: Murrah bombing
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Smile,
This has been on my heart all day. I wasn't anywhere near the building, or even in the same country, but the memory is forever seared in my mind and heart. Everytime I'm drawn to pray against the evil of hatred and violence throughout the world, the Murrah building is always there foremost in my mind, along with 9/11 and so many other horrific events that have scarred our "safe havens". We have not forgotten, will not forget, and will continue to battle back with prayer, light, kindness and love. We will triumph.

#14914 - 04/20/05 06:33 AM Re: Murrah bombing
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Dear Smile, I am so sorry you had to witness this trauma. How horrible! I am so sorry for the evil that was placed upon your beautiful state of Oklahoma, and the city, which did nothing to deserve this evil act, and had no way of defending itself. It is good that you are able to feel what good has come out of such evil. Love and Light, Lynn

#14915 - 04/20/05 07:19 AM Re: Murrah bombing
smilinize Offline

Thank you ladies. This is always a hard day for all of us here and I suppose for the country.
Just to correct one thing, I was there by choice. I was driving past the Red Cross when they were calling for volunteers on the radio. I saw the smoke, but had no idea what I was volunteering for. I had been a Red Cross Nurse in the past and I just went there. I was one of the first to volunteer so was taken to the site immediately. I became a first responder.
The most horrifyingly evil part was the building, but the sad part was that there was nothing we could do. Only one person was actually rescued after the first victims walked or were carried out. My neighbor, a doctor, amputated her leg while blood from bodies in the rubble overhead dripped on him. I got an IV for her, but he did the surgery under local.
In some ways the OKC bombing was worse than 9/11 because it brought us face to face with our vulnerability and it came from one of our own. But just like everyone who was there noticed, before the day was over, that overwhelming evil had been overcome by love.
It was a powerful day.
smile

#14916 - 04/20/05 10:30 PM Re: Murrah bombing
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
smile, I find it just like you to stop what you were doing and go to the aid of your fellow man. May God continue to bless those who are called to serve within our country and beyond.

I pray today is a better day!

#14917 - 04/21/05 01:56 AM Re: Murrah bombing
smilinize Offline

Thank you Dotsie. This is a better day.
Every day is better than that day.
But every April 19, I remember those 168 deaths and recall those feelings of terror and helplessness then I move on thankful that it is over.
smile

#14918 - 04/21/05 10:19 AM Re: Murrah bombing
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
You may remember evil, but those who came in contact with you remember the light you brought. I'm sorry for your pain.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved